U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
A lot of people seem to retire in Pueblo.
Pueblo definitely is the most affordable front range city, with the mildest Climate and most sunshine. If the "Big City Feel" is not something people want, then definitely choose Pueblo over Denver. I've always though Pueblo is underrated.

Although I must say Colorado Springs has always been my favorite front range city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm thinking Yuma or Burlington.

They'll love you there!!
If you prefer Eastern Colorado, Kansas or Nebraska are definitely a better choice than Colorado.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
cooler than Palm Springs is not too tough...

IF OP MUST come to Colorado (kinda of sexy for CA folks to do so...)
then Loveland or Berthoud for decent climate and NOT TOO cold (montrose...)

IF OP can consider other options, AZ and NM have many climate options that are gonna be better for a CA person.

If OP can do rain, then OR and WA (and NoCA) have MANY great options for being moderate climate.

Colorado would be VERY drastic change from Desert CA.

Better 'try-it-out' before selling / buying the farm.

I personally would try Prescott, or Flagstaff, AZ first. Williams, AZ is quite nice too.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:03 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,245,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I personally would try Prescott, or Flagstaff, AZ first. Williams, AZ is quite nice too.
Totally agree with Prescott. Might have a few cold winter days, but is generally warmer than the Front Range, and cooler in the summer. I have spent quite a bit of time working in Prescott (am here right now) and have grown to really enjoy the town. Flag and Williams are too cold.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

IF OP MUST come to Colorado (kinda of sexy for CA folks to do so...)
then Loveland or Berthoud for decent climate and NOT TOO cold (montrose...)

IF OP can consider other options, AZ and NM have many climate options that are gonna be better for a CA person.

If OP can do rain, then OR and WA (and NoCA) have MANY great options for being moderate climate.

Colorado would be VERY drastic change from Desert CA.

Better 'try-it-out' before selling / buying the farm.

Flagstaff, AZ is actually snowier than Denver, with overall colder winters! I love the place though!

Only far southern NM is a noticeably milder climate than CO. Albuquerque and Santa Fe have climates similar to Denver and Colorado Springs. Albuquerque just gets 1/6 of the snow Denver does but the overall temps and precipitation are the same season to season (anyone not narrow minded who's lived in Denver knows the truth about the winters). Check out climate data for Denver and Albuquerque and you'll see!! In fact some years Albuquerque gets a frost before Denver does, this doesn't really mean anything but it helps understand the similarity of the two climates.

Anyway I agree with you though that Southern NM and 80% of AZ are much more similar to Southern CA than Colorado is. If you can deal with the constantly brutal hot summer temps in Phoenix or Tucson, Arizona is a very nice place to live. NM is also a nice place. Plus both states have a cheaper overall cost of living!!!

The winter monthly temps in the major cities of the PNW are similar to Denver, but of course they don't have 20 or so days in the winter where snow falls or temps drop pretty low, but this is just 10 to 15% of the time in Colorado winters, and winters in Colorado are much sunnier than the PNW, and a 45 degree day in Seattle with humidity and overcast will feel colder than the dry climate of Denver on a 25 degree day with the powerful sunshine at 5,000+ feet. 20 degree highs in winter in Denver make up only 10 to 15% of the season though. From simply a standpoint of snow and winter weather though I agree the PNW is much milder than CO. Summers in the PNW are also GREAT, not too hot and usually sunny!

If the OP just hates any amount of snow you're correct that CO is a bad choice.

The sunny climate of CO, NM, and AZ is much more relatable to Southern CA, but the lack of snowy winters in AZ, WA, and OR is also more relatable to Southern CA.

Any choice is a good one. All of these states are exceedingly beautiful!

Last edited by JMM64; 02-04-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM

178 posts, read 488,379 times
What about Susanville, California? I actually considered living there myself at one time. Not too hot...not too cold and Reno, Nevada isn't too far for big city shopping. I lived in Flagstaff/Prescott for many years and Prescott is also an excellent climate. Canon City, Colorado also has possibly the mildest climate in Colorado and is close to Pueblo and the Springs. I would definitely recommend a visit to Canon City and take a walk along the Arkansas River between 9th and 15th street.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
What about Susanville, California? I actually considered living there myself at one time. Not too hot...not too cold and Reno, Nevada isn't too far for big city shopping. I lived in Flagstaff/Prescott for many years and Prescott is also an excellent climate. Canon City, Colorado also has possibly the mildest climate in Colorado and is close to Pueblo and the Springs. I would definitely recommend a visit to Canon City and take a walk along the Arkansas River between 9th and 15th street.
Good point!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Grand Junction, Montrose, & Delta are located in a zone of extreme temperature swings from winter to summer. Very cold winters, and very hot summers with even less precipatation, compared to the more moderate climate of the front range population belt.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM

18 posts, read 29,560 times
I have lived in the Palm Springs and I have lived in the front range of CO.

Answer Davebarnes Q's (repeated below) and we will try to help.

How old are you?
What are your needs (now and in the future) for hospitals?
Desired population of CO city/town?
What are feelings about snow?
How much do you want to spend on rent/purchase?
¿Habla Español?
What do you think about Summer in Phoenix?

Also, be advised that saying "I want to move to CO" is like saying "I want to move to CA"--with the caveat of removing the ocean-front/ocean-close possibility. There are:
mountains
plains
foothills
wet, dry, windy, stormy
towns of every size & income level.

One thing to think about as a senior is health care.
The reality is that there is exactly one teaching hospital in CO, in Aurora (U of CO)
Even in Palm Springs, CA you are only 1 hr away from Loma Linda Med School and 2 hrs away from some of the other finest Med schools in the country.

As far as cold...even in the front range you are going to see at least 1 wk/yr of sub-freezing day time temps. Probably 5-10 days of practically impassable roads in the city due to snow, more in the country. No big deal--you know a storm is coming and go to the store in advance--but it does take an attitude adjust for a Californian used to only having putting your shoes on to go outside any time of year.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
The OP appears to be a one-post wonder. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or