U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,312 times

Advertisements

Hello,

In advance, thank you for your kind and helpful replies that are on-topic and not distracting or rude. I appreciate that.

Well, where to begin? Myself and my wife are going to be bouncing into the CO area to take a look see at FC and CS to see what would fit, but before we do, I would like to get some basic information to help us narrow down the time spent in each area.

1) First, I am a White American that was born in the Northern Arizona country and appreciate nature - so that is is important. From what I can tell, CO has a lot of nature so that should not be an issue. Trees, on the other hand are key to our happiness. Which location has the best forested areas?

2) The wife is Japanese but also appreciates nature. But, we would like to have a reasonable Asian (Japanese preferred) community around. Can you help with narrowing down Asian/Japanese markets? Good sushi, etc?

3) We would like a house with a little land, semi close to shopping (big box, small box, whatever) where we can get general daily supplies and groceries. Up to 450K for a place would be doable -- though that is variable. Safety is key - diversity does not matter as long as the area is safe.

4) We are currently stuck in PHX, which is hellacious, okat, Tempe really and would love not to be surrounded by a party school and all the poor judgment, late night noise, theft, and other issues. I am all for college education as long as it includes respect and general human decency -- unlike ASU, so can anyone tell me what the school communities are like in FC and CS?

I am sure we will have millions of other questions, but this should get me started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM

10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Fort Collins is a smaller town (150k vs 450k, give or take) with a much larger university. Colorado State is about 28,000 or so students compared to UCCS in Colorado Springs at around 10,000. Colorado Springs also is home to Colorado College, a small private school, and the Air Force Academy. Fort Collins is defined by the university much more so than is Colorado Springs defined by its universities. So if you do not necessarily want to be in a university town, consider that.

Both will have good wooded areas on the outskirts.

I am not sure that a big Asian community is something you'll find in either city. Denver is by far your best bet in this regard, but the Front Range is dominated by white and Hispanic culture.

Other than that, based on the information you've provided, I really can't say which is the better fit for you. Both are great cities. Both are pretty equal distance into Denver, so if you want/need big city amenities you still have easy access to them from either Fort Collins or Colorado Springs.

With your price range, you will be able to afford a very nice home in either city. Make a trip, spend a couple days in both and try to decide from there.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
See this thread for a LOT of answers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,312 times
Thank you both! Very helpful. Regarding Colorado Springs, can either of you give me a brief idea of the Good/Bad/Ugly in terms of neighborhoods? I have looked at the forums, and honestly a lot of the data is on safe neighborhoods seems to be a bit dated. Specifically, I am looking for:

1) Safe. Walk the dog safe. Sit on the porch at night safe. Leave a bike out on the grass accidentally, it will still be there in the morning safe.
2) Noise. Party kids, people yelling profanity, airplanes 24x7 are kind of not our scene. I realize that the area is a plane heaven, but I am looking for something where they aren't rattling windows...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJ365 View Post
Leave a bike out on the grass accidentally, it will still be there in the morning safe.
You cannot expect this anywhere in the Front Range.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Absolutely not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
You cannot expect this anywhere in the Front Range.
My neighbors in gang-riddled Berkeley leave their $400 strollers outside all the time.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My neighbors in gang-riddled Berkeley leave their $400 strollers outside all the time.
Bikes are a bit different than strollers. Any undisciplined teenager riding around on his previously-stolen bike will have no reservations about 'trading up' for a better model when given the opportunity.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Thank you both! Very helpful. Regarding Colorado Springs, can either of you give me a brief idea of the Good/Bad/Ugly in terms of neighborhoods? I have looked at the forums, and honestly a lot of the data is on safe neighborhoods seems to be a bit dated. Specifically, I am looking for:

1) Safe. Walk the dog safe. Sit on the porch at night safe. Leave a bike out on the grass accidentally, it will still be there in the morning safe.
2) Noise. Party kids, people yelling profanity, airplanes 24x7 are kind of not our scene. I realize that the area is a plane heaven, but I am looking for something where they aren't rattling windows...
North side of COLO SPGS is what you're after. No jet noise here except when a few flyovers for a football game at the USAF Academy and once a year at USAF graduation day. The busy airfield is out on the S.E. side at Peterson AFB and the city airport. Biggest issue is highway noise, stay at least a mile from I-25 or Powers Blvd.

Further north you go the better, safer, nicer, newer; i.e., IMO north of Woodmen Road, but there are fine areas all over the city and El Paso County.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,449,012 times
I've lived in both Ft Collins and the Springs, actually residing in Manitou. The one thing that impressed me with Ft. Collins, since you mentioned trees, were the hardwood tree-lined neighborhoods there.

I've lived in many towns in many states & the only place folks leave bikes, tools, etc outside for days on end without anything being touched is the little town of Red Lodge, Montana. Safest place I've ever seen!

Good luck with your research!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Quote:
2) The wife is Japanese but also appreciates nature. But, we would like to have a reasonable Asian (Japanese preferred) community around. Can you help with narrowing down Asian/Japanese markets? Good sushi, etc?
I will answer this question. The Japanese Community is mostly in Denver with some Japanese who settled near Brighton who contribute greatly to the agriculture of the region. Roots go back well over a hundred years.

In Denver their is a Japanese cultural block with shopping and housing in Downtown. It is called Sakura Square Sakura Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In that complex is a Japanese Asian Market called Pacific Mercantile Company Asian Food, Japanese Food, Japanese Gifts Also there is the large Buddhist Temple
Tri-State/Denver Buddhist Temple |

I live near a Japanese Methodist Church which is significant in an architectural style reminiscent of Japan. I often go there for their festivals and food events Simpson United Methodist Church

I would suggest that your wife contacts the Buddhist Temple or The Methodist Church and ask about the Japanese Community. I am sure they would be willing to help. It will give you much better information than from any source on the web.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or