U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 12:54 PM

704 posts, read 1,496,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a good example of why we need civil unions/ gay marriage in Colorado. If a person is in a accident and it taken to the nearest hospital then they might not have a choice as to what hospital they go to. Sometimes the only way their partner could visit them if they are gay is if they are married or in a civil union and in this situation, even if it is a religiously ran hospital, while I agree with the separation of church and state in some instances they should not be allowed to hide behind religion especially when peoples lives are at stake or the chance of seeing their loved one for the last time before he or she dies.
Separation of Church and State is not in the constitution. Notably, free exercise of religion is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
So it's not just about getting equal rights, but rather also running roughshod over the religious liberties of Catholic hospitals?

But it's never really been about the marriage rights, anyway, so much as social acceptance. I know that. And especially when you blitzkrieg religious rights in doing so, it's a disgrace--politically, morally, and also constitutionally.
If their "liberties" include discrimination, yes, that's part of it. As I said, I'd avoid a Catholic hospital at all costs, but if there were an emergency, they should be required by law to recognize my next of kin as my family.

Sorry, but if you want to pick and choose who you treat and how you treat them, then maybe the hospital business isn't for you.

I googled it and haven't found many instances of gay people having issues with Catholic hospitals, so I suspect it rarely comes up, or most people who work in Catholic hospitals are compasionate enough to allow partners visitation rights. I personally have legal documents that designate my partner as a decision-maker for my health in case of emergencies, so I would imagine they would be forced to honor the law in that case.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Here in this big red state that has doesn't happen. But I am sure you'll disagree. My daughter has worked as a charge nurse in many hospitals in OKCity (Christian) and they do not turn away gays and they allow their partners in the room. The patient makes the call. Maybe, the hospital your husband works at the patient didn't want his partner in the room! Also, in this Big Red State I do not here all this hate-speech your talking about. If going to a Christian Hospital bugs you don't go.
I honestly don't think it's an issue that comes up very often. I've taken my partner to the hospital for odd things (broken foot, apendectomy, minor surgery) and no one has ever treated us any different than a married couple. We do have POA forms, but never used them at hospitals.

And having civil unions in Colorado isn't going to cause some huge hospital issue.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,444,172 times
If you all are saying it isn't an issue (I believe you), then why is it one of the top issues constantly claimed by proponents of gay marriage?

The biggest benefits from being married come in the form of tax deductions. For that, I again claim my argument that in order to treat every individual equally, then the government should not make any differentiation between married people and single people.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,602,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I

And having civil unions in Colorado isn't going to cause some huge hospital issue.

I agree!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,420,129 times
Quote:
Here in this big red state that has doesn't happen. But I am sure you'll disagree. My daughter has worked as a charge nurse in many hospitals in OKCity (Christian) and they do not turn away gays and they allow their partners in the room. The patient makes the call. Maybe, the hospital your husband works at the patient didn't want his partner in the room! Also, in this Big Red State I do not here all this hate-speech your talking about. If going to a Christian Hospital bugs you don't go.
I didn't say it happened in Oklahoma, but it does happen. A quick google search turns up countless articles about this. Here's one example: How Hospitals Treat Same-Sex Couples - NYTimes.com

Also, it's important to note that this doesn't just happen in red states and I never said that. My husband has worked in hospitals in CO, WA, CA, and OR. I don't recall where we were living in which this happened, but it did. While you think the patient didn't want her partner in the room, that wasn't the case. It was the fact that the hospital policy only allowed family members in the room, of which this person "legally" wasn't because they weren't married or in a state or federally recognized union. It does happen!

I also never stated that going to a Christian hospital bugs me. If given the choice, I may choose not to go to one. However, in trauma situations, or small towns where only one choice is available, you really don't have a choice.

I seriously don't get why this bothers people so much. How does it affect you personally? It truly doesn't!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,444,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I seriously don't get why this bothers people so much. How does it affect you personally? It truly doesn't!
It bugs us because in so many cases like this, people can't seem to draw the line between "Government treating all people equally" and "Government FORCING businesses to treat all people equally".

The former is an core aspect of a free republic, but the latter is not.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM

13,941 posts, read 20,184,988 times
Default I am against this bill

1. It is too long
2. It has too many words that are ALL IN UPPERCASE LETTERS.
3. It has the Safety Clause.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:18 PM

179 posts, read 569,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
If you all are saying it isn't an issue (I believe you), then why is it one of the top issues constantly claimed by proponents of gay marriage?
Hospitals are full of highly educated workers, therefore they are much less prone to hate on minorities indiscriminately. But that still doesn't change the fact that it is a part of hospital policy to turn away visitors who are not legally tied to the hospitalized individual. Should a hospital employee allow a non-legally bound visitor in, and the hospitalized individual did not want them to be there, the hospitalized person could turn around and slap the hospital with an invasion of privacy claim. Whether or not that civil claim comes, it would mean termination of the employee that let the visitor in. It all depends on who is occupying the front desk that day: someone who would put their job at stake to allow a gay person to see their partner or someone who would not like to take that risk.

The practice of turning away a gay partner is legal, advocated under policy, and carries the threat of litigation and/or termination, and those are some of the many reasons why proponents of gay marriage are fighting for marriage equality. And as Delta pointed out, it does happen, and it is a very real potential issue for all gay partnerships.

Last edited by DgoNative; 01-31-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,185,002 times
Quote:
When you are unconcious in the back of an ambulence, you don't get to pick a hospital.
When you are unconcious in a hospital bed you can not have a discussion and make medical decisions.

For most of us in these situations, our wives or husbands or parents automatically are allowed to make these life and death decisions. The gay community is asking for the same rights for their life partners.

Last edited by Eddyline; 01-31-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or