U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM

15 posts, read 31,842 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple, in our 20's who live in Milwaukee, WI right now. We have been wanting to move for quite some time as we are sick of the harsh winters here. We both grew up in WI so it's time for us to move on. We love the outdoors a lot, we love live music and art, and I'm really into fresh, local produce. I have been spending a lot of time reading hundreds of forums and looking at jobs and apartments.

We originally thought Portland or Seattle would be nice, but both of those places are a little too expensive and very far from WI.
We have recently been researching the Pueblo area of CO. We love the location, the mild climate, and of course the living expenses. I understand that some people think of Pueblo as a small city, and I know that it's just over 100K, but how small does it feel? We were going to move to Asheville, NC, but when we went there we found it was just too small with only 80k people. Has anyone who lives in Pueblo ever been to Asheville? What are the comparisons to that city?

I love that Pueblo seems to have a thriving art community. What is the restaurant scene there? We are not too big into bars, but I work in the service industry and I love fresh food and craft beer. What about the music scene too? Are there any good jazz bands around or indie/folk gigs?

I know I've read a lot about rising crime rates. What kind of crime is heavy in Pueblo? Living in Milwaukee, we are no strangers to crime. The violence seems to be taking over this city IMO. Everyone on the street is carrying a gun. Do the gangs/ violent people stick to their own streets in Pueblo or is it happening everywhere?

The last thing I want to touch on is housing. We pay 600$ right now for an awesome 1 bedroom right downtown. We can spend up to 800$ and we are looking for something bigger than a 1bdrm. I guess I'm wondering if we would have any luck finding something right downtown Pueblo? What is the walkability like?

Sorry there's a lot here, but I have a lot questions and I would love to get other people's opinion. I don't think we will have the opportunity to go there before we move, but I'm willing to take that risk if it sounds lovely enough

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-02-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
You'd better visit before you move. "Lovely" and "Pueblo" are not two words usually associated with one another by most Coloradans. As a city, I personally like Pueblo better than most of Colorado's Front Range cities, but it does have its problems, and crime rates that are fairly high for a city of its size is one of them. Its "mild" winter climate also means that it can be beastly hot (over 100) at times in summer.

Finally, nowhere in your post do I see the words "job" or "work." It's foolish, no, DAMNED foolish to move to Pueblo, or most anywhere else in Colorado without a job in hand these days. Bluntly, we don't need any more people in Colorado that wind up on unemployment or welfare--we've got way more than enough of that now.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM

We both work in the service industry. Lots of experience, and I've never had a problem finding a serving job. If there are people, there are restaurants and bars. I'm too ambitious and way too hard-working to be on welfare. We wouldn't be thinking about moving if we didn't have the money.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,681,327 times
This post is odd. How did you zoom in your relocation inquiry on Pueblo of all places? Pueblo has none, I repeat none of the things you are looking for in a city. Pueblo is the cheapest place to live in Colorado for a reason-- the economy there has been depressed for decades, incomes are low, crime is high-- highest crime rate in the state, actually. Outside of standard M-F 9-5 business hours, the downtown is dead. Go there on a Sunday and it is a total ghost town. No beer "scene," food "scene," or art "scene" there. Climate there-- or anywhere in Colorado-- is not what I would call mild-- rather extremes between cold and hot.

Within Colorado, you should consider Boulder or Fort Collins if you want a smaller city and Denver if you want a bigger city. Heading out to the southwest, you may be interested in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, NM or Tucson, AZ. A lot of places in northern California have pretty much what you are looking for, minus the cost of living part.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM

826 posts, read 1,607,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepiff View Post
Has anyone who lives in Pueblo ever been to Asheville? What are the comparisons to that city?
There are almost no comparisons. One would be hard pressed to come up with two cities less alike in almost every way. Pueblo has both colder winters and hotter summers. Ashville is humid, Pueblo is dry. Ashville is green, Pueblo is brown. Pueblo is larger, but the metropolitan area is maybe half that of Ashville's. Ashville is strongly white, Pueblo is likely soon to be majority hispanic. Median household incomes in Ashville are more than 25% higher. The percentage of people in Ashville with post high school education is twice that of Pueblo. Ashville is an education, medical, and professional center. Pueblo is largely industrial and agricultural.

To me, Pueblo feels much larger than 100,000. But that is just a subjective observation.

Come out and visit. You may love it, or you may hate it, but at least you will find out.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM

20,852 posts, read 39,085,412 times
I agree with Arrby; having been to both places they are total opposites.

The gritty, working class nature of Pueblo means that tips in the service industry are not good.

Denver Metro Area, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Golden, Fort Collins are all much better for service industry jobs. You can't afford Boulder but can live nearby.

Look at padmapper.com for rentals to see prices; Denver market is real tight now with rising rental rates.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Albuquerque sounds/looks nice. Thanks for the input everyone. I am open-minded and I love hearing peoples thoughts. The internet is a wonderful thing! We aren't looking to move until August/September, so we have plenty of time to look around still. I'm just doing the best I can while I'm sitting on my couch during this terrible cold weather.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
Quote:
Albuquerque sounds/looks nice. Thanks for the input everyone. I am open-minded and I love hearing peoples thoughts. The internet is a wonderful thing! We aren't looking to move until August/September, so we have plenty of time to look around still. I'm just doing the best I can while I'm sitting on my couch during this terrible cold weather.
Well, you could be sitting in Colorado or New Mexico enduring one of the worst droughts in decades. I'd take a little cold weather in preference to that.

As to Albuquerque, it, sadly, has some pretty serious crime issues of its own. Either Pueblo or Albuquerque would be a major culture shock for someone coming from Wisconsin. I've spent a lot of time in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico--it's way different, take my word for it.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM

13,297 posts, read 25,484,841 times
The only comparison I can think of between Pueblo and Asheville (as an outsider to both) is that they are polar opposites in almost every way. A friend of mine, sort of a classic kneejerk liberal musician was looking at Asheville for moving or for retirement or something and came back saying that it was too airy-fairy for her (similar to Portland, OR).

Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 AM

10,642 posts, read 11,039,572 times
Quote:
I understand that some people think of Pueblo as a small city, and I know that it's just over 100K, but how small does it feel?
I think that instead of "small city" a better description would be "large town" if that makes any sense. Downtown Pueblo has a lot of good things, but coming from a city like Milwaukee, you would likely find Pueblo to be lacking. I don't know a whole lot about Milwaukee (other than the city has an awesome police chief) but I would think that just based on the size difference between it and Pueblo that there is a lot more going on there. On the plus side is a fairly nice river walk area. On the down side, the area is broken up by a lot of surface lots, and as noted, only really functions during normal business hours or if there is a festival of some kind going on.

Some suggested Boulder and Fort Collins. I would add Manitou Springs, a small town on the west side of Colorado Springs. It's a pretty artsy area and is close to a moderately large city (Colorado Springs is also not going to compare to Milwaukee but it will probably hold its own better than Pueblo would). The access to Colorado's great outdoors is better from Manitou/Colorado Springs than from Pueblo.

Of course, I'm not going to try to talk you out of moving to Pueblo. It's not a horrible town, and I don't dislike it. But I do encourage you, if you decide that Colorado is the place for you, to make a trip out and go on a "front range" tour of the state. Try Boulder and Fort Collins. Try Manitou Springs. Even try Greeley for that matter. And of course, try Pueblo. But don't rule out those other places until you've visited them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or