U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,327,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJA1970 View Post
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies. Sounds like a no brainer...Rte-285 is our route. I'm hoping by late May the weather should be decent, and not much of a concern on the high passes. I assume there are places to pull off and get some photos of all the scenic places you've all described? Thanks again. Really looking forward to this trip!
It's possible to run into snow in May in the mountains. I've gotten stuck on the wrong side of Vail Pass more than once in the month in May. But LATE May, you'll probably be fine.

There are lots of places to stop and take photos of the endless scenic vistas on 285. It's truely gorgeous and you're gonna love it!

Gives me a strong bout of Spring fever, myself. Can't wait till the passes open and I can go ramble again.

Have a great trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,036,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thank you. I was wondering if someone had snuck up and built another Interstate while I wasn't looking. I-25 Denver to Santa Fe is BORIIINNNGG! US 285 is by far the better route. Yep, you have to go over a few mountain passes, but if you don't like driving in the mountains why on earth would you come to Colorado in the first place?
I fixed the title of this thread regarding the type of highway that is US-285.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,896,546 times
It's unfortunate that you're kind of "scooting through" because 285 has quite a bit to offer. When I lived in the Denver area and when I was a tad bit healthier back in the days of Methuselah, I spent quite a bit of time on 285 going fishing and camping in the South Park area and the San Juan mountains surrounding the San Luis Valley. Next time you come through and have time, spend a day in Chama or Antonito, and take a ride on the Cumbres Toltec Scenic Railway. It doesn't get the publicity of the Durango Silverton run, but it is every bit as enjoyable. You say you want to see wildlife? You will here. Antonito has one of the best restaurants in the San Luis Valley-the Dutch Mill Cafe.

From south of Antonito to probably Espanola you can make ok time but the N.M. State patrol watches that road, trust me. Espanola is where the traffic stacks up. It's been some time since I've been through Espanola going into Santa Fe, there has been quite a bit of road work through there done over the years.

A quick note on Crow Hill-speed limit I believe is 40 m.p.h., don't go 45. The man with the speed gun is there to greet you as you're coming into Bailey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado