U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM

163 posts, read 334,407 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Colorado in a few months via Jacksonville Florida, so at moment I'm planning on the scenic route going I-10 all way to AZ & NM and look around there a bit before bulldozing into Colorado.

FYI on myself: A disabled Veteran who suffered a head and spinal cord injury as a combat medic. The altitude and weather dryness of Colorado allows for a night and day diff in my medical condition to the point I"m almost pain free.

Road Trip things needed or not? I'm thinking MRE's, mattress pad for back of car hatch back, thick throw blanket, sleep bag, hammock, cargo netting, Window Visors, Shotgun, 2 backpacks (1 for day hike, other for longer hike) mesh clothes bag, AAA, First Aid Kit, 2 types flash lights 1st typical flashlight, then fog or spot light, batteries, Utility knives, hatchet, machette, fire starter, signal mirror, flares (road & emergency), gallon 1/2 gallon freezer zip locks, small/large cooler? Walmart bags, bear/pepper spray. 1wks clothing, winter clothing. Anything I'm missing?

If so

Wanting to find out from those who've done a long road trip like this if I"m in over kill and could cut down above list?

Also my largest question is where are some must see area, I'm big on rivers, hot springs, tubing, whitewater rafting (never done wanting to try). Any insight would be great. Also areas to avoid.

I'm doing this on a fixed budget so Ill need to stay and free or real cheap sites, my military disability gets me into National Parks free.

Thanks for help!

Chance
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 PM

11,040 posts, read 12,386,651 times
Where in Colorado? I always carry a survival type bag in the trunk because you just never know, and in the mountains and passes cell phone service is sporadic at best. Have fun.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,184,425 times
Quote:
Rivers, hot springs and whitewater rafting
Sounds like the Arkansas River Valley, Salida to Leadville. Lots of free camping.
You did not say when? April and even May are a little early for whitewater with cold wet still possible in the mountains. June is best whitewater month and is much dryer. Areas to avoid: anything east of I-25.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Sounds like the Arkansas River Valley, Salida to Leadville. Lots of free camping.
You did not say when? April and even May are a little early for whitewater with cold wet still possible in the mountains. June is best whitewater month and is much dryer. Areas to avoid: anything east of I-25.
Yeah June is roughly time frame Ive been thinking about. I fig winter would linger in
Higher elevations, I was hoping for spring like weather before I come back down to front range

Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,248,619 times
Areas to AVOID!!= Aspen, Vail, Front Range!! Too many tourists!!!

I would reccomend the Glenwood Springs area (hot springs, caverns, and Hanging Lake) and south-westish through the roaring fork valley to Gunnison and Montrose (drive through Kebler Pass, raft the Roaring Fork or Gunnison rivers, and see Black Canyon of the Gunnison), and then south to the San Juan Mountains (Drive the San Juan Skyway, and check out everthing else there is to do there it's incredible). In June there won't be much snow in the majority of these areas below 9,000ft, Plan at least 4 days to do this!

All these areas offer campsites and plenty of small towns to stop along the way. If you camp then there are many places that are no charge, just don't expect a bathroom. Gas and food will be your only expenses I assume.

Have Fun with whatever you decide!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,443,219 times
The thickest memory foam works great for a mattress. A hand trowel is handy for pitstop holes. A pocketrocket-type backpacking stove & small pot for cooking canned goods,better than MREs IMHO. Boondocking at trailheads usually works well unless otherwise marked.

Thanks for serving, sorry about injury. Sounds like a marvelous trip!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,443,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Anything I'm missing?
Just BEER

Seriously, it sounds like you know your 'ten essentials' plus some. You'll be fine. BTW you don't need bear spray in CO. Hippie-spray, maybe

Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Just BEER

Seriously, it sounds like you know your 'ten essentials' plus some. You'll be fine. BTW you don't need bear spray in CO. Hippie-spray, maybe
Nice real nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or