U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,903,196 times

Advertisements

Soul Searcher, I commend you for your strength to handle all what you've been through as well as your enthusiam and determination for finding a new place to call home.

(I am originally from CA (Bay Area and LA)and, until recently, lived in the Denver-metro for 13 years.)

As for CA compared with CO -- leaving the political stuff to other posters -- they are similar, sometimes, in feeling and occasionally in their people, in contrast to other parts of this country, but not as simiar as many (and the media) make it out to be. People in CO are friendly, in general, friendlier than Californians (not southern-type over-the-top friendliness of course) but can sometimes also be categorized as a smidge standoffish. If you search the forums you will see this discussed from time to time. I don't place a lot of stock in this as it was not really my experience since once I made friends it really didn't matter because I had built meaningful relationships.

After learning a bit about you, four areas jump out to me, all of which have hit various "best places to live" lists:

Fort Collins, CO
Boise, ID
Kallispell, MT (or maybe Missoula or Bozeman)
Portland, OR or other parts of OR (if you can stand the rain)

I second what another poster said -- take a road trip and try on a few towns for size.

Good luck to you. You deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,198,316 times
I'm curious as to how the recent changes to Colorado laws will affect the states image as a place to live. Most people are not directly impacted by same sex marriage or recreational marijuana use unless they want to be, but the alimony law and gun control laws (if passed as expected) can't be avoided. I, for example, own guns that will be illegal to bring into Colorado under the proposed laws. That is causing me to re-consider my plan of retiring in Colorado, and I wonder how many others are having second thoughts?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 791 times
I am from the west coast and currently reside in Grand Junction...all I can say.is I can't wait to.escape this place. It's an economically depressed town and there is very little to do. High cost of living and low wages make it even worse. Think long and hard before moving here.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM

1,598 posts, read 2,749,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover259 View Post
I am from the west coast and currently reside in Grand Junction...all I can say.is I can't wait to.escape this place. It's an economically depressed town and there is very little to do. High cost of living and low wages make it even worse. Think long and hard before moving here.
I'd gladly pay for a one way bus ticket out of here for you.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
motoracer51 wrote: I'd gladly pay for a one way bus ticket out of here for you.

Yeah, that'll give him something to DO for a few hours!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM

493 posts, read 701,760 times
soul, i would echo the sentiment that you seem to be coping pretty well, given the psychic and physical blows you've weathered. whatever you're doing is working. in fact, you might consider contacting vet groups or trauma groups just to help others, which could be beneficial to you too. you might fit right into the so-called colorado attitude with your military background. i don't know the percentage of vets here, but it's probably high (take it as a pun if you wish).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or