U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM

80 posts, read 138,864 times

Advertisements

HI,

I know some of you will consider this politically incorrect, but I'm willing to take the risk of being called racist. If you have some info to contribute that is constructive, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Pagosa Springs is on our short list for a move. I've noticed the Hispanic population is listed at 46%. (yes, I know where Pagosa is located, and expect a decent Hispanic population in this part of the country)... but that number seems disproportionately high to me considering surrounding areas, as well as the cost of living in a somewhat resort-type town. (however, I also realize the resort town service industry needs workers)

I lived in southern CA for 15 yrs, (I live in central WA State now), so I'm not afraid of diversity. What I am not wanting is a place where I feel like English is the second language, and there are day laborers hanging out at the grocery store all day. I lived in Leadville for a year back in the late 90's and got the feeling that I don't want, that I just mentioned above. I also noticed crime statistics look to be higher here than some other proportionate size towns in CO.

So... what is the deal here in Pagosa?

Thanks for any first hand experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default Have you actually studied history?

OMG!
Buy a Colorado history book.
"day laborers hanging out at the grocery store all day" LOL

"The first Europeans to visit the region were Spanish conquistadors. Juan de Oñate who lived until 1626, founded what would become the Spanish province of Santa Fé de Nuevo Méjico among the pueblos of the Rio Grande on July 11, 1598. In 1706 Juan de Ulibarri claimed the territory of Colorado."

Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM

80 posts, read 138,864 times
yes, I get that very important part of history. I didn't reiterate it very well. Sorry. Thank you Mr. Conquistador.

However, when I lived in Leadville and Summit County in the late 90's, there were times when there were day laborors at the store in Leadville, as well as City Market, Walmart and other places around the area. I also had to chase down someone down Main St in Leadville that stole my GF's purse one evening. That is what I'm referring to, not 5th generation Spanish settlers.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM

206 posts, read 472,305 times
Have you actually studied history, davebarnes?

OMG!

Buy a North American history book.

I believe the Native Americans preceded the Spanish.

How far do you want to go back?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM

10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Don't do it. My Mom just sold her house 15 months ago in Pagosa. It has a serious economic depression. Housing foreclosures are as bad as South Florida. She sold her house because she is on the lake, location. Her friend moved out of condo and over 1/2 the complex was vacant, from foreclosure. Don't do it. Just don't.

Pagosa is beautiful. My wife and I miss it. But the cost of food and gas is high, gas is 20-30 cents more a gallon the Denver Metro. There is one City Market in town, the other closed down due to economic downturn. I would not be surprised if the unemployment rate was over 15%, no joke. Even those employed has 3-4 part time jobs in a year.

Even when the housing market was good there is no economy there, none, just a bunch of low paid tourism related jobs.

Don't worry about too many Hispanics. In the 10 plus years I visited there, mostly whites like me.

The weathers can be brutal. It's not uncommon to get 1-3 feet of snow in a major snow storm. In Denver that's news in Pagosa they may not even plow the roads much, no $$$. I am not kidding the put no salt or sand on icy roads most times.

It's so beautiful like Norman Rockwell. Durango is more $$$ and more crowded, thus more jobs.

The healthcare is a joke too, no hospital. Hope you aren't old like my Mom. She couldn't deal with having to drive to Durango Hospital, an hour a way in good weather, for better medical care. BTW if you have an emergency and it's snowing Life Flight doesn't fly to Durango so say your prayers.

People are very nice, a bit of small town cronyism.

Pagosa would make a great long term real estate investment, if you don't need constant rental income.

Nice place to visit, go to the hot springs, just don't plan on living there.

Crime is minimal there, mostly small time property thefts. A snow blower stolen, a bike, some local drunk kids rarely break in to vacant vacation property. Rarely some rednecks get drunk and an aggravated assault occurs at a bar.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,604,607 times
I visit the area every year and do not see that. I stay twice a year in Chama, NM which is about an hour to Pagosa and they do have I guess you might say hispanics working the area. Here in Eastern OK they are illegals working but in that area they were born and raised and generation after generation from the area. They were American before we became Americans! It is different than say in LA where there are dozens and dozens of illegal sitting in a house waiting for welfare. These people work and farm.. Now there is a huge Apache reservation in the area and they do tons of agricultural and farming type stuff. They sell lambs do sell organic vegs. These people were there way before any of us whites came about. Now Pagosa is on my list too, only because I think Chama might be too small. But all in all Chama is my love.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,604,607 times
Colorado, I thought Pagosa was getting a Walmart on the West side. Am I wrong about that. As far as depression, try to sell a cattle ranch in this economy!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM

206 posts, read 472,305 times
Quote:
I know some of you will consider this politically incorrect, but I'm willing to take the risk of being called racist. If you have some info to contribute that is constructive, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I advertise on this site that I am a racist.

Never let this "diversity" nightmare sway your honest thoughts.

Never let anyone on this site bully you into believing other than what your conscience dictates.

Your post is 100% accurate in every respect.

You will, of course, get all the "politically correct" responses.

Americans fear speaking out.

America was founded by those speaking out against the "politically correct".

Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 PM

10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Colorado, I thought Pagosa was getting a Walmart on the West side. Am I wrong about that. As far as depression, try to sell a cattle ranch in this economy!
I haven't been done there since I cleaned Mom's place for sell. I think it got voted yes, after a no vote, and locals were going to sue. They probably should it's going to wipe out any chance for the small business owner in downtown Pagosa, and many of them got cleaned out in the last 4 years, less tourists less money.

If you independently wealthy or retired with no health problems Pagosa might be ok. Just rent first, there are plenty of rentals believe.

Just check zillow and see how many for sale properties there are, scary.

Pagosa Springs Real Estate & Pagosa Springs CO Homes for Sale - Zillow Tell me that' not a economic depression. The town only has about 2-3k full time residents and Archuleta county has just over 10k.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
I believe the Native Americans preceded...
I assume that you are referring to the Siberian Interlopers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado