U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,038,401 times

Advertisements

One of the state standards in teaching music is to educate fourth grade students on prominent Colorado styles and musicians. Since I'm a transplant, I know of a few but I'm not an expert. So far I've taught:

Cowboy Songs
Home on the Range
Get along little dogies

of course
Where the Columbines grow
Rocky Mountain High
If I had a Wagon I would go to Colorado
America the Beautiful

What else would you suggest?

Please remember, these songs need to be school appropriate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Well, how about "Colorado, My Home" from the musical "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"? Of course, it was a Broadway score and lyrics written by Meredith Wilson, but it is all about Colorado.

Now, if you want to venture into music performers with strong Colorado connections, here are a few:

Paul Whiteman, from Denver. Considered by many to be one of the white pioneers in jazz, and one of the fathers of the Big Band era. Numerous other Big Band leaders learned under him or worked for him. One who was tutored by Whiteman, and who also lived in Denver for a time, was Jimmie Lunceford, a black musician, who led what was arguably one of the best Big Bands of the era.

Then, of course, Glenn Miller, who, though born in Iowa, grew up in Fort Morgan, Colorado and attended CU. Stan Kenton, who led a sterling jazz band for decades, lived for a time in Monte Vista as a child.

In later eras, there was/is Grammy winner folk singer Judy Collins who grew up in Denver; four time Grammy winning jazz singer Dianne Reeves, who graduated from George Washington High School in Denver and attended CU in Boulder; Academy Award winner and 12 time Grammy winner, band leader, prolific composer (especially for movies) and record producer Dave Grusin, from Littleton; Johnny Smith, arguably in the top 10 of jazz/pop guitarists of all time, who lived in Colorado Springs for decades; Nelson Rangell, one of the best jazz woodwind players around, who grew up in Castle Rock and still lives in Denver; Ralph Sharon, who was, for decades, the pianist who accompanied Tony Bennett, as well as enjoying a successful solo career, who has lived in Boulder for decades; Spike Robinson, who also lived in Colorado for decades, one of the best jazz tenor saxophonists ever; Ernie Watts, who has lived part time in Carbondale for decades, a fine Grammy-winning jazz saxophonist whose credits include a long stint in the Tonight Show Band; Eric Gunnison, a superb jazz pianist who lives in Denver and teaches at DU, and has accompanied many famous jazz singers, including Carmen McRae; Stacey Kent, a superb jazz singer, who moved to Aspen from England a couple of years ago.

That should keep you and your students busy for awhile . . .

Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Music of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM

11,055 posts, read 12,406,241 times
What surprises me is during all the concerts in the parks here, they play Bluegrass. It's very popular here. I never hear "cowboy music".

Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM

[quote=jim9251;28061468]What surprises me is during all the concerts in the parks here, they play Bluegrass. It's very popular here. I never hear "cowboy music".[/quote]

Unfortunately Western music, (and I don't mean Country Western, which should really be called Country Southern), sometimes referred to as "Americana" has limited appeal nowadays. I love it but one really has to go out of the way to hear it. It seems more popular amongst an aging, and often fairly cerebral, coffeehouse crowd. I can't think of any artists of that genre from Colorado. There are a number from Canada, like Ian Tyson.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What surprises me is during all the concerts in the parks here, they play Bluegrass. It's very popular here. I never hear "cowboy music".
There is a huge cultural scene around bluegrass. My two sons are bluegrass musicians. There are two major bluegrass festivals in the US every year that attract all of the major bluegrass performers in the genre today and then some.

The first is in Cumberland MD and is known as DelFest (hosted by bluegrass legend Del McCoury) and is held around Memorial day every year. The second is in Telluride and usually occurs around the 3rd week of June. In addition, every July, the the Rocky Grass bluegrass festival is held in Lyons. All three events feature clinics for aspiring musicians, contests to find new talent, and other activities.

Bluegrass has become a large active culture involving many college aged people today and seems to be slowly growing all over the country.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
I remember Ernie Watts for his sax version of Chariots of Fire. I had that album but can't find it now, it had him on the front with flames coming out of his sax. He's appearing in UT later this month.

When I think of "western" music I think of the Sons of the Pioneers or Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

When I think of "country" music I think of such greats as "I Climb up on Barstool Mountain" or "Honey Tonk Ba-Donk-a-Donk."

Went to many bluegrass shows back in the DC area, which was long a hotbed of BG music.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
When I think of "western" music I think of the Sons of the Pioneers or Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.
That's pretty old school. I'm talking about more modern Western artists like:

Tom Russell
Ian Tyson
Gretchen Peters
Don Edwards
Suzy Bogguss
Jerry Jeff Walker
Lyle Lovett
Nanci Griffith
The late John Stewart
Tish Hinojosa
Robert Mirabal
Jim Almand

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
There was a lot of "crossover" in the 1930's between jazz and Western music. Bob Wills played many jazz charts and his band was configured much the same as many jazz Swing bands. Similarly, many of the jazz Big Bands picked up Western songs and recorded them--often as big hits. Glenn Miller, a Coloradan, was one of the Swing bandleaders that did this. One of his big hits was "Along the Santa Fe Trail," a big hit for the Sons of the Pioneers. My Dad, who worked as a professional jazz instrumental musician in his younger years, would occasionally act as the band's male vocalist. One tune he sung just at just about every gig (and would sing to me when I was a toddler) was "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds." To this day, I never hear that tune that I don't get a little choked up, thinking about my late Dad.

A couple of examples:

Bob Wills playing "Hawaiian War Chant"--a tune popularized by the Tommy Dorsey jazz big band.

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys-Hawaian war chant. - YouTube

And, the aforementioned "Along the Santa Fe Trail," performed by Glenn Miller.

Glenn Miller - Along the Sante Fe Trail - YouTube

Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Really neat stuff, thanks for posting them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or