Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Many people, like Jazz said, come here without employment, thinking it's some grand mecca to live in, few realize that if you come here, you're pretty much stuck living somewhere on the Front Range, and the job market is super competitive.
Ryanek9freak is right, the employers are calling the shots here-and a half. The figures I saw on Grand Junction's CBS affiliate, KREX, is that Colorado's unemployment for January dropped from 8% to 7.9%. And where I live in Mesa County the unemployment rate comes in at 9%. My own experience regarding Colorado recessions is that when the country falls into a recession, Colorado is the last one in and the last one out. And regards to Colorado in general Mesa County falls into that same classification. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 06:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
The Springs is getting kinda hard. Used to be in my field, I could quit one day and find another job the next, those days are gone.

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic, and my career is tied heavily to new home construction. I just recently found a job after being out of work for over a month, and I practically had to get on my knees and beg for it.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Ryanek9freak is right, the employers are calling the shots here-and a half. The figures I saw on Grand Junction's CBS affiliate, KREX, is that Colorado's unemployment for January dropped from 8% to 7.9%. And where I live in Mesa County the unemployment rate comes in at 9%. My own experience regarding Colorado recessions is that when the country falls into a recession, Colorado is the last one in and the last one out. And regards to Colorado in general Mesa County falls into that same classification. Just my opinion.
I feel for you. There are far fewer employers in Western Colorado than Denver Metro or the Springs.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Because it is far easier to 'live off the dole' here. Unemployment statistics only count people who have applied for unemployment insurance. I would assume many unemployed people in WY and NE aren't collecting anything..
the unemployment rate is not calculated by the people who are filing for unemployment, it is a common falicy but not true, it is calculated based on a survey/

How the Government Measures Unemployment

Fact is Colorado is always going to be behind the rest of the countries economy with their dependence on tourism, especially with the constant attacks on the oil & gas industries and the lack of water directly affecting agricultural land so much. Fact is the Colorado tried to go after the IT industry and did ok for awhile but as more areas went after that, and outsourcing became more common that industry collapsed as did the telecom industry. Until Colorado figures out some new industries or makes their rules more bearable the state is going to continue to struggle, you cannot expect anything different when your state seems happy being a glorified vacation spot.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Uh... "F.I.R.E. economy?"
Federal
I...?
Retirees
E...??

Is E real estate?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Uh... "F.I.R.E. economy?"
Federal
I...?
Retirees
E...??

Is E real estate?
Finance, Insurance, Real Estate.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Aha, thank you.
Where I live, the booming sector is creating new life forms (biotech).
Do Finance and Insurance refer to national centers for national companies, corporate HQ and so on? Or is Finance crazy sub-prime-basement loans for said real estate?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Aha, thank you.
Or is Finance crazy sub-prime-basement loans for said real estate?
Yup. Plenty of which is now in foreclosure.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM

The Ouray-Ridgway newspaper (which I get here in Mass.) advertises "R&R Ranch," said ranch being 27 acres with, among other buildings, a 15,000 sq.ft. "house" built in 2007 "has never been lived in." Full frontal log prow with three stories of windows, just that homey kinda feel we all want. Apparently great views from everywhere. Was listed as originally at over $9 million, now opening bid $2.7 million.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Come for the purple mountains majesty...

...stay for the unemployment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado