U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,623,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm sure jazzlover is going to be happy about this new development.
Perhaps he'll move to Virginia, completely missing the irony of the situation.

I did graduate school in Colorado and hope to completely retire somewhere in the mountain west, but the cheddar is here in VA-MD-DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,980,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
but the cheddar is here in VA-MD-DC.
For the next couple of months anyway.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM

48 posts, read 73,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Perhaps he'll move to Virginia, completely missing the irony of the situation.

I did graduate school in Colorado and hope to completely retire somewhere in the mountain west, but the cheddar is here in VA-MD-DC.
My husband managed to keep his salary with our move, and what passes for a $250,000 - $300,000 house there, would barely buy the tiny townhouse that my family is living in. True though, that the economy is MUCH better here in DC.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,313,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm sure jazzlover is going to be happy about this new development.
Doesn't jazzlover hang out in GJ?

Whatever...

I can't tell you how amusing it is to read all you folks from the Front Range complaining about isolation and posting about how relaxed it is in DENVER?

BWAHHHH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

OMG! The Western Slope isn't just a different part of the state, it's a different part of the COUNTRY, maybe the WHIRRLED!

(Grew up in the Springs, BTW; married a man from Arlington, VA) *wipes away tears of laughter*

Meanwhile, back at the RANCH...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM

10,612 posts, read 10,994,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiagrrrl View Post
My husband managed to keep his salary with our move, and what passes for a $250,000 - $300,000 house there, would barely buy the tiny townhouse that my family is living in. True though, that the economy is MUCH better here in DC.
This is awesome news for you. Cost of living in Denver is not even close to what it is in DC. You can either save a lot of money or move in to a pretty nice upscale neighborhood. Lots of options for you.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 PM

16,996 posts, read 19,356,834 times
I might move to Colorado after I'm done making all of my money in DC and retire. Gotta love those mountains.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,745,548 times
I will ignore all the snarky personal remarks directed at me and answer the question.

First, Denver has one of the largest presences of Federal offices outside of Washington, D.C. That has been the case since World War II, when the Feds thought it wise that a chunk of Federal offices should be located in an inland location, away from any potential coastal invasion. Of course, that threat is pretty much a moot issue now, but, bureaucratic inertia being what it is, Denver remains a very large Federal "outpost." The location for that initially was a site occupied by the Remington Arms Co. as a munitions plant in Denver, also located at that inland location for security reasons. That became the Denver Federal Center.

Colorado Springs achieved similar status in the 1950's, during the Cold War, with the location of the Air Force Academy and the Cheyenne Mountain facilities there. The latter probably made some strategic sense during the Cold War, but the former was pure pork barrel politics. Dwight Eisenhower, the then President, had a direct Colorado connection--his wife lived in Colorado for some time--so, it likely was not too difficult to persuade him to shovel some pork Colorado's way. (Parenthetically, the first "official" Air Force One's, Lockheed Constellations, were named Columbine II and III, named after the state flower of Colorado.)

Second, Colorado has always been sort of a "revolving door" for many federal employees. I suspect that nearly as many federal employees have been transferred from Colorado to Washington, D.C. as have been transferred from there to Colorado. For example, in agencies with which I have had a long relationship--the US Forest Service and BLM, doing a career stint with them in anything above a mid-level position almost always involved "doing time" (often a lengthy time) in DC. In fact, a career path in those agencies to a high administrative level almost precludes a person from refusing a transfer to DC, no matter how much the individual may dislike having to relocate there. Certainly, Colorado would likely be considered a prime "duty station" compared to some of the pits where Federal employees have to go, but if one expects advancement beyond the lower levels in Federal employment, it usually means going where the government tells you to go to work.

Now, that has, for decades been an economic boon for Colorado, with billions of dollars of Federal pork directed into the state. Unfortunately, it has also made Colorado both very dependent on that pork for its economic well-being, and very lazy about trying to hold and attract private industry not directly tied to that pork. (Even age-old Coors, one of Colorado's few remaining "flagship" companies, derives much of it business from government contracts--through its porcelin products division that does much defense and aerospace work.)

One shoud not have to be much above moronic intelligence to figure out that any constriction in federal pork-barrel spending (and that is inevitable in the long run) will have a disastrous effect on the federal-dependent Colorado economy, but apparently most Coloradans, new or otherwise, want to bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge that reality.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM

346 posts, read 390,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiagrrrl View Post
The Redskins play the Broncos in Denver this next football season. Hoping for a huge Redskins showing. We are giving up our season tickets to move!
Since the arrival of a Hall of Fame QB in PFM, you won't see a huge Redskins showing. In fact, Mile High is probably the only remaining sports venue in Denver where you will usually see at least 90% for the home team. Long waiting list for season tickets, too. Bronco Nation rules here.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM

356 posts, read 512,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Since the arrival of a Hall of Fame QB in PFM, you won't see a huge Redskins showing. In fact, Mile High is probably the only remaining sports venue in Denver where you will usually see at least 90% for the home team. Long waiting list for season tickets, too. Bronco Nation rules here.
Yup- steer that 'Skins bandwagon elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Jazz, nothing in your post merits any snarky replies, it's a good history lesson. Only thing I take exception to is the exaggerated claim of a "disastrous" effect. Your penchant for bombastic predictions is well known and it weakens the cases you state.

When these cyclic Federal drawdowns occur it is generally a matter of several percentage points of shrinkage, not wholesale shut-downs like the old round of base closings. None of the military bases in COLO are going to go away, there's even a chance Carson could add 8000 more troops, depending on how congress acts, or doesn't act. I've witnessed these funding cuts and closures for 40 years now and voila, the nation survives and prospers none the less. Paul Samuelson, one of my fave economists calls this creative destruction (or something of the sort). As studiers of railroad history, we both know the wholesale loss of jobs that occurred as railroads converted from steam to diesel power but we must not fail to recognize the job creation that happened as the trucking grew by leaps and bounds. It all evens out in the end.

COLO is not alone in the world of occasional Federal shrinkages; at a minimum there will be impacts in WA, CA, NV, NM, CO, LA, TX, OK, KS, IL, PA, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, KY, GA, FL, HI, AK and who knows where else. Some contracts may end. It's happened before, many times, and it will again. It may be a "disaster" for those affected but that's mostly media hype. After a lot of military bases closed there were local impacts but most of those bases quickly got re-purposed into productive uses, and most affected people found work in other places.

And having spent 30 years in DC, it is true that climbing the ladder in most Federal agencies involves spending some time at a DC-area HQs of some sort. Most of us who made it a few rungs up the ladder had our eyes on getting out of town to areas with better quality of life and a gentler work environment. Those of us who never made it out of DC left town soon after retirement for nicer places. Also, a lot of career positions in the Federal government require periodic re-assignments to field offices around the nation to develop the people who will move into upper management positions further in their careers. Many of us wanted to spend a few years in Hawaii and Germany but few got such plums.

Denver is a very attractive place to be graced with a career move, and more affordable than most coastal areas. I knew some playboy style Army officers who were skiers and always conniving to get another tour at Fort Carson.

It is what it is, an attractive area will always attract more people until supply/demand price it out of bounds, as I've been priced out of NYC, Seattle, San Francisco and Hawaii.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-31-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or