U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 AM

178 posts, read 488,379 times

Advertisements

Your welcome. I try to be straightforward with people. I hope all goes well with your plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,238,770 times
OP - I have been planning to live in the southwest for ages and have researched various places.

I suggest:

Take a couple of extended (I know your business consumes most of your time) visits to the area you are interested in both Summer and Winter, unless you do not plan on wintering over and really look around. Speak with realtors, ag store operators, garage owners, UPS drivers shippers and bankers. Become familiar with the places before you move there.

FWIW - I would never own horses or other livestock because they always require tending. If I wanted to hunt in the mountains I would hire a Hunting Guide Service and let them tend to the annoying details like horses, tents, food and locating the game.

Good luck with you plans and may you prosper wherever you are.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoQY View Post
GStone thnxx for the input it is much appreciated. I still have trouble understanding how people can be so negative without reading my whole post. Having to come back and Qualify your statement sure gets frustrating at times. I have spent time at all these cities that I mentioned However only spending a few days did Not give me the Feel for the place that I was hoping to get. But again GStone you answered my requests and thank you.
I can remember when I visited to Colorado on my last trip and my friend that lived there told me all the time to "Don't mind some people as they are Californians that have moved into the sate, they are not so nice people in general, not all but a good bit" and I can surely see that in allot of these posts.
Again; I am Not Planning on Living In Town but want Land outside of Town to go offgrid. So No Electricity, No Water, No Sewer is NOT a Problem and will lower said land value. None of You actually know my budget but all of you haters basically told me I dont have enough money.
Here it is almost a year later and I am still in the Planning and research phase. I fully realize that nothing great comes without sacrifice and good planning.
Lastly, after talking to some other Nicer Coloradans I have received allot of Useful information that i do appreciate and it gives me more INSIGHT, which was what I was asking for in the first place.
telling People to "forget it", You can't do it", blah blah blah is Not helpful at all. I feels for some of you people and the other helpful ones. Again many Many Thanks as you have been most helpful. It kills me how someone can actually post about a place they have never heard of or have actually been to..Rico is a Lovely little place...lol...
So, you came back to the forum a year later just give a whack at people who tried to give you a realistic picture of the places that you mentioned. Nice. Well, not only have I been to all the places that you mentioned--many times--but I also have friends and business contacts who do or did live in all of them. I've lived in small communities like you desire for most of my life. I can tell you right off that your defensive and rude attitude toward people that give you a contrary point of view to want you want to hear will not serve you well with most any of them.

For the record, I'm not some Californian that came to Colorado. I'm a Colorado native and I've lived in the Rocky Mountain West all of my life. I left Colorado, partly because the state is getting so overrun with transplant smartasses who think they know more about the state than the people who have lived there for generations and, because of that attitude, those "newbies" are turning the state into exactly what they left because they hated it so much.

Yes, you can make your "dream" come true if you want it badly enough. A good start would be to actually listen to the people who have "walked the walk" when they throw up a caution flag and say, "Maybe that (whatever "that" is) isn't such a good idea." Quite a lot of them have the experience to know what they are talking about.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
EvoQY wrote: I still have trouble understanding how people can be so negative without reading my whole post. Having to come back and Qualify your statement sure gets frustrating at times.

It's NOT that people are being negative, but rather YOUR own interpretation of what people are saying to you. If you don't like what you read, just let it roll off your back. Frustration is optional. You bring it upon yourself.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
I moved here from northwest Arkansas 5 years ago after I retired. Here's what I discovered: It's expensive, really expensive. Land and housing prices are insane. $100,000 will get you a mobile home here. My car insurance tripled, gasoline is high especially in mountain touristy towns, propane is insane. Buying land in the San Juan mountains? Be prepared to spend several hundred thousand to million dollars for a few acres. Living off grid can be done. Here those are called warming huts, but you'll need a snow mobile, a 4-wheel drive, a snow plow. In the high country, which is where you want to live, it starts snowing in September and stops in April. I've seen it snow on July 4th here. Yeah my first couple of years the snow was all nice and fun, now it's oh look it's May 1st and snowing AGAIN. It gets old.

And in winter, sunset is about 3pm. It can get gloomy and for months at a time. People tend to go a bit stir crazy. Alcoholism and drug use is very rampant around here.

Groceries? You'll drive an hour or more one way, and want to buy a month's worth at a time. I've been in Walmart and Safeway in a town 30 minutes away on the first of the month and I can tell the folks who live in the high country or Silverton because they have three carts full. Mountain passes close at times. A main one here (Red Mountain Pass on HWY 550) just re-opened to one lane after a rock slide. It was closed for two weeks.

Medical assistance? Every ambulance service is volunteer. So expect a half hour for someone to get to you. And if you're really hurt, they will call a helicopter for you. Guess how much that costs?

Anyway, I would suggest making a list of the areas you want to live in. Then I would suggest scouting out areas and land you're interested in in summer (a lot of county roads close, as in gates being shut, in winter). Then those you want, come visit in winter around this time of year. In some places in the high country there will be 10 to 20 FEET of snow or more. That takes a lot of consideration.

Now, with all the doom and gloom, I love it here. But then again, like I said, I'm retired and not depending on a job (which there are none). Summers are bright, warm and nights are cool. No one has air conditioning. Tourists are entertaining, annoying, but entertaining. There's a zillion jeep roads, hiking trails, old mines to explore. Fishing is great. In summer I'm able to find a place and not see another person all day. Once people get to know you and realize you're not trying to change everything, they're pretty darn friendly. I see bald eagles, deer, elk, geese, ducks, and various other wildlife every day.

Anyway, good luck to you. Let us know what happens.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Medical assistance? Every ambulance service is volunteer. So expect a half hour for someone to get to you. And if you're really hurt, they will call a helicopter for you. Guess how much that costs?
For helicopter, the current going rate is about $200 PER MILE. A flight from Ridgway to Grand Junction would cost about $18,000!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,206,242 times
To the OP - if you take a moment and look around the Colorado forum, you'll notice a very large number of similar posts:
I'm moving to _____!!!!
Need help finding a great town like _______
Wanna buy land near ____________

So - don't take it personally. Some of the posters commenting here have helped innumerable people w/ their CO pipedreams. They've taken their own time to write back and make suggestions, only to see posters disappear.

I would suggest somewhere near Pagosa Springs as the perfect mix of your requests. There's a bunch of empty 2nd homes and land parcels that never saw plans like yours come to fruition. That market seems to have gotten hit pretty bad and you may find a deal on land, especially south of town. Best of luck.....

Old 02-05-2014, 07:23 AM

66 posts, read 88,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, you came back to the forum a year later just give a whack at people who tried to give you a realistic picture of the places that you mentioned. Nice. Well, not only have I been to all the places that you mentioned--many times--but I also have friends and business contacts who do or did live in all of them. I've lived in small communities like you desire for most of my life. I can tell you right off that your defensive and rude attitude toward people that give you a contrary point of view to want you want to hear will not serve you well with most any of them.

For the record, I'm not some Californian that came to Colorado. I'm a Colorado native and I've lived in the Rocky Mountain West all of my life. I left Colorado, partly because the state is getting so overrun with transplant smartasses who think they know more about the state than the people who have lived there for generations and, because of that attitude, those "newbies" are turning the state into exactly what they left because they hated it so much.

Yes, you can make your "dream" come true if you want it badly enough. A good start would be to actually listen to the people who have "walked the walk" when they throw up a caution flag and say, "Maybe that (whatever "that" is) isn't such a good idea." Quite a lot of them have the experience to know what they are talking about.
How you manage to avoid getting banned is beyond me. The fact that you're encouraged to continue posting via awards speaks to the quality of the forum to be frank.

You mistake your negative long-winded diatribes w/ some sort of tough to swallow bitter pill of honesty.

I've read so many patently false statements by you I've lost track.

And you lie a lot, too. I've noticed this in your pattern. Every time you make a dumb or difficult to believe point you tacitly acknowledge it with a "I just spoke to some local guy and he agrees w/ me 100%."

Your simplistic attitude of modern CO represents your inability to cope w/ the modern age, not some sort of nuanced, old school approach to difficult problems that you possess and the "out of towners" lack. Your calling people out as defensive and rude represents a truly remarkable journey in un-self-awareness.

OP, Everyone is a "wannabe" too Jazz... outside of his miserable imaginary friends who have been farting on Colorado lands since the beginning of time and totally hate the noobz who ruined his beloved State.

ignore jazz's negative ramblings. He gets off on speaking down to people through the anonymity of the net...couple that w an outlet for his negativity and this place is like the family he never had.

Glad to hear you're killin' it out here, OP. I'm in La Plata County but I'm in your neck of the woods regularly. If I can help just ask.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM

463 posts, read 257,779 times
What a great post, ally. You summed up my thoughts on both this forum and jazz so well that I am breaking the rule listed in my status in order to post this. I don't have time to compose posts that are then summarily moved or deleted as an "orphaned" post so I have decided to no longer give any input here.

However, when someone so eloquently expresses my feelings about a subject I have to give kudos.

It should be mentioned that jazz is knowledgeable about many subjects, he really is. It is such a shame that all that knowledge and experience is so biased by his negativity and bitterness. That, in turn, is overshadowed by the fact that he will never admit there are any subjects in the universe that he is not an expert on, which is further compounded by the fact that he will never admit when he is wrong.

My opinion is that he has single-handedly kept more people out of Colorado than all other posters here combined. If that really is what the state wants, he should be encouraged to continue with all the negativity and bitterness. If on the other hand the state wants to continue to grow and change with the times then he should be put on a leash. If I had as much time as he does, I would create a identity here that is the antijazz and provide another viewpoint to his sky-is-falling posts in order to attempt to provide some balance.

He obviously has a huge chip on his shoulder when it comes to Colorado. The state and/or life must have done something to him that he will never forgive.

So, to the OP, please don't use jazz's posts alone to base decisions on. I moved to the San Luis Valley late last year and would not have done so if my only research was reading this forum. In my case at least, that would have been a mistake.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,087,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
On the other side of the coin, other places that were presented to me as places to avoid, actually had a rather strong appeal when I was physically present.
Indeed. Rural Peyton was the last place on our list when we were house hunting, but when we actually stood there by our future house, looking over the quiet fields with the majestic mountains beyond, we knew that was the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or