U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:11 AM

20 posts, read 95,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepiff View Post
We both work in the service industry. Lots of experience, and I've never had a problem finding a serving job. If there are people, there are restaurants and bars. I'm too ambitious and way too hard-working to be on welfare. We wouldn't be thinking about moving if we didn't have the money.
Older I get, less can tolerate cold. We moved to Pueblo West, CO from Buffalo, NY. Pueblo has some beautiful neighborhoods - you need to drive around and see. On Elizabeth Ave, there are Victorians - on the south/central area it is the historic district. Beautiful and well kept homes there, too. Also near the City Park, are some of the finest homes in the city. As far as a city, it will look like a village to you. Downtown does have some activities and the State Fair is here every August.

Pueblo West is a horse of another color - literally. The southern side is more suburbia and the northern side the building lots are all minimum of 1 acre. Horses are allowed. We have panoramic views of the mountains - all about 30-40 miles away. I think you would enjoy the big sky country...you can see forever. Much more desert than Pueblo within the city limits, very windy and dusty. Depends what you like. This area provides many lifestyle choices.

If money is an issue, check out Pueblo and Pueblo West. You could get a home at a decent price and then sell and move to the Denver area if you find it boring. Everyone does not have the same lifestyle. I am used to more but I feel extremely safe here. Great neighbors, rarely rains or snows, electric is high in summer but not outrageous. Wherever you go, beware of Propane. Natural gas is available in most of Pueblo West, but not all.

Best of luck to you in your move - you will find jobs here in your line of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 AM

8 posts, read 22,569 times
Default Walkability of Albuquerque and Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepiff View Post
So maybe Pueblo isn't the place for us. What can you tell me about Colorado Springs? Also, I'd like to know more about Albuquerque. What are the comparisons in cost of living, walkability, and beautiful scenery? Which places has more restaurants and a bigger food scene? Also, which place is more likely to fit in a budget of $800 or less?
I'm late joining this thread and you've probably already moved, but I just can't resist putting in a few words about Albuquerque and Santa Fe, NM.

Here's the thing about NM: it's the land of the car. Big distances are normal. If you don't have a car, you're a bit sunk, especially in Albuquerque. Not as much in Santa Fe.

Walking in Albuquerque (when I had no car in 2010) was a nightmare. Four reasons. 1) Residents don't expect you to be walking and will not make allowances for this even if you have right of way 2) It's boiling hot in the summer and very spread out (flat) so walking not only takes inordinate amounts of time, but it's very unpleasant if its 100 degrees 3) the buses, and this is the worst, stop running at around 6:30 pm. Yep. I didn't know this until I lived there. 4) The DUI situation in ABQ is seriously bad. I knew a driving instructor from ABQ who told me he would not drive in the city after dark--because of the drunken drivers--so walking at night becomes even more perilous.

The upside is that rents are far, far more reasonable in ABQ than in Santa Fe and there are jobs. There's a train that runs between the two cities, but everyone complains about it (as of 2013), it's hardly used, and right now it only caters to commuters, so if you're doing something late at night, forgetaboutit. I don't imagine the Rail Runner service is long for this world.

I lived in Santa Fe for several years. It's beautiful, the altitude is higher (ABQ:5000 and Santa Fe: 7000). After WI (I've also lived in Milwaukee and will be relocating at the end of this summer to Madison), you're really going to feel the altitude. You need to carry water all the time, seriously. Wear a silly hat to protect your head from the sun. Yes, it's dry heat, but don't let that fool you. It can do you in. Santa Fe has a more European feel, lots of artists. Indian Market (and this means Native Americans--a strong presence in SF) is an internationally attended event. Santa Fe means Holy Faith and it has a strong spiritual (and Catholic) core. Jobs in the service industry are everywhere. Restaurants abound and they're pricey. You have to like red or green chiles to live in Santa Fe and yes, Santa Fe spells chilis their own way because it's known as The City Different, so chiles. SF is a tourist destination for people around the world. Tips are good (except from Europeans who don't expect to have to tip--I know this from a friend who is a waiter in SF). The town is top-heavy with art galleries. There's also a serious gap between the very wealthy and very poor. (Not so much in ABQ). One reason for this is because NM is now a new Hollywood hotspot for film-making. Also it's beloved by Texans and many of them buy property in NM/SF. SF has a small town feel. This can be good and bad. It's the capital of the state so there are state jobs. Having no car, I walked alone at night in SF in the north side of town and never felt afraid and I am female. There is a taxi service in SF that can ferry you back from the grocery store (if you have no car). There's a bus system that's pretty basic. I never took it, so I can't really comment on it.

And lastly, I agree with one of the other respondents: relocating from WI to NM, this will be a culture shock. Please trust me on this. The Latino portion of the population outnumbers every other group now and if you don't speak Spanish, you need to start learning it. A lot of jobs there require you to be bilingual. There are all kinds of land issues, territorial stuff of who was there in NM first (I'm not going to go into this), and then there's also nearby (35 miles distant) Los Alamos National Laboratory of nuclear bomb fame, etc. And a question for you, weather aside, why not simply get out of Milwaukee and go to Madison? Lots of fantastic restaurants. Lots of art. Lots of brew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or