U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 11,002 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the SouthWestern area of the state Specifically the San Juan Mnts area. I wanted to see what kind of opinions/advice some of you might offer. I have visited although this area a few times and Fell in Love with the San Juan Mnts specifically the towns listed below. However that was a few years back and I was only able to spend a small amount of time in these towns. I thought to check in here with you maybe some are locals to these towns or surrounding area so as to give me their opinions of my plans on moving to this area of the San Juan Mtns. I am fairly certain the towns that I really would want to be near will be Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Lake City and I actually really Like Rico as my favorite. I have my own business doing Custom High Performance Auto/Motorcycle Fab/Welding so the Job issue will not be an issue as I have customers all over the country. I Design and Build Custom cars/Race Cars/Motorcycles/ and even do custom Artistic Wood-steel furniture. I plan on renting and or buying space in an neighboring town so as to operate my business. I then can concentrate on my Mini Ranch at my Land/Homestead. What I am planning is at least 35+ acres f(or the well water rights), and Bordering NSF/BLM/Wilderness lands. Hope to have water access but if not then I'll deal with it. A mini Ranch so to speak, a couple of Horses eventually but not at first. I am an Avid Mnt. Biker so in my dream Homestead; I want to open the front door and then ride to the trails adjacent to my property. I also am a Big Hunter hence the Horses(eventually) and I also am a Lifelong Fishermen close to nice water to Fly Fish. My Plan is to go as Off-Grid as I can. Wind Turbine, Bio Diesel Generator, Maybe Micro Hydro(maybe?) and Solar. If the Land I find has Electrical then good, if not then that is Ok by me. I want to have my Mini Ranch get back to a more simplified way of life. Basically have my business and shop in town and maybe a 30-45 commute at most to work and back at the Ranch have an awesome Off Grid Homestead. I think this land the 35+ Acres bordering Public Lands will be easier to find and also not as expensive if the Utilities are not available. That is great; since I want to go Off Grid at my Ranch/Homestead. I have been to various parts of Colorado and have been dreaming about moving there and now is the time. I really like the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton/Rico(really like Rico for it's remoteness)And Lake City Areas. I just really like this Southwestern area with the San Juan Mnts, and also the 4 corners region with so many outdoor opportunities available from surrounding states.
I have been searching for land and have found several sites that fit my priorities and also even my price range. They for the most part all are without utilities which is ok, a few have Electrical but most do not. I have allot of skills when it comes to building so I am going to build my own Smallish Cabin/Homestead at first. Start small and even if I add on it will still be smallish. I do not want nor need a 3,000 sq foot trophy cabin. Right now I live in a 1,400 sq ft house and it is too big for me. I am a Bachelor with 00/No Kids and a very small Family, just me and my Pup. Since I was a Teenager I have always wanted to live in a More Primitive setting, I am not talking a dirt hut mind you; as I like a nice clean organized home but at 51 (yrs Very Young) I don't need an elaborate place or setup either. Living Off Grid will allow me to have a much better way of life and also be able to afford a much more scenic land purchase also well within my budget.
Lastly as for winter time I will migrate down to Mexico and live off of my Houseboat in the Gulf of California for the 3 coldest winter months. That way if this property is at higher elevations I wont have to worry so much of the whole being snowed in/Snow Plowed road access situation.
Sorry for the long post, I might be crazy but this is my plan. And I fully realize that I might have to alter my Plans to a Plan A or even Plan C. But as for the main Goals, I feel that It is very attainable. I really honestly am set on the listed towns and area however I am willing to listen to other areas that are very similar. but I do not like Durango, or Pagosa Springs. I have heard some nice things about Platoro and someone said that Marble is a good place for getting away from development. I just want people that read my post that I do not want to actually live inside any of these towns. I want acreage outside of any town I decide upon. Going Off-Grid living is what I am after, no available utilities are great by me. So having Utilities is Not a Priority, now if I find my dream property and Electricity is on site then also great I won't turn it down and will be a good backup to my Off grid plans. Not to mention the lack of utilities will bring Lower prices for acreage. Thnxx for any help and or Info given.

So what do you think ? Opinions/Advice ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
EvoQY...The title of your thread caught my eye. I was going to offer my 2 cents, but your post is too much of a blob for me to even consider reading it. Please take a few minutes to add a few line breaks and make it more readable. I think you'll get a much better response by taking the time to do that.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
I did manage to read through your post (it was hard) but I'm not sure what you are asking from us. You mentioned quite a few different towns that you may want to live near (not in), so are you asking people here to give you input on those various towns? Maybe it would be easier if you just did a numerical list of these towns and ask people to comment on each.

You also mentioned that you want to buy 35 acres off the grid and you are apparently aware of water issues in Colorado. Are you asking people here to help you locate land? I think if you concisely list your property wants, you may get more input once people understand what you are looking for.

Are you also looking for advice on where you should locate your proposed business?

Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 AM

529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Make sure you have lots of money, and you'll be fine!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM

352 posts, read 588,531 times
Take a ton of money and get back to us when you find out how it is. And...smaller paragraphs man!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,603,494 times
There is a huge difference in price in some of the places you mentioned. If your in Ft. Garland or find one of the subdivision in that are it will be pretty cheap. If you go up to some of the resorts you mentioned then lots of money. Pagosa is nice and you can live out of town but what do you want to spend is the next question. I am looking at Trinidad, Pagosa and Chama which are all rural except Pagosa unless I live out aways. Remember the water issues mentioned above. I hadn't paid much attention to that issue until recently. Living on a ranch in Eastern OK, I can use as much water as I want. I can dig as many ponds as I want and keep all the rain water I want (little on the lite side recently!) but I am finding very stick laws in Colorado. Being a crazy gardener I want to water my green beans!!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Take a ton of money and get back to us when you find out how it is. And...smaller paragraphs man!
Jeepers, man- yeah, REALLY!

Ok, to the best of my understanding you want to come run a detail shop and grow green beans in Rico or Silverton? Oh, my goodness!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you'd better have money to burn and not give a darn about making a living (a big trust fund would be helpful). Rico (Dolores County) is just up the road from me and we got 20% unemployment out here - yes, no kidding. Plus, I'm sorry again, but even given water (a very big IF), the growing season in mountain towns like Rico or Telluride is all but non-existant. You can grow some columbines or other moutain wildflowers, but veggies - darned hard.

To make matters even worse, we are under going a period of extended warming and drought. Check out the threads on the trees and climate of the West Slope of Colorado. You're going to have a very difficult time on your ranchette, as a result. People around here are actually letting their horses go join the local mustang herd rather than pay for the high cost of hay.

Take a few deep breathes of clean, mountain air (no medical marijuana!), reformat your post and get back to us.

PS To the poster who referred to Fort Garland, that would be the San LUIS VALLEY not the San JUAN MOUNTAINS (whole different South Park! )

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 01-30-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,185,649 times
Great dream! Make it happen. You seem to have a good handle on what you want.
The recreational opportunities are unlimited in the San Juan Mountains!
There are probably plenty of places you could do it without the 30-45 minute commute twice a day. Remember, even with 3 months in Mexico, there will be times more isolated parcels will be snow bound.
Could your shop be on the same piece of property? Will you have employees?
One thing that crosses my mind is how hard will it be for you to get material, supplies and parts?
And how hard will it be to ship your finished products?

People need to read the post before commenting. Sounds like he is a successful businessman who is bringing his business/job with him. He said nothing about the San Luis Valley OR growing beans. He seem realistic about what he can afford and what is practical.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,445,057 times
For a business owner I think that Montrose would give you the most exposure to customers, supply chain, etc. Durango also might work. The other towns are just too small and remote to run a successful business.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
I finally got around to going back and reformatting/re-rereading the OP's post, so I could give a more reasonable answer. (Hope OP doesn't mind my reformat

Sorry about the "beans" thing in my first reply. Confused OP with another poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoQY View Post
I am moving to the SouthWestern area of the state Specifically the San Juan Mnts area. I wanted to see what kind of opinions/advice some of you might offer. I have visited although this area a few times and Fell in Love with the San Juan Mnts specifically the towns listed below.

However that was a few years back and I was only able to spend a small amount of time in these towns. I thought to check in here with you maybe some are locals to these towns or surrounding area so as to give me their opinions of my plans on moving to this area of the San Juan Mtns.

I am fairly certain the towns that I really would want to be near will be Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Lake City and I actually really Like Rico as my favorite. I have my own business doing Custom High Performance Auto/Motorcycle Fab/Welding so the Job issue will not be an issue as I have customers all over the country. I Design and Build Custom cars/Race Cars/Motorcycles/ and even do custom Artistic Wood-steel furniture.

I plan on renting and or buying space in an neighboring town so as to operate my business. I then can concentrate on my Mini Ranch at my Land/Homestead. What I am planning is at least 35+ acres f(or the well water rights), and Bordering NSF/BLM/Wilderness lands.
OK, now that I see that you are not dependent on local customers, your biz plans make much more sense to me. I'd say live in the vicinity of Rico and open your shop in either Dolores or Cortez. We're dying for work out here, and you'll find plenty of good potential employees. If we don't have all the skills you need, we're all willing and quick to learn! Your commute would be 45 minutes to Cortez in the summer. Since you're able to winter elsewhere, you're spared the nasty ice and snow Highway 145 between Rico and Cortez often features in the winter.

Lots of NSF land around with bordering private properties - suggest you check out Dunton (you'd love the Dunton area) and/or Stoner.

Quote:
Hope to have water access but if not then I'll deal with it. A mini Ranch so to speak, a couple of Horses eventually but not at first. I am an Avid Mnt. Biker so in my dream Homestead; I want to open the front door and then ride to the trails adjacent to my property. I also am a Big Hunter hence the Horses(eventually) and I also am a Lifelong Fishermen close to nice water to Fly Fish.
The West Dolores is a sweet stream for fisherman. McPhee Reservoir is also a big draw for outsdoorsman. The hay situation I mentioned in my previous post will still be a problem for anyone wishing to keep horses around here.

Quote:
... I have been to various parts of Colorado and have been dreaming about moving there and now is the time. I really like the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton/Rico(really like Rico for it's remoteness)And Lake City Areas. I just really like this Southwestern area with the San Juan Mnts, and also the 4 corners region with so many outdoor opportunities available from surrounding states.
Yes, I love that about this place as well. Canyonlands is just a couple of hours away over the Utah line. Then there's Bandalier in New Mexico, Sedonia area outside Flagstaff, Arizona, etc., etc. The possibilities are as endless as they are fantastic!

Quote:
I am a Bachelor with 00/No Kids and a very small Family, just me and my Pup.
You're both gonna love it! My corgi is never happier than when camped by my side on the West Dolores, or taking in the view from somewhere out at Island in the Sky National Park!

Sorry for my snarky reply earlier - but I just couldn't figure out your post till I went back and put some spacing in. Better now both ways, I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or