U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

9,379 posts, read 18,184,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
'
You libs are doing a good job of ruining a great state.
And fortunately antiquated views such as yours will die off within a generation. And Colorado is a fantastic state that keeps getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM

129 posts, read 216,085 times
I honestly don't see how this can be opposed. What negative affect does it have on society? It makes those who have been granted new freedoms happier, which is a good thing.

I'd say the divorce rate of traditional marriages is having a much worse effect on society.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,475,972 times
So pleased that equal rights for everyone is progressing. Congratulations to everyone who worked on this!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,060,844 times
Anything that helps bring all Americans closer to true equality is OK in my book!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM

11,527 posts, read 7,149,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
I honestly don't see how this can be opposed. What negative affect does it have on society? It makes those who have been granted new freedoms happier, which is a good thing.

I'd say the divorce rate of traditional marriages is having a much worse effect on society.
I completely agree.

There is a ferocious argument going on over in another forum about gay marriage...at least two recent threads of people basically yelling at each other...I had to stop reading, it was making my brain itch.

The point I desperately wanted to make there was that if the gay rights supporters "win" this, then the rights and lives of the anti-gay straight people would be unaffected. I was like...it's not like some guy is gonna force you to marry him, or you'll receive compulsary invitation to fabulous weddings. It will do nothing to "traditional" marriage. But if the anti crowd "wins" then others are harmed by continuation of the denial of equal footing under the law. In a country where fairness and equality is more important than "tradition" (which I think America is supposed to be)...this is just good sense.

But as for Colorado becoming a "blue" state...*cringe*...yeah, I'm also hoping for more a shade of purple. I'm not eager to see this place become mini-California, which is what a lot of folks I know think is happening. In practically every possible area, I want to see more rights and freedoms for individuals. That includes guns and magazines, even if guns aren't really my thing personally.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,727,232 times
This is a great day for Colorado, as we have taken a giant leap toward equality for ALL of our state's citizens.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,603,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But as for Colorado becoming a "blue" state...*cringe*...yeah, I'm also hoping for more a shade of purple. I'm not eager to see this place become mini-California, which is what a lot of folks I know think is happening. In practically every possible area, I want to see more rights and freedoms for individuals. That includes guns and magazines, even if guns aren't really my thing personally.
YES YES YES. Couldn't have said this better myself.
This is exactly how I feel and I'm not one of those single-issue gays who falls in line and blindly votes for Democrats. I'm happy that Civil Unions passed the house (even though I don't think government should be in the business of marriage anyway) but not happy about all of the other garbage that comes with being a "blue state."

Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM

13,263 posts, read 25,410,186 times
Years before same-sex marriage was legal in Mass., there was a voluntary "domestic partnership" thing available to gay and straight people. A company could decide whether or not to give a domestic partner health insurance benefits as previously only available to legal spouses. I thought it was odd to give this to straight people, since straight people could get married. There was also a question as to how to define said partnership or its duration. I don't think the designation exists any more. It was strictly for health insurance, I think- not spousal benficiary stuff.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,195,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

The point I desperately wanted to make there was that if the gay rights supporters "win" this, then the rights and lives of the anti-gay straight people would be unaffected.
If DOMA is thrown out by the SC, then SS couples will be eligible to marry and get spousal/survivor benefits under Social Security and collapse the already burdened system entirely. That does affect straight people whether "anti-gay" or not.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,174,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
YAY! I think everyone should have an equal opportunity to be as miserable as I was in marriage.
This should be called "The enhanced job security law for divorce Attorneys" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or