U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM

11,607 posts, read 7,188,754 times

Advertisements

I don't see it as marriage equality, no. But a step in the right direction? Oh yes, in many ways. What, in my opinion, is more important than the actual rights conveyed by this to gay couples in our state right now, is that another state in the country has raised its hand and said, "We support equal rights for these folks." In my view, eventually, when enough states are clearly on board, the federal laws are more likely to change to accomodate social progress.

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness for all."

One thing I haven't addressed yet in my posts here is the whole business of the material end of things, how gay couples that are legally entitled to all of the benefits of married straight couples could take a bite out of governmental financial systems that are already in trouble. I'm talking about the tax savings, the estate taxes that wouldn't be paid, and more significantly, Social Security benefits that spouses are eligible for.

It is my position and opinion that our elected officials have badly mismanaged public funds overall for a long time. They will never consent to a thorough and public audit of the money we put in their hands conducted by an unbiased third party and they refuse to be held properly accountable by the public. While technically we're to blame for having voted them in, the entire electoral system is tainted when the populace is brainwashed into believing that we must choose between two parties, two (usually unpalatable) choices... When we've got legislators who can pass laws giving themselves raises and benefiting their business interests, it seems foolish to me to whine because some small percentage of the population wants equal access to programs and benefits that they paid into with their tax dollars their entire lives, just like the rest of us. It's penny wise, pound foolish, crying about a drop in the bucket...when the entire bottom of the bucket is already blown out.

I also find it frustrating that it takes so much effort and fight to get something like marriage equality through, I feel like this is common sense and our collective mental energies should be applied to greater societal issues that more deeply affect all of us...such as for instance the quality (or lack thereof) of our public schools. I'm ready for gay rights to be a given, something nobody has to worry about, and to move on and fix OTHER stuff already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM

704 posts, read 1,496,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
BTW, congrats on the sensible gun registration laws that passed today.
If it isn't repealed by the courts, it'll be repealed by the Republican legislature that will be elected in 2014 as part of the incredible conservative backlash that has been forming over the course of the gun debate here. Legislators are being recalled, initiatives are being placed on the ballot, and legislative Democrats will be looking for another job after next November.

Democrats won't even get a victory lap, which makes me wonder whether this was a subversive Republican plot to take back the legislature.

I'm only joking, of course.

Maybe.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
I think people get to hung up on what they call it "civil union" versus "marriage". As long as I get the same rights I don't care if they call it "civil unions" and in Colorado on the state and local level this will give me all the same rights. Now Colorado can not impact the federal law we need the supreme court for that so they are doing all they can in Denver to give the GLBT community equal rights here and that is why, for me anyway, today is a historic day.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm generally frustrated, but you're right, after what has happened in Colorado over the past few years, I do hate the Democrats (more or less).
I'm just about to start a profession where it'll be my job to overturn the Democrats' egregiously unconstitutional legislation. It's actually the reason I jumped at it. That probably won't scare a lot of liberals in this state. But it should--not because I'm a particularly fearsome fellow, but rather because I'm one of a legion of individuals in Colorado and nationally who have dedicated their lives to preventing left-wing policy and ideas from destroying what is great about this state.

Far from scaring conservatives away, Colorado has become a bastion of civil rebellion.

Boo-yah.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM

11,607 posts, read 7,188,754 times
Has anybody called Uncle Ted? He should totally get an invite to this party...

(Sorry, couldn't help it. My husband has been blaring "Don't Tread on Me" for the last month. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I'm just about to start a profession where it'll be my job to overturn the Democrats' egregiously unconstitutional legislation. It's actually the reason I jumped at it. That probably won't scare a lot of liberals in this state. But it should--not because I'm a particularly fearsome fellow, but rather because I'm one of a legion of individuals in Colorado and nationally who have dedicated their lives to preventing left-wing policy and ideas from destroying what is great about this state.

Far from scaring conservatives away, Colorado has become a bastion of civil rebellion.

Boo-yah.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Quote:

Boo-yah.
Civil Union is not a liberal cause even people like Bill O Reilly support it and he is not seen as left. Its more of a generational issue as polls show the majority of people from Generation X down support it.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Who said I was a Republican?
I'm one of those independents who tends to lean Libertarian, but doesn't really have a home politically. I'm not one of those single-issue gays, like most of my friends who don't follow politics other than turning out to vote for Democrats because "they like the gays."

To me, there are other issues that are higher priority. To me, gay marriage (which is going to happen anyway, eventually), or civil unions (in this case) is not worth all of the garbage that comes with having Democrats in power. I don't want higher taxes to fund a broken education system, I don't want "gun safety bills", I don't want to accommodate illegal aliens, I hate the fact that business, corporations, and wealth are generally viewed negatively, etc etc etc.

I'm entitled to my opinion, obviously, but it's not a cut and dry, black and white issue for me. It's not necessarily that Republicans = good, either. I'm generally frustrated, but you're right, after what has happened in Colorado over the past few years, I do hate the Democrats (more or less).
I should have specified that I wasn't labeling you a Republican since you didn't say so

I'm not 100% with the Democrats on every issue, but I know which party is going to be on the side of any progress for gay rights and which party will fight to the end to prevent any gay rights. And I don't see Colorado as a high tax state, I support public education (don't see it as broken), reasonable gun control, and reasonable regulation. But then how any one person views "reasonable" varies. And I don't believe gay marriage would ever come to be if there were no Democrats.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:

Boo-yah.
Yeah, good luck with that Wouldn't it just be easier for you to move to Texas?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, good luck with that Wouldn't it just be easier for you to move to Texas?
Why move when you can change it?

Conservatives in Colorado aren't going anywhere. The legislature is quite a bit to the left of your average Coloradan, so it makes my job a little easier. I actually heard an 80-some-year-old lady tell Michael Brown that her family wants to move her closer to them, but she's refusing to leave Colorado until she has the chance to vote Democrats out of office.

So we're starting to experience a conservative backlash. I wouldn't want to miss that. Besides, the left is targeting Texas in exactly the same way that they've been targeting Colorado. Colorado has the opportunity to show the way for Texas, Arizona, and the rest of the country what it means to take back your government when it is hijacked by gerrymandering, well-monied liberals.

Last edited by GoneNative; 03-21-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,007,533 times
Quote:

Boo-yah.
All your extreme right wing distorted posts on this site are designed to scare liberals from moving here.
How's that been working out for you? lol.. this state is transforming blue faster than just about anywhere..anyway good luck with those lofty ambitions of yours. You do reallize you are stopping a tidal wave with a spoon don't you?

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-21-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or