Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I'll thank you to keep your fingers to yourself! : There is no certainty that DOMA will be overturned, though I know there is a plenty of wishful thinking among the gay activist community that it will.
I too think this Bloomberg hijack of the Colorado state legislature will have been "a bridge too far" for live and let live conservative Colorado, and the next election will show it. They just kicked a sleeping bull in the oysters.
Conservative Colorado? Don't make us all wet our pants with laughter now Colorado has become a progressive leader while you were napping in what ever state you currently reside in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:40 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Conservative Colorado? Don't make us all wet our pants with laughter now Colorado has become a progressive leader while you were napping in what ever state you currently reside in.
Let's you and I revisit this post after the next election.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Let's you and I revisit this post after the next election.
Gladly, after the next ten waves of Californians and younger educated generation liberals from virtually everywhere continue to pour in. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,792 times
Quote:
Gladly, after the next ten waves of Californians and younger generation educated liberals from virtually everywhere continues to pour in.
Admittedly a good point. That's why we are re-considering our plans to retire in Colorado. The possibility of being innundated with gun grabbing, pot smoking, gay, golden boys from Cali has given us considerable pause.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Gladly, after the next ten waves of Californians and younger educated generation liberals from virtually everywhere continue to pour in. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
There has been such great news lately-marriage equality (almost there), anti-slaughter/gun magazine legislation. Just have to get a majority Dems on the CU Board of Regents and I'll be happy. I look forward to it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
I'll thank you to keep your fingers to yourself! : There is no certainty that DOMA will be overturned, though I know there is a plenty of wishful thinking among the gay activist community that it will.
I too think this Bloomberg hijack of the Colorado state legislature will have been "a bridge too far" for live and let live conservative Colorado, and the next election will show it. They just kicked a sleeping bull in the oysters.
There is no certainty but most analysis, even the ones on FNC, agree that the odds are it will. Time will tell. If it does get overturned then the civil unions in Colorado should give gay people federal benefits as well.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,297 times
Quote:
The "Californians have turned Colorado blue" meme is largely a myth. Most of the Californians who moved here in the 90s were conservative, evangelical families from Southern California, who moved to Douglas County and El Paso County. In the 90s, Californians actually made Colorado more, not less, conservative. That, in turn, gave the Colorado GOP a strong social conservative vein that we still see today.

And, by the way, while liberals may indeed "pour in" to places like Denver and Boulder, evangelicals are still pouring into, Colorado Springs, what PBS last month called "America's evangelical mecca" as well as the quick-growing Douglas County, home to the conservative reform in Colorado. In fact, look at which counties are growing fastest in Colorado: Weld, Douglas, Mesa, and El Paso County is growing so quickly it's now the state's most populous county. These counties are young and growing. Which counties aren't growing? The ones full of middle-aged liberals with no kids--like Boulder County.

The Democrats' performance in the legislature this year has basically cemented an incredible conservative rebirth in Colorado.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
That is, I'm sure, what legislative Democrats are telling themselves. The problem, of course, is that it's not actually true. Colorado isn't a "progressive leader." Rather, it has been mobbed by wealthy liberals who have tried to, through gerrymander and fund, artificially manufacture a blue state. That works for only so long, though. Coloradans are probably just as conservative as they have ever been, but the political representation at the capitol undermines that notion.

Expect 2014 to be a strong realignment--that's already happening, by the way, with a powerful union between social conservatives and libertarians that hasn't happened here in a while--with Republicans surging back into power.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That is obviously true to even the most casual observer of state politics. It isn't so clear to Democrats, however, and that will cost them in Colorado for years to come. Gun-grabbing in Colorado is the penultimate hornet's nest, and Democrats have kicked it pretty hard. I can't wait to see how badly they get stung. There are already recall petitions circulating right now, and 2014 could complete a GOP tidal wave.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The "Californians have turned Colorado blue" meme is largely a myth. Most of the Californians who moved here in the 90s were conservative, evangelical families from Southern California, who moved to Douglas County and El Paso County. In the 90s, Californians actually made Colorado more, not less, conservative. That, in turn, gave the Colorado GOP a strong social conservative vein that we still see today.

And, by the way, while liberals may indeed "pour in" to places like Denver and Boulder, evangelicals are still pouring into, Colorado Springs, what PBS last month called "America's evangelical mecca" as well as the quick-growing Douglas County, home to the conservative reform in Colorado. In fact, look at which counties are growing fastest in Colorado: Weld, Douglas, Mesa, and El Paso County is growing so quickly it's now the state's most populous county. These counties are young and growing. Which counties aren't growing? The ones full of middle-aged liberals with no kids--like Boulder County.

The Democrats' performance in the legislature this year has basically cemented an incredible
conservative rebirth in Colorado.
We all know that Colorado is quickly becoming blue despite your yearnings for those good old conservative 1980's days. Both Boulder and Denver are drawing in the young educated money crowds...
hate to break it to you but as they age, have kids they too are now moving to places like Highlands Ranch ect. Jefferson County this past election even flipped the election in Obama's favor. As to your assertion that Californians are making the state more conservative; that's just insane. I know and live in California part time and even once heavily conservative OC is flipping left at light speed. More than anything social changes are about generational demographics. Restricting gay rights for religious reasons is becoming as relevant as wearing a speedo to a job interview.

As far as the gun issue; that's more of a regional thing and less to do with dems.vs. republicans..wanna talk guns, weopons? I have fired everything from sabot rounds.m60's mounted to tank turrets,claymore mines add infinitime..I'm ex- military and not desk jockey military(used to pick fights for fun machismo bs) so I understand all that biz. Gay rights and marijuana laws are seperate issues for me. Hating gay people is a whole other matter. I'm not gay and not exactly proud to admit this, but I used to be a huge homophobe.. after finding out one of my best friends and a close relative was gay I began to grow up..Just like some of the social views and changes I have made, the world and especially Colorado is growing up and gaining some comon sense. I am proud of gay people for standing up to fossil like thinking.
FYI..even though I spent much of my growing up years in Boulder, I fought the liberal agenda that surrounded me. Who I was really fighting was myself. I advise anyone who hates gay people to look at themselves; you actually might not feel so self righteous Since those younger stupid times I have aquired many gay friends, neighbors and shockingly(lol) found them to be just like everyone else(just people).sorry for the horrible grammar and rant.

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-14-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado