U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times

Advertisements

Wish I could package some sticky East Coast air for you and get it out of Massachusetts to someone who actually likes it. Although we're having a cold sunny gorgeous spring now, I know malaria season is coming and I'm so glad I'm visiting Colorado and Utah in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 AM

238 posts, read 615,400 times
Also a fairly recent transplant from the Nova (Fairfax) and MD (Annapolis and Baltimore) areas.

Love the plentiful outdoor activity options in the area, especially all of the amazing national parks you can reach in a day or so. (Check out Moab if you find yourself with a little time off, great town!) The pace does seem slower compared to back home, which can have its positives and negatives. Even rush hour traffic is a breeze compared to 495. People (generally) seem much more pleasant and happy, at least in the 'burbs.

I do miss being able to hop in the car and drive to the ocean though... Someone please bring me a MD crab cake!

P.S. I went to the Choppers Ravens bar for the Superbowl - awesome crowd! Felt like home.

**Edit: you also asked why Colorado. It was simple, we were able to keep the same wages we were making in NoVA. What a deal, especially when it comes to real estate. Other contenders were Florida, California, and Arizona but Colorado was right for us at the time.**

Last edited by Pequeño_Bonsai; 05-17-2013 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Adding on

Old 05-19-2013, 04:32 PM

55 posts, read 71,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
More than anything though...I'm just longing to go feel the sticky summer air of my home state on my skin, smell the honeysuckle and listen to the cicada--and ride the AWESOME rollercoasters at King's Dominion!!! Colorado is OK. But I miss home...
Lived up in Glen Allen for a spell. It was a great time and I surely miss a whole bunch of stuff out there in good old VA. The 2 things I don't even remotely miss: The traffic (everywhere) and that relentlessness summer heat and humidity! If I ever hear Robby Thompson's 'Sweet Virginia Breeze' again, it might just put me into therapy. 101 deg, 100% humidity, no breeze, broken AC and a sick kid - stuck in beach traffic on the 64 beltway. All the while, ol' Robby just swooning away, mocking me.......

That ocean was mighty nice though.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,966 times
Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Denver to DC in a month and am trying to figure out where to live? My office is near L'Enfant so I'd like to take the Metro, and possibly live in VA or MD. I like green space more than I like a hip scene. I live in Uptown now but like Cap Hill and Boulder. It's likely that I would hate to live in a place like Columbia Heights (too much going on). Any tips?

I'm not sure if I'll keep my car.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM

346 posts, read 391,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Seriously? When we went to a Broncos-Steelers game a few years ago, there were more people in Pittsburgh apparel than Broncos. There were so many people cheering for Pittsburgh, it was hard to figure out what was happening on the field. (We were high up.) Even at the Broncos-Ravens playoff game in Jan (brrr!) there was a representation of Ravens fans. A lot of people are from somewhere else. They keep their hometown loyalties for a long time. It took me about 30 years to convert.
A few years ago the Broncos were awful, and season ticket holders sold those seasons in droves. BTW, there's still a five year wait for those. Steelers represent well WHEREVER they play. I have friends from here that are devout fans! I was also at the Ravens game last season. There were probably a thousand or so of their fans there, which means about 1% of the crowd. Big deal. It sure got quiet when Rashim Moore blew his coverage.
You want to see a lame excuse for a home crowd, go to Phoenix. At practically every game there are more fans for the opposing team.
Broncos Nation ranks 7th in the NFL for fan loyalty. Not too shabby.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM

48 posts, read 73,505 times
Well, we've been living here since the beginning of March, so a little under three months. So far, it has gone very well. My husband is so happy to be back in Colorado, and the kids and I are adjusting to living somewhere new.

We live in Parker, and I laugh when I meet people who complain about the traffic or cost of things here. My husband used to commute into DC, and he would leave at like 5:00am, and get home around 6:00pm in Virginia. Here, he leaves at 6:00am, and is home by 4:00pm. We chose to rent for the first year out here, and while it is true that it appears that the housing market is on the rise. We can still get a very nice house here for what we'd pay for a small townhouse in NOVA.

So far so good! I am looking forward to school getting out, so we can go visit some of the sites around Colorado. We are traveling back to the DC area to visit friends before heading down to Myrtle Beach for a week this summer. I am super excited to go 'back home,' but so far, glad that I get to come back to Colorado after the vacation.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times
Glad you're enjoying it virginiagrrrl. I absolutely love it out here. I've considered federal employment as an option after I complete my Master's. I've found I enjoyed working for the Feds and the pay and benefits are more than enough to have a great life with my fairly modest spending, but I would reject a relocation--especially to DC. It's unfortunate the system moves so many people through that area.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanD82 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm moving from Denver to DC in a month and am trying to figure out where to live? My office is near L'Enfant so I'd like to take the Metro, and possibly live in VA or MD. I like green space more than I like a hip scene. I live in Uptown now but like Cap Hill and Boulder. It's likely that I would hate to live in a place like Columbia Heights (too much going on). Any tips?

Thanks!
I'm not going over to look, but I hope you posted this in the DC/VA/MD forums too?

Normally this wouldn't be appropriate to the Colorado forums, but as many transplants as we do have here from that region, it just might work...

I can't give any directly useful input unfortunately because I lived in Northern Virginia as a teenager and I wasn't hip to the worst part of that area (the traffic) until I made a vacation trip back and was dumb enough to fly into DC and try to drive a rental car down 95 to Fredericksburg in the middle of the day. I actually spent most of the drive on Rte 1 instead, because 95 was literally crawling along. What should have taken maybe an hour took about FIVE HOURS.

Your housing budget is going to greatly impact where you can live in that area, I can tell you that much. There are some relatively pretty areas out to the northwest of DC, but they are $$$EXPENSIVE$$$. In fact I hate to say this, but most places that are within a sane commute distance to DC and not in the ghetto, are going to be outrageously priced. That's just how it is there.

Good luck though!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanD82 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
One of my kids is probably about your age, lives on Capitol Hill and loves it. However, I'm not sure you'll find your fill of "green space" there so perhaps try Old Town Alexandria. If you live in DC you probably won't need a car. They have Zipcar if you really need one on occasion. You can get around pretty well on a bike. For more go to the Northern Virginia or DC forums. Don't bother with Maryland. It's not for people from the West.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-24-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,966 times
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or