U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,224,294 times

Advertisements

4th graders might be interested in current popular artists from Colorado like The Fray and Lumineers, both of which they have probably already heard on the radio over the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,037,123 times
Thank you everyone for your help!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
One of the strange ironies that came out of the Swing Era was that, while Glenn Miller and Jimmie Lunceford, both who had lived and learned their music skills in Colorado--the former becoming probably the most famous bandleader of the Swing Era--were just about to become mega-hit bandleaders, Benny Goodman, in 1935, on his first major cross-country tour with his band, flopped horribly in Colorado. The band was roundly boo'ed at Elitch's Trocadero Ballroom in Denver and actually had to dodge beer bottles and the like at their next gig in Grand Junction. Of course, within a year, Goodman was known as the "King of Swing." Years later, Harry James, who was lead trumpeter with Benny Goodman in 1937 and 1938 and then fronted his own very successful band for several decades up until his death in 1983, commented to my father at a performance of James' band at Elitch's Trocadero in Denver, "Well, they've treated me a lot better in Denver than they did Benny back in '35."

Ironic, then, that one of the tunes with which Benny Goodman scored a big hit was a swingin' tune that referenced the Rocky Mountain region, "Swingtime in the Rockies."

"SWINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES" BY BENNY GOODMAN - YouTube

As for Lunceford, he recorded both of these hits.

Blues in the night Jimmie Lunceford.. - YouTube

Tain't What You Do - Jimmy Lunceford - YouTube

Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
4th graders might be interested in current popular artists from Colorado like The Fray and Lumineers, both of which they have probably already heard on the radio over the past few years.
There are several others, including: One Republic, Churchill, 3Oh!3, Breathe Carolina, and The Flobots to mention a few that get a lot of airplay. Big Head Todd and the Monsters (whose remake of John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom has been used in many different movies and ads) has been together for over 25 years.

Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind, and Fire and solo fame is a Denver native. The band also recorded at the Caribou Ranch studio, a legendary studio near Nederland, where several of the top bands of the 70s and 80s recorded. Unfortunately it was destroyed by a fire in 1985 and never rebuilt. The list of groups that recorded here is a who's who of rock, including: U2, Joe Walsh, Tom Petty, Elton John, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chicago, and many more.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's pretty old school. I'm talking about more modern Western artists like:

Tom Russell
Ian Tyson
Gretchen Peters
Don Edwards
Suzy Bogguss
Jerry Jeff Walker
Lyle Lovett
Nanci Griffith
The late John Stewart
Tish Hinojosa
Robert Mirabal
Jim Almand
A few more of today's artists would include Michael Martin Murphy, Red Steagall, Riders In The Sky, Ed Bruce, and the Sons Of The San Joachin. Murphy, a former Colorado resident who moved near Red River, New Mexico, has been doing quite a bit of traditional cowboy standards from the last several years and tours extensively these days. He's played in several Colorado cities just in the past couple years and organized a "Westfest"concert that usually went for three days. Am not sure if he is still doing that.
I've seen several of the above artists CAVA1990 has listed and they are great musicians.

And a special mention to one of the best of this music genre who passed a few years ago- Chris Ledoux.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
A few more songs about Colorado worth checking out:

Denver- New Christy Minstrels (released on 45 only by Columbia Records)
Colorado- Flying Burrito Brothers (A&M SP-4295)
Colorado- Steven Stills/Manassas (Atlantic SD-2-903)
Colorado- Ozark Mountain Daredevils (A&M release-their first lp from 1973)

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
One current nationally known jazz singer, who lives in Denver, that I forgot in my earlier list: Rene Marie. She even wrote a song about a float trip down the Colorado River:

Rene Marie - Colorado River Song - YouTube

Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM

62 posts, read 61,545 times
When I think of definitively Colorado music I think of Big Head Todd & the Monsters. I'm guessing a lot of other folks straddling gen x/y do as well.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,560 times
Default music 4 u

what u have taught is good but may b u should select some newer stuff as there isn'tmany of us left that know or can hear your latest. i can't get in the mood right now as even the ones i like don't fit the young set now.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,518,333 times
I've been thinking about this for years and was wanting to start a thread about it, but it looks like this one already has some great suggestions which I should just fortify or add to. What I've been looking for is music that EPITOMIZES the state, not just artists that happen to live here and occasionally maybe write songs that mention it. Kentucky has bluegrass, Chicago and the Mississippi have their own distinct styles of blues, and Hawaii has, you know, Hawaiian music. Even Alaska now has a lot of their own Native American pop and hip-hop music hitting the larger scene. So where's OUR music??? Sure, there's Big Head Todd and some other acts like DeVotchKa and the Lumineers. Those are all fine bands with great music out, but nothing really inspired by and evoking the spirit of Colorado itself. So here's my list (some of them are cliche and/or repeats, I know):

1. Chuck Pyle, a.k.a. the Zen Cowboy - Not a superstar by any means, but very prolific and has written more songs genuinely about Colorado and the Rockies than anyone else I've found. - Chuck Pyle | Music

2. John Denver - I know... really?... but can you even leave him off? Rocky Mountain High is one of two official state songs. -
Rocky Mountain High: John Denver - YouTube

3. A.J. Fynn - the composer of Colorado's first official state song, Where the Columbines Grow", but that's really just an anthem, not indigenous folk. -
Colorado- Where the Columbines Grow - YouTube

4. Paper Bird - Received some big publicity from NPR in the past few years. Their folksy-jazz-pop style isn't really my thing, so their not my favorite, but they have made some good songs that can truly be considered Rocky Mountain Folk - Music Paper Bird

5. Benny Goodman - His music is typically not associated with Mountain Fold at all, but 'Swingtime In The Rockies' is one of the greatest Big Band Swing songs ever -
"SWINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES" BY BENNY GOODMAN - YouTube

6. Gene Autry - 'Springtime in the Rockies' a fine Western Folk song from a true legend -
Springtime In The Rockies - Gene Autry - 1937 - YouTube

7. Joe Walsh and Barnstorm - Rocky Mountain Way - a classic rock song that's sort of about Colorado -
Joe Walsh- Rocky Mountain Way - YouTube

8. Ozark Mountain Daredevils - The Ozarks aren't the Rockies, I know, but their 'Colorado Song' is one of the best I've heard -
Ozark Mountain Daredevils "Colorado Song" - YouTube

9. Dan Gibson - You can get a Gibson CD for just about any region in the US and Canada, so it's hardly unique to us, but his Rocky Mountain Suite does try to capture the awesome beauty of the High Country, even though it's more about AK, Canada and Montana in this case -
Dan Gibson's Solitude ~ Rocky Mountain Suite 1 - YouTube

10. Jeremy Facknitz - my personal favorite 'local' artist (although, sadly, he just moved away). I have seen him live many times, and he has a great song about Bijou Bridge in COS - Amazon.com: Bijou Bridge: Jeremy Facknitz: MP3 Downloads (try not to notice that it's really about suicide)

That's my top ten (not necessarily in order). Unfortunately we have no Bill Monroe or Israel Kamakawiwo'ole of our own yet, but we really need one. So, kids, start practicing that zither and the alpine horn, we need our own musical identity BAD!!! Big Head Todd and John Denver just ain't cuttin it!

Last edited by otterprods; 08-01-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or