U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258

Advertisements

Civil Unions will give you all the same legal rights as marriage does on the state level. The federal level is different.

This is from factcheck.org

When politicians say they support civil unions but not marriage for people of the same sex, what do they mean? We find three main differences between civil unions and marriage as it's traditionally viewed:
  • The right to federal benefits. States that allow some type of same-sex union are able to grant only state rights. The Defense of Marriage Act passed in 1996 prohibits same-sex couples from receiving federal marriage rights and benefits.
  • Portability. Because civil unions are not recognized by all states, such agreements are not always valid when couples cross state lines.
  • Terminology. "Marriage" is a term that conveys societal and cultural meaning, important to both gay rights activists and those who don't believe gays should marry.
The link: http://www.factcheck.org/what_is_a_civil_union.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258
Speaking of civil unions:

In a historic first, the Colorado’s House of Representatives gave its initial OK to a bill that would establish relationship recognition for same-sex couples here. The approval came after more than four hours of debate — a debate three years in the making. A formal vote expected on Tuesday, signals the last legislative lap before the bill is signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper, which he has promised to do.

The link: http://outfrontonline.com/focus/news...il-union-bill/

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-11-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
11,623 posts, read 7,195,062 times
Reputation: 20935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Speaking of civil unions:

In a historic first, the Colorado’s House of Representatives gave its initial OK to a bill that would establish relationship recognition for same-sex couples here. The approval came after more than four hours of debate — a debate three years in the making. A formal vote expected on Tuesday, signals the last legislative lap before the bill is signed into law by Gov. John Hickenlooper, which he has promised to do.

The link: Colorado House gives first OK to civil union bill - Out Front
I imagined four hours of gay rights advocates making intelligent statements, countered repeatedly by "but marriage is between ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN"...and just thinking about this "debate" made me almost slip into a vegetative state. I would swear I drooled a little, just now.

FWIW, I'm really proud of all of the gay rights folks who stuck it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Civil Unions will give you all the same legal rights as marriage does on the state level. The federal level is different.

This is from factcheck.org

When politicians say they support civil unions but not marriage for people of the same sex, what do they mean? We find three main differences between civil unions and marriage as it's traditionally viewed:
  • The right to federal benefits. States that allow some type of same-sex union are able to grant only state rights. The Defense of Marriage Act passed in 1996 prohibits same-sex couples from receiving federal marriage rights and benefits.
  • Portability. Because civil unions are not recognized by all states, such agreements are not always valid when couples cross state lines.
  • Terminology. "Marriage" is a term that conveys societal and cultural meaning, important to both gay rights activists and those who don't believe gays should marry.
The link: FactCheck.org: What Is a Civil Union?
I know from friends in California who are married (gay couples) that taxes are confusing now because they file together for state, but still have to file separately for federal. So even if we (my partner and I) are married in CO, if one of us dies, the survivor will still be taxed unfairly by the Federal government on the estate. Although we might be in decent shape since we were able to spend thousands of dollars to set up a trust that all our property is under. It's difficult to plan when you can't be legally married. Especially sicne we have children. One of us will die first, and the survivor needs to be financially taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I know from friends in California who are married (gay couples) that taxes are confusing now because they file together for state, but still have to file separately for federal. So even if we (my partner and I) are married in CO, if one of us dies, the survivor will still be taxed unfairly by the Federal government on the estate. Although we might be in decent shape since we were able to spend thousands of dollars to set up a trust that all our property is under. It's difficult to plan when you can't be legally married. Especially sicne we have children. One of us will die first, and the survivor needs to be financially taken care of.
Agreed this is just the first step. The next step is to see what the Supreme court does with DOMA (the defense of marriage act). From what I read I think they will strike it down then my thinking is Colorado couples who get into a civil union should get federal benefits as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,969 posts, read 1,976,621 times
Reputation: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
As expected, Senate committee passes Colorado civil unions bill - The Denver Post

;D Yay. +1 for the LGBT. It's about time.

In before all of the religious flamers come to give their thoughts.

Not only are they passing Civil Unions but also anti-slaughter gun legislation. It's a good day in Colorado!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Colorado - Oh, yeah!
833 posts, read 1,433,607 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm gay and I honestly don't know what rights a CO civil union will give me. Maybe they hand you a packet explaining it! My partner and I registered as a "domestic partnership" with the city of Denver (had to for me to get on his medical benefits) and we did it at the same window as marriage licenses. The certificate they gave us so pleasantly pointed out that were in no way "married". The ironic thing was that we were waiting around all these young straight couples (probably most of whom will end up divorced) while we were there with our two children and had already been together 15 years.

Maybe Colorado is finally tipping to "blue state status" for good
There was a time, 5 to 8 years ago (pre-Obama), when my line of thinking was that most of this country isn't ready for gay "marriage" so lets pass "civil unions" which would have 95+% of the same rights (what rights would be missing I don't recall, but at the time I knew), give it 15 years or so to let people get used to it and then nobody will care anymore so make the final transition to "full marriage" and be done with it.

This solution would have been far from perfect, but it would have moved us in the right direction and most importantly closed most of the gaps.

It turns out that our country is capable of moving in the right much faster than I thought; due in a large part to the younger generation that generally just doesn't care about such things as sexual orientation, race, etc.

I am a little disappointed that my home state has been so slow to get behind this movement, but I am happy to see it finally happening. I don't know that I want Colorado to go all-out Blue, I prefer moderation to extremism in either direction, but a decidedly bluish shade of purple would be great IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258
Talking Colorado passes civil unions legislation

Its official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SB 11 Has passed on third reading and final passage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it goes to the governor who has said he will sign it......

This is from the Coloradoan:

DENVER — Civil unions for gay couples in Colorado were delayed, but not denied. Legislation creating legal recognition and protections for couples regardless of gender gained final approval Tuesday in the Legislature.

The link: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ns-legislation




Last edited by Josseppie; 03-12-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,394 posts, read 18,231,326 times
Reputation: 11860
Outstanding! Colorado has sure come a very long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,198,316 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Not only are they passing Civil Unions but also anti-slaughter gun legislation. It's a good day in Colorado!
'
You libs are doing a good job of ruining a great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:29 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top