U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM

14,984 posts, read 4,773,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Why move when you can change it?

Conservatives in Colorado aren't going anywhere. The legislature is quite a bit to the left of your average Coloradan, so it makes my job a little easier. I actually heard an 80-some-year-old lady tell Michael Brown that her family wants to move her closer to them, but she's refusing to leave Colorado until she has the chance to vote Democrats out of office.

So we're starting to experience a conservative backlash. I wouldn't want to miss that. Besides, the left is targeting Texas in exactly the same way that they've been targeting Colorado. Colorado has the opportunity to show the way for Texas, Arizona, and the rest of the country what it means to take back your government when it is hijacked by gerrymandering, well-monied liberals.
A conservative is someone who is stubbornly opposed to gay civil unions/marriage until they find out their son or daughter is gay (Dick Cheney). A conservative is someone who opposes any registration or gun measure until they are shot (James Brady).

Too many on the far right have the "it is only important when or until it happens to me or my family" attitude. If we are truly concerned about our communities, nation and other citizens we must give up the "It's just about what affects us" or not caring about the issue just because strangers are dealing with it (but when it happens to so important me or mine, it is different). That is hypocrisy and yes, liberals and moderates have their moments, but not to the same extent.

I hope the reality ends up in the sensible center and that neither side prevails entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,218,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
All your extreme right wing distorted posts on this site are designed to scare liberals from moving here.
How's that been working out for you? lol.. this state is transforming blue faster than just about anywhere..anyway good luck with those lofty ambitions of yours. You do reallize you are stopping a tidal wave with a spoon don't you?
Legal pot and civil unions sure aren't attracting the tea baggers to CO, that's for sure

Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM

14,984 posts, read 4,773,445 times
Quote:
All your extreme right wing distorted posts on this site are designed to scare liberals from moving here.
How's that been working out for you? lol.. this state is transforming blue faster than just about anywhere..anyway good luck with those lofty ambitions of yours. You do reallize you are stopping a tidal wave with a spoon don't you?
I am glad the transformation is in progress. Frankly, you owe it to the nation (kidding...sort of!). Colorado voted for George Bush TWICE in both 2000 and 2004. There has been SERIOUS change indeed! You voted for Barack Obama in both 2008 and 2012.

You will also find throughout history that those people that are losing power get the most shrill, bellicose and hostile before they are more or less disregarded and common sense prevails. Don't be scared by the so called right wing backlash, but do not underestimate it either. I'll stay out of Colorado's business at this point (at least the political part) and just read the other posts and provide occasional "reputation" points. I am glad the state has moved to the center.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
A conservative is someone who is stubbornly opposed to gay civil unions/marriage until they find out their son or daughter is gay (Dick Cheney). A conservative is someone who opposes any registration or gun measure until they are shot (James Brady).

Too many on the far right have the "it is only important when or until it happens to me or my family" attitude. If we are truly concerned about our communities, nation and other citizens we must give up the "It's just about what affects us" or not caring about the issue just because strangers are dealing with it (but when it happens to so important me or mine, it is different). That is hypocrisy and yes, liberals and moderates have their moments, but not to the same extent.

I hope the reality ends up in the sensible center and that neither side prevails entirely.
I think the magic word here is "empathy". Those on the far right have none.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Why move when you can change it?

Conservatives in Colorado aren't going anywhere. The legislature is quite a bit to the left of your average Coloradan, so it makes my job a little easier. I actually heard an 80-some-year-old lady tell Michael Brown that her family wants to move her closer to them, but she's refusing to leave Colorado until she has the chance to vote Democrats out of office.

So we're starting to experience a conservative backlash. I wouldn't want to miss that. Besides, the left is targeting Texas in exactly the same way that they've been targeting Colorado. Colorado has the opportunity to show the way for Texas, Arizona, and the rest of the country what it means to take back your government when it is hijacked by gerrymandering, well-monied liberals.
I can't predict elections and neither can you. But it's highly unlikely that CO will completely flip from Democratic control to Republican.

The poll below shows overwhelming support in CO for strenghthening gun control. I know civil unions are supported by a majority. Besides, Hickenlooper isn't a stupid politician. Why did he change his mind after Aurora from no new gun laws to what has now passed? He check the polls and saw what Coloradans wanted.

Here's the poll info: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2241149...ince-september

83% of Colroadans support background checks, even on private sales.
64% of Coloradans support reinstatement and strengthening of the ban on assault-style weapons
62% of Coloradans support a 10-round magazine limit.

Last edited by denverian; 03-21-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
^

Even if it does flip the Republicans will never take away civil unions.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

704 posts, read 1,497,524 times
Quote:
None of that is, of course, true. Colorado's supposed "transformation" is almost entirely due to gerrmandering and special interest money. The idea that there has been some grand ideological transformation is almost entirely false.

Voter registration still favors Republicans, although narrowly. And, according to Gallup, Colorado has an above-average number of self-identified conservatives (almost 40%), more than Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Nevada, or Alaska.

State of the States

Look through the data yourself. You'll find that, if anything, Colorado has moved right in the last few years. It is true that Colorado still has a fair number of self-identified liberals (23.5%), which only proves the point I've made here before. It's a state essentially split between conservatives, liberals, and libertarian-leaning "independents." Put the conservatives and libertarians together in their traditional GOP coalition, and you have the same "red" Colorado that you've always had.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Talking BREAKING: Colorado governor signs same-sex civil unions bill into law

The governor signed the bill!

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper signed the bill moments ago at an afternoon ceremony near the state Capitol. The law becomes effective May 1. Colorado becomes the ninth state to allow civil unions between same-sex couples.

The link: BREAKING: Colorado governor signs same-sex civil unions bill into law LGBTQ Nation

Time to celebrate!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Look through the data yourself. You'll find that, if anything, Colorado has moved right in the last few years. It is true that Colorado still has a fair number of self-identified liberals (23.5%), which only proves the point I've made here before. It's a state essentially split between conservatives, liberals, and libertarian-leaning "independents." Put the conservatives and libertarians together in their traditional GOP coalition, and you have the same "red" Colorado that you've always had.
lol! Colorado moves right, yet has voted Democratic the past two presidential elections, has a Democratic Gov., two Dem. senators, and is in total control by Democrats.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Quote:
I hate that. The lumping of Libertarians with Conservatives. It ain't right.

As a Libertarian, I agree with conservatives on:

--guns
--government spending (in theory)
--small government size (again, in theory)

I agree with liberals on:

--women's reproductive rights
--gay rights
--ending the war on drugs

(A huge problem being that members of these parties don't always represent the supposed ideals of their camp anyways.) It's pretty simple. In any situation if I can possibly stand on the side that gives an individual a freedom to choose their own path and live their life free from government interference, that is the choice I'll be making.

This isn't ideologically similar to a conservative at all, and I certainly don't want to be sheltered under the same roof as the Republican camp. I wish we could get some regular ol' Average Joe type folks elected to office. People with no political experience and zero "qualifications" for the job. Just to see what happened. It makes me sad that I get all excited whenever a politician says anything that makes sense. Stand up comedians would represent the people better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or