U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 AM

78 posts, read 163,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepiff View Post
So maybe Pueblo isn't the place for us. What can you tell me about Colorado Springs? Also, I'd like to know more about Albuquerque. What are the comparisons in cost of living, walkability, and beautiful scenery? Which places has more restaurants and a bigger food scene? Also, which place is more likely to fit in a budget of $800 or less?
Atta girl I think Albuquerque is cheaper but it too has high crime rate and on a way bigger scale. Just look at a map, it's only like 4 hours from Mexico so its a major drug stop. Other than crime I think it's a descend city, I have family there so I've been there a couple times. I personally wouldn't consider anything south of Castle Rock unless its in the mountains. So yes, I personally do not like Springs. Springs is mainly conservative Christians. I would consider the Denver metro, Fort Collins/Loveland, or Boulder. Boulder is very Liberal though and might be out of your price range, it's also kind of a college town. Also, someone said Greeley but they too have kind of a higher crime rate and it smells like cow **** (literally, Theres a manure plant not too far outside of town) (I live in Brighton, CO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 AM

15 posts, read 31,835 times
I almost relocated to Boulder 2 years ago. It is beautiful there, but out of our price range and there's too much snow there. I just found an awesome deal on a hotel and rental car. I think we are going to drive to ABQ in March and spend a few days checking it out. My bf was there as a younger kid and he said he loved it then. What area of town should we stay out of? We will have a car, so we will be able to drive and check it out ourselves, but any heads up would be nice.. As long as we don't drive in an area where we will be shot. What kind of crime is heavy there? Are there a lot of shootings and senseless murders? Or do the drug lords fight the drug lords and stick to their own area?

On another note, does anyone know of any specific apartment complexes that have hardwood floors or tile floors. I can't stand carpet..

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:02 AM

Actually I was just looking up some statistics and Milwaukee has a MUCH higher rate of crime than ABQ. I should've done more reading before I asked that last question.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
OP, check out the Albuquerque and New Mexico forums for info on those areas. They have some great posters there who can really contribute a lot of info and answer your questions.

FWIW, Albuquerque is the only sizable city in New Mexico, while places like Santa Fe and Taos seem to be the cities that draw the most attention and tourism. There are some awesome places in New Mexico, but for me it isn't even close to being as appealing as Colorado. I lived in Trinidad in southern Colorado when I was in high school. Southern Colorado and northern new Mexico may be the same area on the map, but it feels like a whole different world once you cross the state line.

Again I encourage you to make a trip to Colorado and New Mexico and explore the areas firsthand. You may find that your priorities change once you've seen the area in person.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Asheville is not North Carolina, it's an enclave all its own in North Carolina. I think Pueblo is a lot like much of NM, whereas Asheville is a lot like the other enclaves in the country, like Santa Fe, Berkeley, Boulder, Cambridge- people seem to make the same circuits of these towns for the same reasons. There really is no comparison.
I will concede that point since I know nothing about Asheville. Pueblo is a fusion of the southwest and Midwest as we are the most northern southwest city in the nation and have a lot of Midwestern roots with the steel mill and manufacturing base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Joss, please remember also that women have different/more security concerns than guys, gay or straight.
Everyone has some unique concerns but overall its about the same and as I always say I would never live in a city that was un safe and that includes Pueblo.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Good news everyone. We are coming there the middle of March. We are planning a week long trip to check out ABQ, Cosprings, and Pueblo! We will be driving so we will be able to check everything out. If we go there in March, that will give us plenty of time to make a final decision before August. Thanks again for all of your input. If there is anything super special in any of these places that we can't miss, please feel free to post

Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
Awesome! Be sure to let us know what you thought of the area!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
For all of my life, going back as long as I can remember over 30 years ago, Pueblo was a hole then and it's a hole now.

Not to say they haven't tried over the years and I'm sure like any place you can find redeeming features, but it's one of those places you should never move to unless you have some major compelling reason to do so, like a great job.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
...Pueblo was a hole then and it's a hole now....
Don't be such a Debbie Downer.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,945,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
This post is odd. How did you zoom in your relocation inquiry on Pueblo of all places? Pueblo has none, I repeat none of the things you are looking for in a city. Pueblo is the cheapest place to live in Colorado for a reason-- the economy there has been depressed for decades, incomes are low, crime is high-- highest crime rate in the state, actually. Outside of standard M-F 9-5 business hours, the downtown is dead. Go there on a Sunday and it is a total ghost town. No beer "scene," food "scene," or art "scene" there. Climate there-- or anywhere in Colorado-- is not what I would call mild-- rather extremes between cold and hot.

Within Colorado, you should consider Boulder or Fort Collins if you want a smaller city and Denver if you want a bigger city. Heading out to the southwest, you may be interested in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, NM or Tucson, AZ. A lot of places in northern California have pretty much what you are looking for, minus the cost of living part.
You should listen to this person. I live in Denver Metro and Pueblo looks nasty every time I drive through on I 25 south. I looks like a depressed rust belt town of a foregone era.

Don't forget Colorado Springs has a ton of students and CSU Pueblo is there so there is a good population of people that can wait table, just saying.

No joke Pueblo looks the same as many parts of Wyoming, brown and brown landscape. Why not look there, NM would be nice too and they have lower unemployment too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or