Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM

833 posts, read 1,709,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Yeah that was my point...all this talk about buying cakes and such. I just didn't know if the lack of civil unions ever stopped two men from exchanging vows, etc.
My point was it isn't about exchanging vows, it's about it being recognized, "official" and having the same rights as anyone else. The cake, as part of the celebration is an issue only because some people feel so strongly that this is wrong that they will turn away business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM

833 posts, read 1,709,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Oh its both. The legal status is key but once we have it I am looking forward to the day I meet the special guy and get married. I plan on having the wedding of the year in Pueblo most likely at the Pueblo Convention Center or along the Riverwalk in the carriage house.
And that is great, but if you met the right guy and wanted to have your grand party yet you lived in a state where civil unions/gay marriage was not legal would it be the same? Would dude_reino's statement that you could still exchange vows (and have cake) hold true? Would that be enough?

I'm not trying to be combative, I am just trying to see your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My partner (of 16 years) and I plan to "make it legal", but neither of us want a wedding ceremony. Weddings seem to me more of a thing for women to feel like a princess for a day lol! And a HUGE waste of money. I really don't get the whole wedding thing.
My wife was really into our wedding at the time, but 14 years later even she admits that while it was fun, it was, in a sense, a waste of money. I think age plays a role in this as well; by the time a lot of people get to their mid-thirties priorities change. Of course I know that doesn't apply to everyone, I am not sure how old Jesseppie is, but he strikes me as someone that really enjoys a party (and I bet it is one I would want to go to as well).

As for me, if I were doing it all over again I would probably go for a small, low-key ceremony with a much bigger party/reception with some very good food and drink that would most likely cost more than my original wedding did.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,174,796 times
Quote:
Its a personal preference. I am Italian and have been to many Italian weddings and love them. The pasta, homemade Italian cookies, mints, cake, wine etc. Plus songs like the Chicken dance. Its a nice family reunion for something other then a funeral. If you have ever seen Tony and Tina's Wedding that is how the ones were that I went to. I actually got bored at the play because I had been to so many in real life I was like why would I want to see it acted out?

That being said I have always dreamed about having my own. Hopefully soon I can. Now I just have to meet the guy for me.
Good luck! After being together for almost 17 years, everyone sees us as married anyway.

Maybe Italians have better weddings... I've only been to two and they were quite boring.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,174,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Give up? I'm not affiliated with Focus on the Family, but I am politically and morally sympathetic with the group. I assure you, there simply is no giving up. Civil unions may indeed pass--contrary to the will of the voters who voted this down seven years ago, of course--but the war is already won. Truth is truth, and you no matter what sorts of laws you pass, you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, and that's more or less what same-sex marriage is.

Social conservatives in Colorado have a lot of celebrate, and the future is far brighter than you think.
From what I've read, they've seriously cut back in staff. Looks to me like they see the writing on the wall. I've looked at some of the material they put out and most of what they say about gay men is nothing short of hate propaganda. I have children and I'm all for strong families, but I find FOTF to be a hate group.

And if you haven't read, polls show that the majority of Coloradans now agree with allowing civil unions.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,163,319 times
This development is disheartening to me, but if I plan to live in Colorado I'll just have to deal with it somehow. I have made my peace with Jack Johnson music and marijuana smoke smells, so maybe I can get over my disgust of same sex marriage. Or maybe not...

Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,807,549 times
That's so nice!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM

704 posts, read 1,789,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This development is disheartening to me, but if I plan to live in Colorado I'll just have to deal with it somehow. I have made my peace with Jack Johnson music and marijuana smoke smells, so maybe I can get over my disgust of same sex marriage. Or maybe not...
At a percentage, I think you're far more likely in Colorado to have a decent, church-going family than either a same-sex couple or a marijuana-smoking person as your neighbor. That's especially true in Denver's suburbs and El Paso County.

The destruction of the traditional family is happening all over the country, not just Colorado. This state is really ground zero for major cultural battles--and therefore renewal. We're not a liberal state, so this stuff is tough to pass. It's not a green light as it is in, say, Oregon. But there is a a huge push for it here, and will sometimes nevertheless pass. In other words, this is by no means Massachusetts or Washington when it comes to major cultural clashes. There is constantly a fight over these issues and I suspect that there will continue to be.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,983,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure you and your fellow conservatives will find another group's civil and human rights to trample over in the name of Jesus...

Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,423,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
And that is great, but if you met the right guy and wanted to have your grand party yet you lived in a state where civil unions/gay marriage was not legal would it be the same? Would dude_reino's statement that you could still exchange vows (and have cake) hold true? Would that be enough?

I'm not trying to be combative, I am just trying to see your side.
It would not be the same. Its not just about the party (that is the fun part) its about all the benefits that come with it that most straight people don't even realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
My wife was really into our wedding at the time, but 14 years later even she admits that while it was fun, it was, in a sense, a waste of money. I think age plays a role in this as well; by the time a lot of people get to their mid-thirties priorities change. Of course I know that doesn't apply to everyone, I am not sure how old Jesseppie is, but he strikes me as someone that really enjoys a party (and I bet it is one I would want to go to as well).

As for me, if I were doing it all over again I would probably go for a small, low-key ceremony with a much bigger party/reception with some very good food and drink that would most likely cost more than my original wedding did.
Thanks. I am 39 and I am told I can party more then college guys lol

One thing to note if you go with the traditional Italian food buffet style its not as expensive as it can be once you start dealing with sit down dinners and for me the Italian food is much better and makes for a more festive atmosphere. That is the kind of wedding I want to have.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,103,988 times
Quote:
It would not be the same. Its not just about the party (that is the fun part) its about all the benefits that come with it that most straight people don't even realize.
Why is it that no one talks about how these marriage benefits are actually discriminatory against SINGLE PEOPLE, not necessarily against gays?

If the government treated all single and married people exactly the same (which it should), then wouldn't the whole SSM issue be dropped? Hmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado