U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,157 times

Advertisements

I am making the move to Rifle, CO from Detroit, MI. I had a couple questions on somethings. Apartments and Prices and where to look. Should I rent a house compared to a Apart. Cell phones and good services I should look into before coming out. How are the over all people in Rifle? Parachute, New Castle the western part? I look forward to your feedback thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 AM

643 posts, read 2,165,592 times
Rifle is supposed to be a nice small town that is in driving distance to Aspen. People do drive in and catch the town bus into Aspen for work and such. Its small ... and a world away from Detroit but I couldnt imagine you not liking it.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 21,363 times
Default Rifle and Grand Valley info

I lived in the grand valley and rent is sky high! Expect $1000 to be average rent on a house. There are apartments in Battlement Mesa and Parachute as well but, since the boom is on, I'm sure availability would be an issue. Cell service is a joke! As long as you stay on I-70 between New Castle and Rifle service is ok. DeBeque is kinda reasonable for housing is you can handle the mosquitos. Summers are blazing hot and stays warm into late fall. You are in the right industry to make money in the valley. Oil is king there. Good luck

Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 PM

What happens to the area now? Where will they be drilling at? Im wondering how far the oil field/s would be from Silt or Rifle.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 9,826 times
I lived in Rifle,Colorado for many years,but I don't know where the oil fields are.When I moved away from Rifle in 1965,the population was less than 3,000.It has grown a lot since,but I'm not sure what the population is now.I always thought Rifle was a pretty nice place to live,especially if you like small town living.My parents are buried there at the Moose Cemetary,and my little sister is buried nearby at Rose Hill Cemetary.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

2,153 posts, read 6,291,695 times
Default Gas Exploration Near Rifle

You all might be interested in this article about ExxonMobil's plans in the area:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/energy/article/0,2777,DRMN_23914_4798945,00.html (broken link)

Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,275 times
If you work for Schlumberger. They have opening in Fort Morgan and I think you will be happier with the hours and people you work with. Rifle is hard to work in because of the lay of the land. Fort Morgan is the plains. No Mountains to try to get over. Fort Morgan use to have to cover that area. The guys hated it. Grease jobs. Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM

After reading that article I can see why people are unsure of the whole situation. I would think the community legally should be able to have a representative go on the site and look at what is being done. It is odd. But when I talked to a realtor near thhere they said Rifle is going up in price, with the people from the gas companies coming & building expensive houses. Why would they build themselves houses there if it was short term ... they are staying so they must know this is a long term & profitable. What do you guys think about it?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 AM

7 posts, read 41,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren_99 View Post
I am making the move to Rifle, CO from Detroit, MI. I had a couple questions on somethings. Apartments and Prices and where to look. Should I rent a house compared to a Apart. Cell phones and good services I should look into before coming out. How are the over all people in Rifle? Parachute, New Castle the western part? I look forward to your feedback thanks.
I was just back there in Silt. Housing is very thight, virtually none to rent. Housing is increasing in value above the National rates even now. I have owned ranch land south of Silt for many years. My taxis are very LOW. The climate is very nice compared to Detroit! If you like the mountains, outdoors, resort towns, it's a nice place. I plan on selling my home here in New Buffalo, Mi. and retiring in Silt on my land, but I bought the land 26 years ago! I have irrigation, county road frontage and 6 miles from Silt. Glenwood Springs has the Hot Springs pool, Ski Sunlight and very nice but expensive property. As they say in Aspen, "the billionares are chasing the millionares out of town" and they are moving towards Silt and Rifle. When seeking a job there the first question is,"do you have housing??"

Ft. Morgan is out in the planes, no comparison to Silt area, totally different living and climate.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:57 PM

592 posts, read 1,924,805 times
I lived in Rifle for two years and Parachute for two years. I loved it. It is in a boom cycle right now so they are having growing pains. Housing will be your biggest problem. A few years ago when the drilling boom started they were drilling ,literally, in peoples back yards. Lots of hard feelings about that. The companies built tons of roads all over and the dust clouds were terrible. Lots of trouble messing up the aquifers too. One guys creek actually started on fire due to the gas coming up after a well was drilled ! Most of the drilling was between Rifle and Parachute but they are also starting to drill all over the mountain country too. Lots of work there, just hope it lasts this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado