U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,002 times

Advertisements

Eddyline and Colorado-Rambler...Thank You for your input and encouragement.

For SOME of the others. You people are Rude and it is Obvious to me that some of you have such a Terrible and Directionless Life that you have to come onto these message boards and spew that Venom and Hate towards others.

I am Sorry that my original-post was not formatted in the manner that I had written it. If you look closely you can see I had obvious paragraphs, but the message board still ran everything together. Maybe I should have checked the outcome better, but I did put a good bit of time and effort into being direct and informative of what I was asking.

What I was asking for was info on the Towns/Places on my original List. I have been to this area before. However, I have not spent enough time in all these places to get an idea of the Local Flare/Attitudes/Nuances/etc. This was what I was out for in my message, to hopefully come into contact with someone that had this Local knowledge on the places I listed.

Rico.......Telluride........Ouray.......Silverton. ......Lake City.......

I don't want to start even thinking of some place else until I have exhausted these areas first.

I had thought that maybe someone could reply and tell me that As an example. "Rico is such a tiny little nice town where everyone knows each other, where the town leaders have fought off major Developments and would be a great place to live"...or...Telluride has sort of a Dual personality where there are the Super Rich and the Down to Earth types. While development has happened it is still a very nice small town feel"...or..."I just Love all the Outdoor opportunities in Lake City and Ouray"

My business is very successful due to Very Hard work and Planning, but why should I have to explain that to you as I was not wanting a Lecture on how to operate a business.That obviously shows to me that those posters have no clue what it is like to have good customer relations at the very least. And def not a good attitude towards community. To the people that were rude and arrogant, go get a life and start treating people better.

I can see that SOME of you are miserable, I suggest going to get some professional help in getting rid of all that hostility. If that doesn't work then go F yourself, as I am sure with what I have seen from you, that you must get that allot.

Lastly; I still am hopping that someone from these areas with intimate Local knowledge can give me some advice on these beautiful places. Thank You again for your help and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoQY View Post

I had thought that maybe someone could reply and tell me that As an example. "Rico is such a tiny little nice town where everyone knows each other, where the town leaders have fought off major Developments and would be a great place to live"...or...Telluride has sort of a Dual personality where there are the Super Rich and the Down to Earth types. While development has happened it is still a very nice small town feel"...or..."I just Love all the Outdoor opportunities in Lake City and Ouray"

In other words, what you are wanting is a validation of some swarmy dream vision that you have of what those towns are like. I've seen that attitude from so many "wannabe Coloradans" on this forum that I've lost track.

I am probably more familiar with all of those towns than most anyone else on this forum--I've known all of them for nearly 50 years. That said, I've avoided posting a realistic picture of them for you in this thread because I was certain that it would elicit a response from you that I'm negative, ill-informed, etc., etc. So, you can just do some "boots-on-the-ground" research and find out for yourself what the reality is. And that reality is not going to look like the dream.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
^ I agree. "boots-on-the-ground" is the way to go! Anything less than that would foolish reliance on someone else's opinion, which is likely to be worlds apart from your own discovery....but it might just match your dream to a T. That is a possibility too.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
I wouldn't get so huffy evo, you'll need a thicker skin than that to survive in rural Colorado. People were just trying to give you tips in regards to posting.

Rico I've never even heard of, so ill pass on that but I do know about the other four towns.

For starters those towns are high mountain towns that in some cases sit in a canyon, so a 35 acre spread is not realistic in some cases.

I'm not one that buys into the whole "off the grid" thing. The water issue is a big one, especially with some of the cold elevations you are looking at. Electricity generation is also an issue in the many microclimates at that elevation. I've seen a lot of people get mixed up in all of that and it's one issue after another. Sound like you've got tons of homework to do.

Silverton I don't think is a realistic place to live unless you are Grizzly Adams. It has the shortest growing season in the lower 48 and it is wintery 11 months of the year. It's isolated and sits on a dangerous 2 lane road which makes it a pain to go anywhere else.

Telluride, very expensive ski town. Bring millions to live your desired ranch lifestyle.

Ouray, small tourist town in a box canyon. Ridgway nearby has more open space. Again bring money.

Lake City is nice but again isolated and in a canyon.

More realistically to have decent acreage and ability to access your property you'll need to look at some of the high desert areas instead.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In other words, what you are wanting is a validation of some swarmy dream vision that you have of what those towns are like. I've seen that attitude from so many "wannabe Coloradans" on this forum that I've lost track.

I am probably more familiar with all of those towns than most anyone else on this forum--I've known all of them for nearly 50 years. That said, I've avoided posting a realistic picture of them for you in this thread because I was certain that it would elicit a response from you that I'm negative, ill-informed, etc., etc. So, you can just do some "boots-on-the-ground" research and find out for yourself what the reality is. And that reality is not going to look like the dream.
People want the dream, reality is a different story.

My family has been in the real estate sales business in western Colorado for a long time.

I would guess based on what I know that a minimum of 95% of land sold to out of state dreamers never has a shovel stuck in the ground despite best intentions. Maybe more.

People just don't realize the costs involved to make a lot of this land livable and accessible.

I think it's great to live the dream and there are people that pull it off. One just has to know what they are getting into.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM

129 posts, read 216,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^ I agree. "boots-on-the-ground" is the way to go! Anything less than that would foolish reliance on someone else's opinion, which is likely to be worlds apart from your own discovery....but it might just match your dream to a T. That is a possibility too.
Doesn't that seem kind of obvious? How does this help the guy?

To Evo: Ridgway is in that area, and I think it would meet your qualifications. Consider adding it to your list. I don't know the people well enough to comment, though it was friendly when we were there last weekend. Ouray would never work, its just physically too small ( surrounded by the mountains ).

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
lovethehighcountry wrote: Doesn't that seem kind of obvious? How does this help the guy?

It helps the guy by bringing a dose of reality into the situation. Based on my experience of relocation 7 years ago, most of the places that were highly recommended to me by friends and acquaintances, and even my own research, turned out to be unappealing to me when I actually visited. On the other side of the coin, other places that were presented to me as places to avoid, actually had a rather strong appeal when I was physically present. Again, I will say that it is the mark of a fool to take anything read on this, or any other forum, with anything other than a grain of salt. The forum is a great tool for stimulating ideas, but it also raises false hopes about a place, or turns one away from a place that might be perfect, based merely on someone else's opinion. Nothing like boots on the ground to form your own opinion about a place, which is the ONLY opinion that actually matters.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM

352 posts, read 588,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoQY View Post
Eddyline and Colorado-Rambler...Thank You for your input and encouragement.

For SOME of the others. You people are Rude and it is Obvious to me that some of you have such a Terrible and Directionless Life that you have to come onto these message boards and spew that Venom and Hate towards others.

I am Sorry that my original-post was not formatted in the manner that I had written it. If you look closely you can see I had obvious paragraphs, but the message board still ran everything together. Maybe I should have checked the outcome better, but I did put a good bit of time and effort into being direct and informative of what I was asking.

What I was asking for was info on the Towns/Places on my original List. I have been to this area before. However, I have not spent enough time in all these places to get an idea of the Local Flare/Attitudes/Nuances/etc. This was what I was out for in my message, to hopefully come into contact with someone that had this Local knowledge on the places I listed.

Rico.......Telluride........Ouray.......Silverton. ......Lake City.......

I don't want to start even thinking of some place else until I have exhausted these areas first.

My business is very successful due to Very Hard work and Planning, but why should I have to explain that to you as I was not wanting a Lecture on how to operate a business.That obviously shows to me that those posters have no clue what it is like to have good customer relations at the very least. And def not a good attitude towards community. To the people that were rude and arrogant, go get a life and start treating people better.

I can see that SOME of you are miserable, I suggest going to get some professional help in getting rid of all that hostility. If that doesn't work then go F yourself, as I am sure with what I have seen from you, that you must get that allot.

Lastly; I still am hopping that someone from these areas with intimate Local knowledge can give me some advice on these beautiful places. Thank You again for your help and info.
What's your point? Oh, and too many paragraphs this time.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM

178 posts, read 488,137 times
I live just outside of Montrose and really enjoy visiting places like Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride, Silverton and Rico... Ouray is my favorite with the hiking in the mountains and more down to earth people but I wouldn't want to live there. I live on the edge of the country yet have what I consider to be "big city" amenities. Of course I'm near Montrose for employment reasons but even if I weren't I would still live here and consider the towns above as good vacation destinations. The last thing I want to do is spoil a vacation destination by living there full time. Cortez, or the country north of it, may also have some good land deals and yet be close to the high country. This is just an option you may or may not want to consider.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,002 times
GStone thnxx for the input it is much appreciated. I still have trouble understanding how people can be so negative without reading my whole post. Having to come back and Qualify your statement sure gets frustrating at times. I have spent time at all these cities that I mentioned However only spending a few days did Not give me the Feel for the place that I was hoping to get. But again GStone you answered my requests and thank you.
I can remember when I visited to Colorado on my last trip and my friend that lived there told me all the time to "Don't mind some people as they are Californians that have moved into the sate, they are not so nice people in general, not all but a good bit" and I can surely see that in allot of these posts.
Again; I am Not Planning on Living In Town but want Land outside of Town to go offgrid. So No Electricity, No Water, No Sewer is NOT a Problem and will lower said land value. None of You actually know my budget but all of you haters basically told me I dont have enough money.
Here it is almost a year later and I am still in the Planning and research phase. I fully realize that nothing great comes without sacrifice and good planning.
Lastly, after talking to some other Nicer Coloradans I have received allot of Useful information that i do appreciate and it gives me more INSIGHT, which was what I was asking for in the first place.
telling People to "forget it", You can't do it", blah blah blah is Not helpful at all. I feels for some of you people and the other helpful ones. Again many Many Thanks as you have been most helpful. It kills me how someone can actually post about a place they have never heard of or have actually been to..Rico is a Lovely little place...lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or