U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM

339 posts, read 678,347 times

Advertisements

Hello...we are retired parents and wish to be closer to our grandchildren/kids. Previously interested in Boise ID until notified son and family will be moving to Highland Ranch area in the near future from Hawaii. Moving from 3 acres in rural Virginia will be a change for sure however we do not need to be "right next door". Over the years we have migrated across country coming from suburbia life styles in San Diego, Tucson and a resort area in western Virginia.

Now we have the opportunity to be allot closer however not sure the Highland Ranch area is good for us. We are both retired, have fixed income, great health and love to be active and housing needs would be around $230K max. We want to play golf, dine out, better shopping than WalMart, and have nice grocery stores..{hubby likes to cook}. Highland Ranch appears to be a very structured ,managed and expensive place to live for young families. Considering health issues which we have none accept concerned about air and water quality.

Ft Collins looked interesting however how far of a drive is that from Highland Ranch? We can drive to anywhere and like getting out...so do not need to rely on public transportation etc. Big thing is we do not want to live in any age restricted place even though we are in our 60's. We have two doggies so a small yard would be a must if considering a town home. We do not ski nor interested in snow sports accept to maybe sit at the lodge bar and check out the scenery:} Low crime rate is a must. This all being said if the forum could give us some places to consider would really appreciate it. Thank you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Within an hour drive of HR, there's the north end of COLO SPGS, an area called Briargate, zip 80920.

See if this search works for you: 80920, SFH, NTE $230k. Search is currently returning 63 properties.

The whole area is new or newish, nothing at all sketchy, great shopping and eating nearby and some minor league sports in town for not much ticket money.

In the COLO SPGS forum, go to the Index of Key Threads and look at the Zip Code 80920 Photo Tour.

This might work well for you, as well as other places in the Denver Metro Area.

There's a lot to choose from in the region.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 18 days ago)

10,882 posts, read 29,307,638 times
There is more to love in Douglas County than just Highlands Ranch. Roxborough, Parker, Castle Rock, Centennial in Arapahoe county.

$230,000 will be your strictest limitation.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,445,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Hello...we are retired parents and wish to be closer to our grandchildren/kids. Previously interested in Boise ID until notified son and family will be moving to Highland Ranch area in the near future from Hawaii. Moving from 3 acres in rural Virginia will be a change for sure however we do not need to be "right next door". Over the years we have migrated across country coming from suburbia life styles in San Diego, Tucson and a resort area in western Virginia.

Now we have the opportunity to be allot closer however not sure the Highland Ranch area is good for us. We are both retired, have fixed income, great health and love to be active and housing needs would be around $230K max. We want to play golf, dine out, better shopping than WalMart, and have nice grocery stores..{hubby likes to cook}. Highland Ranch appears to be a very structured ,managed and expensive place to live for young families. Considering health issues which we have none accept concerned about air and water quality.

Ft Collins looked interesting however how far of a drive is that from Highland Ranch? We can drive to anywhere and like getting out...so do not need to rely on public transportation etc. Big thing is we do not want to live in any age restricted place even though we are in our 60's. We have two doggies so a small yard would be a must if considering a town home. We do not ski nor interested in snow sports accept to maybe sit at the lodge bar and check out the scenery:} Low crime rate is a must. This all being said if the forum could give us some places to consider would really appreciate it. Thank you..
You can find decent sized acreage a little bit south of Highlands Ranch--Sedalia, Castle Rock, even Larkspur. Larkspur happens to be very popular with retirees who want a little bit of space.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Brighton is affordable.
$230K is low for greater Denver.
north end of Thornton.
Erie.
Parts of Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Lakewood.

I would do one of 2 actions:
1. Move here and rent.
2. Ask your son to do "on the ground" research after he has moved here. Then buy.

Denver is similar to Tucson, but cooler in the Summer and colder in the Winter.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
'We can drive to anywhere and like getting out...so do not need to rely on public transportation etc. "

Good for you BUT what happens when you can no longer drive and that day will come, sooner than you think.

I moved my parents out here in their 60s about 30 years ago. They drove everywhere but they eventually needed the support of public transit. I am now in my 60s and I now need the support of public transit because of a sudden disability. Nice to hear that you are independent but I would suggest you think ahead for where you want to live. Even if you do not like using public transit, or anticipated using public transit, it is nice to have an option in case your car needs repair. I would suggest a walkable neighborhood near basic shopping and good public transit. You will also need to think about your increasing need for healthcare as you are getting into that age and that will happen regardless of your current health and optimism--so I would not recommend a remote area.

The Denver area has excellent public transit and it can help you if you want to also drive less and make a more relaxing trip if you, for example, wanted to take a quick trip to Downtown Denver for all the amenities or a football game without the worry of traffic and parking.

Your budget for housing is on the lower end but that does not mean good housing is not available. I think Fort Collins would be more problematic for you to find good housing. Look in Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood--Oh, I see it was already mentioned.

Livecontent

Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
Take a look at the Eastlake area of Thornton. You can get a detached house, attached house or townhouse in your price range. There will be more on the market this spring but you can see the selling prices on zillow.com. Do a search on Eastlake Colorado.

Eventually at some point far off in the future Eastlake will have a light rail station. It is far enough off that the prices are still inexpensive. The area is wonderful for walking your dogs and there is a nice mix of age ranges utilizing the trail system. The kids I've seen riding bikes or playing with their families are well behaved and it is a very pleasant place.

There is a Sprouts and Vitamin Cottage nearby along with the usual King Soopers. Not walking distance but a close drive. They are nice clean modern stores.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM

339 posts, read 678,347 times
Default OK it is expensive there and how much snow?

Well...allot of good info. Found search engine that you can put in different cities and get comparison info about median home price, air and water quality, crime, cost of living, weather and even value for toxic waste sites, all things I am concerned with. Since we are not concerned with schools, I put in suggested areas with the exception of ones that were to small. I can see why our price will be an issue in some places accept for maybe a condo and the amount of snow shown is for real? My son is coming from Hawaii where prices are way more expensive so his prospective on areas that look good may be distorted for us.

We do not want to live in the sticks and yes would like to have a well thought out transportation system. Light rail would be cool but not necessary at this time. We have learned to be content with not living in a large suburbia area and will be checking out some of the suggested smaller communities with the amenities we enjoy and of course housing in our price range. Thank you for all the info..

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
I would stick with North CoS, so you are on the correct side of Denver.

Normally I woudl suggest Loveland, Berthoud but I'm not keen on making life miserable with adding traffic / commute to son's place.

If you get the correct home in CoS (with basement or extra living space for them to comfortably visit), they will be down to visit PLENTY as a means to escape Denver Metro.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 AM

286 posts, read 575,116 times
Smile How far to good Hospital?

I live in Arizona,but would like land and very small home in Larkspur.
I am retired,have numerous failed spine surgeries and must have full
service pain clinic close by.
Research and visits indicate a long drive.
Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or