U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
If you are currently working in a job that is slowly eating away at you, then I would absolutely advise you to look at this as a potentially great opportunity. Yes, Durango is expensive, but I don't think it's a whole lot more expensive than Ashland. Yes, you will be taking a pay cut. But, it sounds like you know how to live frugally, and even if you don't find that dream home, you may be happier living in a 900 sq.ft. home if you appreciated the work you do. Bayfield is definitely commutable, and many people do it. However, you have to decide whether a commute is worth it for you to have a bigger house.

I just drove through that part of Colorado this past fall and it has grown quite a bit. No doubt the growth is way more than what you saw 15 or so years ago. It's a great community though, as you know, and if you have a job prospect and the area is calling you, I'd go for it. It sounds like you've been looking for 5 years and this is one of the better prospects. I think Durango is totally doable on $60K a year. I'd apply and at least see if you can get an interview! Best of luck!

Thanks for the encouraging words Delta07!

It is largely about what one finds most important, I suppose. However, the housing bubble really turned us into nation of haves and have nots in a somewhat unprecedented way. I am trying to make the best of it.

I will be talking with the folks next week, so hopefully will learn more then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:37 PM

18 posts, read 49,785 times
My wife and I moved to Durango in August of 2010 with no jobs lined up ahead of time. Had enough money to live frugally while we searched for employment. My wife was hired at Fort Lewis in Aug. 2010 as an Admin. Assistant. I worked a temp. job with the city of Durango until I was hired at Fort Lewis in Dec. 2011. We leased a house on Florida Mesa for $1500 mo. and purchased it the end of last year. It had been on the market originally for $500K and then lowered to $400K. We purchased it for $325K. It's 2300 sq. ft on 5 acres with irrigation. Takes 20-30 min to get to Ft. Lewis.

If you get the job you will be able to make it work. I would recommend leasing until you find what you want. Deals on realestate come up regularly. But many sellers start out thinking they can get what their house was worth 5 years ago.

Lots to do for kid here. There is something going on always. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM

9,995 posts, read 11,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M. View Post
My wife and I moved to Durango in August of 2010 with no jobs lined up ahead of time. Had enough money to live frugally while we searched for employment. My wife was hired at Fort Lewis in Aug. 2010 as an Admin. Assistant. I worked a temp. job with the city of Durango until I was hired at Fort Lewis in Dec. 2011. We leased a house on Florida Mesa for $1500 mo. and purchased it the end of last year. It had been on the market originally for $500K and then lowered to $400K. We purchased it for $325K. It's 2300 sq. ft on 5 acres with irrigation. Takes 20-30 min to get to Ft. Lewis.

If you get the job you will be able to make it work. I would recommend leasing until you find what you want. Deals on realestate come up regularly. But many sellers start out thinking they can get what their house was worth 5 years ago.

Lots to do for kid here. There is something going on always. Good luck!

Thanks Charlie M. Glad it worked out for you and your wife, and that you found a nice house!

Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
So, are you applying for the job and considering the move? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 15,033 times
Default Considering Durango...

Fiddlehead -- you're the only one who can balance your legitimate financial concerns with your lifestyle and career desires. Have you done a direct comparison between the costs of Ashland vs. Durango? The comments about real estate taxes are worth pursuing...you may be able to afford more than you think, when you take into account current low interest rates and the low property taxes here. The overall cost of living in Durango is lower than U.S. average, it's only the high cost of housing that is really out of whack. There are possibilities in and out of town in the low- to mid-threes, but they come and go really quickly.

For a "worst case" scenario, you might look at your potential expenses against only your Ft. Lewis income, in case your wife doesn't land a job soon or at the same salary.

I would encourage you to apply, dude! You will never know what you might have missed out on if you don't pursue it. For what you and your family like to do and how you live (frugally, books, hiking), Durango may be a very good fit for you. I made the leap last summer, from the Mid-Atlantic to here. We are renting instead of buying, for now. Our family income is in line with what your Ft. Lewis income would be, and it's tight, but do-able. I know there are far cheaper places to live -- but they don't have the San Juans, the desert, or many opportunities for outdoor adventure. There is also a terrific charter school, both at middle and high school levels. Anyone who can come here with a job in hand has a great chance of succeeding. I hope you'll continue to check it out. Good luck. Private message me if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado