U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM

634 posts, read 890,696 times

Advertisements

I agree, -30 is rare. The high mountain valleys tend to get that kind of cold - think Fraser, Gunnison.
Keeps tabs on weather here: Leadville, Colorado (80429) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times
Here's the average temperature highs & lows for Leadville:

Average Weather for Leadville, CO - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM

13 posts, read 19,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromalderaan View Post
Retail/phone job?? You are 21 and the future is coming faster than you think. No one will care that you lived in Leadville, but they will care if you are educated or have a skill or trade.
I'll get my degrees all the same, why not live a few different places on the way? Retail/phone/etc jobs aren't that degrading at this age when I'm working towards a PhD in psychology. So, meh, a few tales of living two miles high will be a nice memory amidst the decade of school I endured. Fear not, a semester at CMC
awaits.

Thanks to everyone for providing the thorough info so far, particularly the personal experiences. Can't wait to peek out the window at the highest mountains in the state!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
You really have romanticized Leadville and frankly it's just not that kind of place. You'll be lucky if you can get a job as a cashier at a gas station, people in Leadville drive an hour over a mountain pass to work at Wal-mart and Home Depot, there are no phone jobs, there are no companies that would ever set up a call center in Leadville. Most often in the mountains if a place is inexpensive to live in there is a very valid reason way that is. Then again I only live a mile and a half up and only look out on a minor mountain range daily, what could I possibly know that you don't.

Visit First!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM

356 posts, read 513,556 times
My wife and I visit Leadville quite frequently because she likes riding up at Cooper and the snowshoeing is amazing up there. However if you don't enjoy the outdoors (i.e., hiking, snowshoeing, skiing/riding, x-country, snowsleding, etc.) you'll find your entertainment options very limited.

I agree with the 2 beers and trashed comment, due to altitude.

Road back to Copper or the other route to Vail can get pretty treacherous in the winter making it a b***ch to get anywhere.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 PM

13 posts, read 19,110 times
Just want to thank everyone again for all the informative responses. Oh, and thanks to all pessimistic interneterz for making my day so bright with your oh so factual comments about my poor choice in career and residence.

Anyway, we've changed our plan. Looks like we'll be doing a year in c springs or a nearby town, perhaps manitou. Then a small break for leadville, then finally Denver. I'll be posting on the c springs board if anyone has any insight to provide over there!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:59 AM

206 posts, read 472,046 times
Whew, you had me worried.

I thought you might be of the mind.......

"You can't handle the truth".

But your common sense prevailed.......

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado