U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times

Advertisements

Developers are planning a development in downtown Trinidad that is said to be valued at $30 million. This is great news for the small town of about 10,000 people. I lived in Trinidad for a while back when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of positive things to say about the place. I won't share any negative thoughts on the town, but I will say that it does not do a good enough job leveraging its geographic location to its advantage. It is in a very awesome location and could be a fantastic "gateway" city into Colorado from the south. Now it does seem like the town has made A LOT of progress since my time there. This development will hopefully take it to the next level. Here's a link to the write up in the Gazette:

$30M development planned for downtown Trinidad | cimino, development, trinidad - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
One thing I will say is they have a cute downtown. If this happens it would be good for the town.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
That's great for Trinidad! I haven't been there before, but I've checked it out on Google maps a few times. It strikes me as a place that could easily be a top Colorado destination if it had some cool attraction. The location is very beautiful and the downtown seems to be pretty large for a city of only 10,000. Don't know about anyone esle but I'm slightly interested in this place.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,445,057 times
Trinidad is beautiful. We stopped at McDonald's on the way to Santa Fe last fall. We both decided we need to make a dedicated trip back out there next summer!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:34 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
I worked on a pipeline project that went a few miles east of there in '82. During a 4 month stretch most of the welders, laborers, and the drivers stayed in Raton but probably 25% of the men stayed in Trinidad because they loved it. Most of the men lived out of state. I stayed in contact with a lot of those guys and some of them bought indeed places in Trinidad after they retired. It's had its ups and downs but the town still hangs in there.

An interesting development plan here.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,603,494 times
I like Trinidad, visit it every year. Stay at a B&B on 2nd street every year. I hope this news turns out great. Trinidad, Pagosa, and Chama are on my list for retirement if anyone ever wants to buy a ranch in Eastern OK. I will be in Trinidad in the next few months looking at property on the Santa Fe Trail which is on the Raton Pass.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM

[Qs since my time there. This development will hopefully take it to the next level. Here's a link to the write up in the Gazette:

$30M development planned for downtown Trinidad | cimino, development, trinidad - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO[/quote]

Wow that sure would be nice. What about that golf course that never took off. Have you heard anything about that. I'll check it out when I am there but for the last 5 years, it has been completed. The hotel and all is just half build and nothing else. There are about a dozen homes on the golf course but nothing else. That seemed scary to me.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post

Wow that sure would be nice. What about that golf course that never took off. Have you heard anything about that. I'll check it out when I am there but for the last 5 years, it has been completed. The hotel and all is just half build and nothing else. There are about a dozen homes on the golf course but nothing else. That seemed scary to me.
I heard that the gentleman who had all the money in that development passed away and the development group pretty much fell apart after his passing. It would take someone with money and a willingness to take a risk on it to buy the place and finish it off.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM

It looks horrible to see a half built hotel. I would think before putting money into the town I'd get that thing up and going. Now the brewery should would be nice to see working again. The railroad area is neat. I like to spend time there when I visit Trinidad. Thinking of driving up next month.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
It looks horrible to see a half built hotel. I would think before putting money into the town I'd get that thing up and going. Now the brewery should would be nice to see working again. The railroad area is neat. I like to spend time there when I visit Trinidad. Thinking of driving up next month.
That's the choice of the individual developers who choose to undertake projects in Trinidad (or anywhere else.) The half finished hotel is certainly a buzz kill, but the only recourse the city has is to throw some massive incentives out there to any developer who would like to get the project across the finish line. As it stands, I think more people will benefit from the development downtown because it will expand the footprint of the city's central business district and show case a part of town that right now is run down and could use a big time face lift. And who knows, maybe it will be the start of a trend. Maybe it will usher in a few years of investment and growth and someone else will come in and get the Cougar Canyon project back underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado