U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM

13,290 posts, read 25,455,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The good thing about this law is if a gay person chooses not to get into a civil union they can do that while gay people, like me, who chose to can. Before now we did not have that choice so that is why I am excited.
I'm still unclear as to what rights and responsibilities a "civil union" confers, although apparently it doesn't have federal impact. Has it been spelled out at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Add- if someone wants out of a civil union, is there a procedure?
The first gay couple to be married in Mass. ended up divorcing some four years later. I think there were two children involved. Nothing federal was involved from the beginning, I believe. Is there a civil disunion law?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm still unclear as to what rights and responsibilities a "civil union" confers, although apparently it doesn't have federal impact. Has it been spelled out at all?
My understanding is its the same rights as a married couple would have on a state and local level.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Add- if someone wants out of a civil union, is there a procedure?
The first gay couple to be married in Mass. ended up divorcing some four years later. I think there were two children involved. Nothing federal was involved from the beginning, I believe. Is there a civil disunion law?
I think it would be a divorce just like a married couple.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:14 AM

Do you know that for sure? I don't think "civil unions" have ever really been defined. If they are the same as marriage except for same-sex participants, would there be two lines at City Hall, one labeled "Marriage" and one labeled "Civil Union" and everyone comes out with the same rights and responsibilities, but a different label? If so, I think most people wouldn't be pushing for "marriage equality," if it's just semantics.
Of course, before you or anyone else enters a formal civil union, I'm sure you would find out what you are or are not getting into.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 AM

14,966 posts, read 4,768,365 times
Actually, civil unions is still on the inequality side. Some are celebrating like it is a big progressive achievement, but it is just a modest step in the right direction to marriage equality. Heck, I know some people in Minnesota and it looks like they will be legalizing gay marriage fairly soon. Colorado is actually behind the curve rather than ahead of it on this issue. Well, it is nice to know that couples, gay or straight, can get all the marijuana they might need. It would not help me. I can't smoke "diddly" without coughing beyond reason. Tried it once and then never again.

Anyways, I do like your state and enjoyed a visit two years ago, but given the progress other states have made, I would not celebrate wholeheartedly until gay marriage itself passes. BTW, congrats on the sensible gun registration laws that passed today.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:29 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
BTW, congrats on the sensible gun registration laws that passed today.
What was sensible about ignoring the will of the people of Colorado and caving in to foreign intervention in the state's affairs by de-facto Colorado Governor Bloomberg?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,612,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

Anyways, I do like your state and enjoyed a visit two years ago, but given the progress other states have made, I would not celebrate wholeheartedly until gay marriage itself passes. BTW, congrats on the sensible gun registration laws that passed today.
WTF. Sensible? Oh, those Colorado Democrats --- always watching out for little guys like me --- I feel MUCH SAFER already, now that criminals won't have access to high capacity magazines. Never mind the fact that if anyone really wanted them, they could simply cross the border and buy them in Wyoming, etc. Feel-good rules like this aren't going to have an effect in the long run, but at least people like Rhonda Fields can give themselves a pat on the back because, well, they had to do something!

I agree with your comment re: Civil Unions. Most of my gay friends seem to think that today is some sort of wonderful, be-all, end-all historic day in Colorado. Because, after all, everything the Democrats do in the State Legislature is historic and wonderful! And that's fine, I guess, but the rest of us either don't care (because we didn't move here so that we could live in a mini California, which is how my partner and I feel) or realize that Civil Unions still isn't the "marriage equality" that is so desperately wanted.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 03-21-2013 at 06:41 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
WTF. Sensible? Oh, those Colorado Democrats --- always watching out for little guys like me --- I feel MUCH SAFER already, now that criminals won't have access to high capacity magazines. Never mind the fact that if anyone really wanted them, they could simply cross the border and buy them in Wyoming, etc. Feel-good rules like this aren't going to have an effect in the long run, but at least people like Rhonda Fields can give themselves a pat on the back because, well, they had to do something!

I agree with your comment re: Civil Unions. Most of my gay friends seem to think that today is some sort of wonderful, be-all, end-all historic day in Colorado. Because, after all, everything the Democrats do in the State Legislature is historic and wonderful! And that's fine, I guess, but the rest of us either don't care (because we didn't move here so that we could live in a mini California, which is how my partner and I feel) or realize that Civil Unions still isn't the "marriage equality" that is so desperately wanted.
Well, you sure as hell aren't going to get gay marriage out of the Republicans!

I've never understood what goes on in a gay Republican's mind. They hate the Democrats, yet the Republicans don't want them and will never pass a single law in their favor.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,612,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, you sure as hell aren't going to get gay marriage out of the Republicans!

I've never understood what goes on in a gay Republican's mind. They hate the Democrats, yet the Republicans don't want them and will never pass a single law in their favor.
Who said I was a Republican?
I'm one of those independents who tends to lean Libertarian, but doesn't really have a home politically. I'm not one of those single-issue gays, like most of my friends who don't follow politics other than turning out to vote for Democrats because "they like the gays."

To me, there are other issues that are higher priority. To me, gay marriage (which is going to happen anyway, eventually), or civil unions (in this case) is not worth all of the garbage that comes with having Democrats in power. I don't want higher taxes to fund a broken education system, I don't want "gun safety bills", I don't want to accommodate illegal aliens, I hate the fact that business, corporations, and wealth are generally viewed negatively, etc etc etc.

I'm entitled to my opinion, obviously, but it's not a cut and dry, black and white issue for me. It's not necessarily that Republicans = good, either. I'm generally frustrated, but you're right, after what has happened in Colorado over the past few years, I do hate the Democrats (more or less).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or