Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 05:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Colorado license plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle. There are plates still valid from the early 1980's. That is why the two-letter, 1 to 4 character numeric can not be reused at this point. Same with the three alpha-three numeric format and the 1-4 numeric character-2 alpha format. Colorado also issued three alpha-four numeric plates for awhile. Some one alpha, multi-mumeric plates were issued for special purpose plates (trailers, etc.). So, the state was left with the three numeric-3 alpha combinations. For all of those plates, Colorado would not issue plates with "I", "O" ("O" not zero), or "Q" because law enforcement (correctly) believed that those letters would be easily misread. Law enforcement also opposed the idea of going to a 7 character license plate--those were issued in a Colorado series several years ago and were hated enough by law enforcement that the 7 character idea was retired, though there are still 7-character plates in circulation.

Several years ago, Colorado license officials realized that Colorado was going to run out of plate numbers in the current 3 numeric-3 alpha system and proposed a retirement of all old Colorado plates and issuance of new plates when they came up for annual renewal. Fine and dandy, except the Colorado Legislature refused to appropriate the several million dollars necessary to do it. The use of I, Q, and O was a last ditch effort to kick the can down the road for a year or two until funding could be secured to do a complete new plate issue. Interestingly, Colorado has the money to have over 150 specialty license plate graphics (which law enforcement hates because Colorado specialty plates are no longer readily recognizable as Colorado plates in many cases), but it doesn't have the money to make an issue of plainly readable, easily identified license plates. Another example of Colorado's absolutely moronic state bureaucracy.

A state that does it right is Wyoming. Wyoming does a general plate re-issue every 7-10 years. Their plates are distinctive, easily read, county coded, and Wyoming has thoroughly resisted the fad of having umpteen different graphics on their plates for specialty use. Their only requirement, coded in state law, is that the cowboy on the bucking bronco logo (a trademarked logo owned by the State of Wyoming and nicknamed "Cowboy Joe") must appear the license plate. Thus, there is no doubt when one sees a Wyoming plate on a vehicle. Another example of Wyoming common sense vs. Colorado silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:43 PM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
::musing out loud:: The plates I were issued when I moved here in 1998 were 7-digits, I remember that. My current plates (issued in 2007) are the 123 ABC format, and the letter 'O' shows up in it.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
::musing out loud:: The plates I were issued when I moved here in 1998 were 7-digits, I remember that. My current plates (issued in 2007) are the 123 ABC format, and the letter 'O' shows up in it.
Yep. "Q" was the last "holdout" letter; I believe Colorado started using it in the last 6 months or so. When I left Colorado, I was glad to ditch my Colorado plates, along with the high costs of registration, even for older vehicles.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Colorado license plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle. There are plates still valid from the early 1980's. That is why the two-letter, 1 to 4 character numeric can not be reused at this point. Same with the three alpha-three numeric format and the 1-4 numeric character-2 alpha format. Colorado also issued three alpha-four numeric plates for awhile. Some one alpha, multi-mumeric plates were issued for special purpose plates (trailers, etc.). So, the state was left with the three numeric-3 alpha combinations. For all of those plates, Colorado would not issue plates with "I", "O" ("O" not zero), or "Q" because law enforcement (correctly) believed that those letters would be easily misread. Law enforcement also opposed the idea of going to a 7 character license plate--those were issued in a Colorado series several years ago and were hated enough by law enforcement that the 7 character idea was retired, though there are still 7-character plates in circulation.

Several years ago, Colorado license officials realized that Colorado was going to run out of plate numbers in the current 3 numeric-3 alpha system and proposed a retirement of all old Colorado plates and issuance of new plates when they came up for annual renewal. Fine and dandy, except the Colorado Legislature refused to appropriate the several million dollars necessary to do it. The use of I, Q, and O was a last ditch effort to kick the can down the road for a year or two until funding could be secured to do a complete new plate issue. Interestingly, Colorado has the money to have over 150 specialty license plate graphics (which law enforcement hates because Colorado specialty plates are no longer readily recognizable as Colorado plates in many cases), but it doesn't have the money to make an issue of plainly readable, easily identified license plates. Another example of Colorado's absolutely moronic state bureaucracy.

A state that does it right is Wyoming. Wyoming does a general plate re-issue every 7-10 years. Their plates are distinctive, easily read, county coded, and Wyoming has thoroughly resisted the fad of having umpteen different graphics on their plates for specialty use. Their only requirement, coded in state law, is that the cowboy on the bucking bronco logo (a trademarked logo owned by the State of Wyoming and nicknamed "Cowboy Joe") must appear the license plate. Thus, there is no doubt when one sees a Wyoming plate on a vehicle. Another example of Wyoming common sense vs. Colorado silliness.
I agree with the stupidity of all the specialty plates. They're hideous. CO should stick with the white base plates... they look nice and are easy to read. I would imagine it's a lot cheaper/easier to do total re-issues of plates in WY due to the low population though.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM

I saw a new specialty plate yesterday that was in the new ABC-123 configuration. Except that the first letter was a Q. It was something like QAR-123. What that tells me is that they're either still trying to figure out how to skip all the old ABC-123 plates that are still out on the road, or that they're recalling all the old ABC-123 plates that are still on the road. Since there are no old ABC-123 plates with the letter Q, they can go ahead and start with Q (rather than the logical A) to buy more time, or to replace the old ABC-123 plates.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I saw a new specialty plate yesterday that was in the new ABC-123 configuration. Except that the first letter was a Q. It was something like QAR-123. What that tells me is that they're either still trying to figure out how to skip all the old ABC-123 plates that are still out on the road, or that they're recalling all the old ABC-123 plates that are still on the road. Since there are no old ABC-123 plates with the letter Q, they can go ahead and start with Q (rather than the logical A) to buy more time, or to replace the old ABC-123 plates.
Yeah, I'm sure they are still doing the "fill-in" trip, trying to kick the can down the road when the state will have to fund a new issue of license plates. Just another thing that Colorado really doesn't have the money to do, thanks to endless government subsidizing of growth combined with Colorado's Constitutional taxing and spending restrictions.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Google Image Result for http://www.aaroads.com/license_plates/images/co-825-fjf.jpg

I like the old green and white plates but this one is prettier.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Google Image Result for http://www.aaroads.com/license_plates/images/co-825-fjf.jpg

I agree! And it doesn't seem hard to read.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Just got plates for my new car last month XXX-QQZ. Think we've about reached the end of the series.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post

Eh... I still prefer the standard white plates. This (link) is the "alternative base plate" that they charge you extra for. In other words, another way to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado