Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 01:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,117,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
We all know that Colorado is quickly becoming blue despite your yearnings for those good old conservative 1980's days. Both Boulder and Denver are drawing in the young educated money crowds...
hate to break it to you but as they age, have kids they too are now moving to places like Highlands Ranch ect. Jefferson County this past election even flipped the election in Obama's favor. As to your assertion that Californians are making the state more conservative; that's just insane. I know and live in California part time and even once heavily conservative OC is flipping left at light speed. More than anything social changes are about generational demographics. Restricting gay rights for religious reasons is becoming as relevant as wearing a speedo to a job interview.

As far as the gun issue; that's more of a regional thing and less to do with dems.vs. republicans..wanna talk guns, weopons? I have fired everything from sabot rounds.m60's mounted to tank turrets,claymore mines add infinitime..I'm ex- military and not desk jockey military(used to pick fights for fun machismo bs) so I understand all that biz. Gay rights and marijuana laws are seperate issues for me. Hating gay people is a whole other matter. I'm not gay and not exactly proud to admit this, but I used to be a huge homophobe.. after finding out one of my best friends and a close relative was gay I began to grow up..Just like some of the social views and changes I have made, the world and especially Colorado is growing up and gaining some comon sense. I am proud of gay people for standing up to fossil like thinking.
FYI..even though I spent much of my growing up years in Boulder, I fought the liberal agenda that surrounded me. Who I was really fighting was myself. I advise anyone who hates gay people to look at themselves; you actually might not feel so self righteous Since those younger stupid times I have aquired many gay friends, neighbors and shockingly(lol) found them to be just like everyone else(just people).sorry for the horrible grammar and rant.
I won't try to predict any elections, but it seems there has been some change politically in Colorado. For the better, IMO. I would guess that tighter gun laws, civil unions and legal pot will attract more liberals and chase off more conservatives. If Colorado remains "blue" in the 2016 election, I'd say we're definitely trending Democratic.

I'm just waiting for the day when Focus on the Family either goes out of business or moves to another state. The people who feed that beast are old and won't be around much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
There is no certainty but most analysis, even the ones on FNC, agree that the odds are it will. Time will tell. If it does get overturned then the civil unions in Colorado should give gay people federal benefits as well.
I'm pretty sure that even if DOMA is overturned, it wouldn't mean the Federal gov't would recognize a civil union as marriage. It would then recognize it in states where it's actual marriage, but I'm not so sure about CUs. We'll see.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,792,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I won't try to predict any elections, but it seems there has been some change politically in Colorado. For the better, IMO. I would guess that tighter gun laws, civil unions and legal pot will attract more liberals and chase off more conservatives. If Colorado remains "blue" in the 2016 election, I'd say we're definitely trending Democratic.

I'm just waiting for the day when Focus on the Family either goes out of business or moves to another state. The people who feed that beast are old and won't be around much longer.
Pretty spot on IMO Denverian..wish I could rep ya.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,600,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
And fortunately antiquated views such as yours will die off within a generation. And Colorado is a fantastic state that keeps getting better.
Looks like it's being turned into a dump instead.

I don't think we'll have to worry about our views dying off because we can create children. The modern homosexual society is like the Shakers of old. Such a relationship doesn't make children and keep the planet going. All homosexuals can do is harvest children off of others via adoption or trying to create a test tube baby. I don't think heterosexuality is going away as much as the homosexuals would like it to.

I think homosexuality is the latest fad by those that want attention, so they can make a big production out of coming out of the closet or by telling everyone they are gay 100,000 times over. It's the latest "cool" thing to do and to them means you are this very in touch, cutting edge person. I think there are some legitimately homosexual people out there, but most I have seen it's to get attention and to create drama and to give one an excuse to act outrageous.

Personally I think in 20 years we'll look back and laugh at it all.

To me God put men and women on this planet for a reason, we are not an asexual being. Marriage is a long held institution over thousands of years to bond people together and provide an umbrella under which to raise children so society can continue. I don't believe in the state hijacking it and turning it into something it isn't.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

129 posts, read 249,464 times
Wow wanneroo ... The epitome of homophobia right there. I don't even know what kind of response I could muster!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Wow wanneroo ... The epitome of homophobia right there. I don't even know what kind of response I could muster!
Apparently he/she/it thinks gay people make more gay people lol!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM

20,246 posts, read 14,477,175 times
The last couple of pages of this thread have awoken an anger and a frustration in my soul that has slumbered since the last presidential election...

Why, oh WHY, does it have to be one polar end of the spectrum or the other?? Why for the love of all that's good can we not get reasonable, intelligent, middle-of-the-road independents elected to any meaningful office??

It drives me bonkers.

I'm no religious right wing conservative, and I'm no tree-fondling, granola munching hippie either. And most folks I talk to in life tend to wander around somewhere in the middle of the road. So why is it, that even if we do get a candidate running who speaks nothing but common sense and obviously is a break from the bipartisan tradition, we all let the media convince us of half a dozen (really stupid) reasons why we mustn't "waste" our vote on him...? Ugh!!

I will never for the life of me understand how some of my Republican friends can shout and yell about freedoms and liberties when it's about guns, but then turn around on issues of women's reproductive choice and gay rights and either shut down or even if they agree that people should have those rights/freedoms/choices they still support the Republicans, if only out of hate for the Democrats. It sickens me that we feel that these are our only two options.

**grumblegrumblegrumblegrrrumph!**

Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
There isn't anything phobic about what I said. Just because I don't like something or agree with it doesn't mean I am scared of homosexuals/heterophobics.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The last couple of pages of this thread have awoken an anger and a frustration in my soul that has slumbered since the last presidential election...

Why, oh WHY, does it have to be one polar end of the spectrum or the other?? Why for the love of all that's good can we not get reasonable, intelligent, middle-of-the-road independents elected to any meaningful office??

It drives me bonkers.

I'm no religious right wing conservative, and I'm no tree-fondling, granola munching hippie either. And most folks I talk to in life tend to wander around somewhere in the middle of the road. So why is it, that even if we do get a candidate running who speaks nothing but common sense and obviously is a break from the bipartisan tradition, we all let the media convince us of half a dozen (really stupid) reasons why we mustn't "waste" our vote on him...? Ugh!!

I will never for the life of me understand how some of my Republican friends can shout and yell about freedoms and liberties when it's about guns, but then turn around on issues of women's reproductive choice and gay rights and either shut down or even if they agree that people should have those rights/freedoms/choices they still support the Republicans, if only out of hate for the Democrats. It sickens me that we feel that these are our only two options.

**grumblegrumblegrumblegrrrumph!**
It's like Mr. Miyagi once said way back in 1984,

"Walk left side road, safe. Walk right side road, safe. Walk down center of road, squish like grape."

"Moderates" always end up in history squished like a grape. And it's because they have no moral core or center and flitter around glomming onto whoever they perceive at that moment of time as having the momentum. Too wishy washy and they never get anything done.

Common sense these days is lacking because too many people have subscribed to the religion of government and that it is all knowing, all caring and all feeling and will provide answers to all problems. The best common sense we can apply is getting government out of everything from what our lightbulbs are required to be, how much our toilets can flush, how much soda we can drink, how much ammo we can have, and especially our sex lives.

This is a great example. Gays have been around for thousands of years. It shouldn't be a government issue at all. They should go and do their thing and as long as they don't intrude on other citizens and their property, have at it. But rather they are now trying to infiltrate the government and pass all sorts of special laws for their benefit at the detriment of others. They want special protection against words if someone doesn't like them or their lifestyle, they want benefits, they want to break the special bond of a man and woman which produces children(known as marriage), they want "special" rights just because of the way they have sex.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,667,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Looks like it's being turned into a dump instead.
There are 49 other states to choose from, I'm sure somebody will gladly show you the exit door.

Quote:
I don't think we'll have to worry about our views dying off because we can create children. The modern homosexual society is like the Shakers of old. Such a relationship doesn't make children and keep the planet going. All homosexuals can do is harvest children off of others via adoption or trying to create a test tube baby. I don't think heterosexuality is going away as much as the homosexuals would like it to.
Since when is procreation under threat when there are currenly 7 billion people inhabiting this planet? And who said anything eradicating heterosexuality? Are you really going down this avenue of bizzare hysteria? What a completely irellevent point

Quote:
I think homosexuality is the latest fad by those that want attention, so they can make a big production out of coming out of the closet or by telling everyone they are gay 100,000 times over. It's the latest "cool" thing to do and to them means you are this very in touch, cutting edge person. I think there are some legitimately homosexual people out there, but most I have seen it's to get attention and to create drama and to give one an excuse to act outrageous.

Personally I think in 20 years we'll look back and laugh at it all.
Indeed, when two partners who are in love will be able to marry whom they choose without interference from religious dogma and fear they will be laughing. And when most straight people realize the sky hasn't fallen because gays have been getting married for some 20 years or so many of them I imagine will be laughing too. And you clearly don't know very many everyday gay people. Your image of gay people seems to be very much colored by some outlandish media source, rather than any aquaintence, meeting, or sincere familiararity. Based on your false and ignorrant perceptions that most gay men are just drama queens stirring the pot is another reason people like you shouldn't interfere with their lives because you clearly don't know what you're talking about when you make blanket statements like that.

Quote:
To me God put men and women on this planet for a reason, we are not an asexual being. Marriage is a long held institution over thousands of years to bond people together and provide an umbrella under which to raise children so society can continue. I don't believe in the state hijacking it and turning it into something it isn't.
Not all heteros procreate, though you are entitled to your beliefs it shouldn't interfere with the business of two men or two women who want to form a union. The genie is not going back inside the bottle.

Quote:
Moderates" always end up in history squished like a grape. And it's because they have no moral core or center and flitter around glomming onto whoever they perceive at that moment of time as having the momentum. Too wishy washy and they never get anything done..
And this is the kind of thinking that breeds divisiveness, war, and lack of understanding. Some of us would rather not be on the lunatic fringe of extremes akin to having a choice between going to the left of Castro or the right of Atilla the Hun. It's little wonder why both political parties are as useless as t*ts on a bull when it must come down to picking poison D or poison R and people are constantly pitted against one another. Moderation gives pause to that kind of nonsense and is akin to consideration, thinking, and common sense.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-14-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado