U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 71,811 times

Advertisements

I have been reading these Denver/Colorado boards for a while, because we are moving to Denver in March from the DC area (Northern Virginia) I have been really surprised at the number of people posting here who are moving from the DC area, or have already moved from that area. I know they say that all of California is moving there, but it sure seems to me to be DC!

If you've moved to Colorado from here, or plan to, can I ask why Denver over anywhere else? If you are already there, how do you like it? (Beyond the brown scenery vs the green, I get that!)

My husband considers Colorado Springs home, so he's always wanted to go back to Colorado. I've lived in the DC area all my life, so I am excited to live somewhere else. I am also hoping for a more laid back life. Things in Northern VA are so crazy! Of course, then I wonder if I will adjust to a more laid back life, but hopefully.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 25 days ago)

10,314 posts, read 10,465,436 times
I'm from the Denver area but am currently here in Fredericksburg, VA. Denver is certainly more laid back than the NoVA area, especially inside the Beltway. Traffic in Denver and Colorado Springs is non-existant compared to here.

Denver is a pretty dynamic area that appeals to a lot of different people. It is possible that it gets overplayed, but then again, it is considered to be under rated by many as well. I hope you enjoy living there. What is your reason for moving? Work?

My wife and I love it out here in VA. While it is a higher pace, living in Fredericksburg I'm pretty much at the southern extreme. We live with a lot of D.C. commuters in our neighborhood, but there is a lot of rural area here as well. We bought a house (closed on it this month) and my wife is already talking long haul in this part of the country. I am not opposed to that, but would love to return to Denver some day.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM

20,321 posts, read 37,826,095 times
After 31 years in Chantilly, VA, the wife and I escaped to COLO SPGS in 2005 and love it.

You're gonna love Colorado.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I'm from the Denver area but am currently here in Fredericksburg, VA. Denver is certainly more laid back than the NoVA area, especially inside the Beltway. Traffic in Denver and Colorado Springs is non-existant compared to here.

Denver is a pretty dynamic area that appeals to a lot of different people. It is possible that it gets overplayed, but then again, it is considered to be under rated by many as well. I hope you enjoy living there. What is your reason for moving? Work?

My wife and I love it out here in VA. While it is a higher pace, living in Fredericksburg I'm pretty much at the southern extreme. We live with a lot of D.C. commuters in our neighborhood, but there is a lot of rural area here as well. We bought a house (closed on it this month) and my wife is already talking long haul in this part of the country. I am not opposed to that, but would love to return to Denver some day.
Fredericksburg is the best of both worlds in this area. Close enough to enjoy the DC amenities, but far enough away that you can't pretend you don't live so close. I grew up in Alexandria, so I've always been close. Now, in Centreville, it used to feel that way, but after living her 13 years, it has developed to just another suburb.

My husband was an Air Force brat, and his father moved them to Colorado Springs when he retired. He spent Junior High on there, then went to school at Fort Lewis and worked in Denver before moving out here for work. Since we met, he's always said he wanted to go back to Colorado. A good job offer came along, so off we go.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,033,460 times
Denver is US Capitol West with 30000 federal employees, plus all of the other bureaucrat and private riff raff that feed off of it, so no surprise really that you would see a lot of DC people ending up out in Colorado.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
After 31 years in Chantilly, VA, the wife and I escaped to COLO SPGS in 2005 and love it.

You're gonna love Colorado.
We were practically neighbors! I grew up in Alexandria, but we moved to Centreville when we got married.

I've visited Denver a few times, most recently this past July. We really enjoyed it. Looking forward to moving there!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Denver is US Capitol West with 30000 federal employees, plus all of the other bureaucrat and private riff raff that feed off of it, so no surprise really that you would see a lot of DC people ending up out in Colorado.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 PM

18,968 posts, read 8,900,001 times
I lived in Falls Church for years, and then in Dumfries (or as my soon called it, Dumbass). I do like it out here, BUT I do miss the many things there were to do in Washington -- the museums and galleries, events on the Mall, etc.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,442,173 times
Three years ago my ds, wife and two yo packed up from No. Va. and moved to Colorado Springs to get the heck out of this area. He was fortunate as he could telecommute and took his job with him. He has since then changed jobs and they now live in the Denver area and will never look back. They love it out there. While I hate seeing them far from here, I love going to visit them and can totally understand why they wanted to do it. There is a lot of federal related work there, he's doing that now and says the people who come out on business from DC are envious.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

10,684 posts, read 28,516,426 times
Count me in too. I was born and raised in DC. I graduated from Montgomery County MD schools. MFBE & I will tell you to bring crabs as your entry fee to CO.

I was caught off guard to see you had to pay for entry to a museum. I had never paid before. I do miss lightning bugs.

The :: Welcome to SCFD: Making It Possible :: has a list of free days :: Welcome to SCFD: Making It Possible :: to area residents in/near Denver.

I do not miss the cicadas, the humidity, the traffic, or the intensity/speed of living.

I much prefer the speed/quality of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or