Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Wow wanneroo ... The epitome of homophobia right there. I don't even know what kind of response I could muster!

I'll do it for you. Great post Wanneroo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:31 AM

129 posts, read 250,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Gays have been around for thousands of years. It shouldn't be a government issue at all. They should go and do their thing and as long as they don't intrude on other citizens and their property, have at it. But rather they are now trying to infiltrate the government and pass all sorts of special laws for their benefit at the detriment of others.
It shouldn't be a government issue at all. Me Too!

So we both agree on that ... but what you can't seem to understand is that it is the government already IS involved by making a law that gays cannot marry, and the gay rights movement is trying to get the gov't uninvolved. Its not about special treatment, its about fair treatment. Marriage is a social custom and the government has no business in it.

* I am a happily married hetero.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM

129 posts, read 250,151 times
Quote:
There isn't anything phobic about what I said. Just because I don't like something or agree with it doesn't mean I am scared of homosexuals/heterophobics.
Quote:
I don't think heterosexuality is going away as much as the homosexuals would like it to.
Au contraire, you seem to be scared of homosexuals turning everyone gay.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
*sigh*

I don't see how any person gets "squished like grape" for thinking for themselves and disagreeing with those in power, whether they be right or left. And again, while I am in vociferous disagreement with the "anti-slaughter" position of the Demmies, I really find your fantasy of "All Republicans Go To Heaven" flagrantly absurd.

I don't get how anything gay people can or can't do affects traditional marriage, let alone "breaks" this bond. I think straight folks are doing a fine job of breaking it all by themselves, and the consumerist, greedy, selfish and individualistic brainwashing we're all getting via TV and schools, raising our kids to believe that the new video game console is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN ALL OF FRICKIN' REALITY MAN...THAT is what's breaking marriage. People can't compromise anymore. If life isn't a fairy tale, they run for the greener grass.

Now if you get any two people who can last out the decades devoted to one another like my Grandparents could, I could not care less how their naughty bits match up or what they do with 'em. And never will I grasp why it matters so much to the fundamentalist, or why it's your business. Never.

You're acting as though society still waits upon the institution of marriage to give the "official OK" to having relations...the difference between fornication and the sacriment of the marriage bed. Got news for you man...most straight folks these days don't wait, and don't care. I was with my husband for 10 years, faithfully, before "making it official." And even then I only did so because it mattered to him, and I didn't want him going off to war with this unfinished business in his heart and mind. It made no difference to me or to our two children, who know with zero doubt who their father is despite the fact that we weren't married when either of them was conceived or born.

In practice, it simply is not what you are making it out to be, anymore. And our society is not ever going to turn back the clock and go back to what it once was. It's not going to happen.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Oh, dear. I am a terminally single hetero woman, a childfree-by-choice-and-surgery-at-age-30 person. Does that mean I should never be allowed to marry?
Seems to me that people were designed to desire sex, not children (whether you believe in evolution, a god-design, or anything else). Marriage has meant many things, not the least being the ownership of women and therefore ownership of offspring. Let's see, wasn't polygamy common in supposed biblical times? Did people too old to procreate have to divorce or not be allowed to marry?

Civil marriage is a contract between two consenting adults and the state. I can't think of much that is more government-controlled than that- rights and responsibilities spelled out in the eye of the law. All most people want is equality before the law- feminists, gay people, people of various colors and beliefs. Equality before the law. That's my definition of my feminism, or shall I say egalitarianism (don't want to scare any nice guys away!).
I'm attending my first same-sex wedding in June, two women who have been together for 34 years. The best thing is, I don't think I have to get dressed up.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I just read where Hickenlooper will sign the bill recognizing civil unions for same-sex couples on Thursday afternoon at the Colorado History Museum in downtown Denver at 3 p.m and is open to the public. According to the report it was chosen to commemorate what will be, to sponsors and supporters, a historic moment for a state that passed Amendment 2 just two decades earlier. If I was in Denver I would go but it will be a great day for me. To be honest its kind of surreal for me now. Like wow I can actually get into a civil union and it still has not fully set in that this is real and not a day dream of mine.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I just read where Hickenlooper will sign the bill recognizing civil unions for same-sex couples on Thursday afternoon at the Colorado History Museum in downtown Denver at 3 p.m and is open to the public. According to the report it was chosen to commemorate what will be, to sponsors and supporters, a historic moment for a state that passed Amendment 2 just two decades earlier. If I was in Denver I would go but it will be a great day for me. To be honest its kind of surreal for me now. Like wow I can actually get into a civil union and it still has not fully set in that this is real and not a day dream of mine.
Wow. I'm gay and I have a partner of 7 years, and neither of us feel very strongly about this.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Wow. I'm gay and I have a partner of 7 years, and neither of us feel very strongly about this.
The good thing about this law is if a gay person chooses not to get into a civil union they can do that while gay people, like me, who chose to can. Before now we did not have that choice so that is why I am excited.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I've been with my partner for 17 years and we have two kids. We've already put all our property into a trust and set everything up legally - which cost us thousands of dollars - so I'm not sure if a CU would add anything to it. We're going to check w/our attorney to see if it makes sense. If so, we'll just go down and pay/sign whatever we need to. Neither of us has any desire to have a ceremony of any type.

I think once it's Federally recognized, then it would make more sense to do because of taxes/SS and pension benefits.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've been with my partner for 17 years and we have two kids. We've already put all our property into a trust and set everything up legally - which cost us thousands of dollars - so I'm not sure if a CU would add anything to it. We're going to check w/our attorney to see if it makes sense. If so, we'll just go down and pay/sign whatever we need to. Neither of us has any desire to have a ceremony of any type.

I think once it's Federally recognized, then it would make more sense to do because of taxes/SS and pension benefits.
Gay or straight, after 17 years I think you have shown you two are in it for the long-haul and I certainly can understand not needing the big party, but I think it's great that the next generation won't have to go through all the hassle you did to get your affairs in order.

Not knowing the details of Colorado civil unions there may still be some issues that have to be addressed, but those appear to be shrinking year by year. If DOMA goes away, I think the process will be accelerated; it will be interesting to see how the next few years play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado