U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,619,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The governor signed the bill!

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper signed the bill moments ago at an afternoon ceremony near the state Capitol. The law becomes effective May 1. Colorado becomes the ninth state to allow civil unions between same-sex couples.

The link: BREAKING: Colorado governor signs same-sex civil unions bill into law LGBTQ Nation

Time to celebrate!

LOL. So Josseppie, are you being warmed by the Colorado sun today?

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Colorado sun now warms all our people."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 AM

13,297 posts, read 25,484,841 times
My question is, do you get the same rights and responsibilities with a civil union, even on the state and local level? I don't think married people even know all the things that accrue with legal marriage. For instance, in Maine, if you have a lobstering license, your spouse also has it, but not your unmarried partner. I read a good book by E.J. Graff called "Wha is Marriage For?" that detail the many many rights and responsbilities that accrue with marriage. Is there some place that says what a civil union consists of?
I'm not hung up on the semantics. I just don't understand what a civil union is or how it differs from a marriage. (Yes, I know marriage has federal implications and civil union does not).
I don't know anyone who engaged in a civil union. My area used to have "partner benefits" at some jobs and agencies, which were health benefits, etc. No civil union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think people get to hung up on what they call it "civil union" versus "marriage". As long as I get the same rights I don't care if they call it "civil unions" and in Colorado on the state and local level this will give me all the same rights. Now Colorado can not impact the federal law we need the supreme court for that so they are doing all they can in Denver to give the GLBT community equal rights here and that is why, for me anyway, today is a historic day.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,097,166 times
This Colorado law has nothing more than symbolic meaning. The LGBT agenda is focused on a Federaly declared right to gay marriage. Only that will give them the financial benefits they are seeking from Social Security, military retirement and so on.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,011,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This Colorado law has nothing more than symbolic meaning. The LGBT agenda is focused on a Federaly declared right to gay marriage. Only that will give them the financial benefits they are seeking from Social Security, military retirement and so on.
If you and other's the way you think decide to move to Colorado; don't be surprised if people look at you as an out of touch relic from 20 years ago. Colorado unlike some other backwoods hick states is a whole different animal these days. I'm out of this fight and threads for good except for maybe after the next local elections in which I will bump these threads just for the pure sake of satisfaction and.." I told you so.." this aint the ye old South.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,199,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
If you and other's the way you think decide to move to Colorado; don't be surprised if people look at you as an out of touch relic from 20 years ago. Colorado unlike some other backwoods hick states is a whole different animal these days. I'm out of this fight and threads for good except for maybe after the next local elections in which I will bump these threads just for the pure sake of satisfaction and.." I told you so.." this aint the ye old South.
Wow, he must have hit a nerve!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,011,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Wow, he must have hit a nerve!
It's called not dealing with rural hicks anymore that have not a clue as to the actual Colorado political climate and reality of this state Besides this fifth generation Colorado native might just actually know just a tad more about this place than SKIPPY.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,539,435 times
Quote:
It's called not dealing with rural hicks anymore that have not a clue as to the actual Colorado political climate and reality of this state Besides this fifth generation Colorado native might just actually know just a tad more about this place than SKIPPY.
It's funny how city dwellers are quick to call rural people "hicks" when we supply you with all your water, food, oil, gas, energy and a variety of other basic raw materials.

Interesting to see how those attitudes pan out when times get tougher. Hmmmm...

Rush Limbaugh had an interesting dialog the other day going in regards to an article that said the new feminism was staying home to raise your children. For 40 years liberals have tried to change nature, turn men into sissyboys subservient to women, women into dominating, muscular men, gay relationships into being normal, male/female marriage into being abnormal, children and unborn children as being a scourge on the earth that holds women back, etc.

And yet nature always reasserts itself. Two hotdogs and two buns don't make children that continue the species.

To me what I see with most gay people I come across is that it's a fad and a way to obtain attention, as coming out and declaring yourself gay gets all sort of sympathy and a pass on any bad behavior you might engage in as we have to all be understanding of your "struggle". This attempt to hijack marriage is just part of the big drama.

I think in 20 years people will all look back on this and laugh.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

704 posts, read 1,498,546 times
Quote:
I'd say that many, if not most, people I know in Colorado oppose civil unions. Many of them, like me, live in the suburbs and are under 30 years old. Is it a majority? I don't know--although we ought to have a chance to vote on it. Nevertheless, if it is a majority, it's a small one.

Colorado is a lot bigger than Boulder. For what it's worth, the Front Range is a lot bigger than Boulder.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM

919 posts, read 985,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I'd say that many, if not most, people I know in Colorado oppose civil unions. Many of them, like me, live in the suburbs and are under 30 years old. Is it a majority? I don't know--although we ought to have a chance to vote on it. Nevertheless, if it is a majority, it's a small one.

Colorado is a lot bigger than Boulder. For what it's worth, the Front Range is a lot bigger than Boulder.
Or is it a case of associating with like-minded people?

The government shouldn't even be in the business of telling consenting adults who they can and cannot marry and it's time to abolish the economic subsidies that the government does provide for marriage. The issue would then be pretty much a mute point as all partnerships that are recognized under law would be civil unions and marriage would be religious institution instead of a legal one. We can still keep the subsidies provided for children as a continuing population is important for economic growth and future security.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,231,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

Uh.... no. Polls show a good-sized majority of Coloradans support Civil Unions. 56% of Coloradans support it, 38% oppose it. So you could put it to a vote and we'd still have Civil Unions.
http://images.coloradoindependent.co...Miscellany.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or