U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,945,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
MR516 wrote: I'm actually finding lots of jobs, but having a hard time getting them to interview/hire someone from out of state. I have never applied for jobs before in a different state so I'm not sure if this is a Colorado thing, or just part of looking for jobs in another state.

Based on my own experience, I would say that it's an everywhere thing, more pronounced during tight economic times and less so when the economy is booming.
From my experience with so many candidates, out of area candidates are ignored, unless you are at the C level or have some work skill no one else has. I applied everywhere, in the last 3 years, incl before and after my 11 month stint at high tech co in downtown before layoff, and I never got one response from an out of area job, except for So Cal where I grew up. The exception seems to be ND where there is no unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:38 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
Colorado xxxxx wrote: The exception seems to be ND where there is no unemployment.

But if you do land a job in ND, where do you live? I've read that the housing situation is rather tight!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,945,641 times
Quote:
Colorado xxxxx wrote: The exception seems to be ND where there is no unemployment.

But if you do land a job in ND, where do you live? I've read that the housing situation is rather tight!
Well check the ND forum or Work and Employment, but I think many live in camps and in the camper trucks. I am not that desperate yet, I have some savings. I don't think I could handle -30F in winter, it's not near that damn cold here, -4 overnight a week ago but today 62F

Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM

^^^^^I did the camp thing 35 to 40 years ago when I was planting trees on Vancouver Island British Colombia. But that was a much warmer climate. Kinda wet, but the temp never went below freezing during the spring planting season. That lifestyle was enjoyable as a 20 something, but it lost it's appeal many years ago.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 PM

493 posts, read 701,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR516 View Post
Hi all I currently live in Louisiana and really want to move to Colorado. Of course the newest laws in Colorado has some to do with it, but I am also ready to have four seasons again and not live in the swamp. We have a one month old baby and 2 dogs so of course family/dog friendly would be nice as well. I am trying to find out the city/cities with the friendliest marijuana laws, but of course I will also need a job too. A friend (another friend who wants to move there as well, not my wife) and I are thinking of driving there form LA for a week or so to check things out, but don't want to waste time looking in the wrong cities/towns. What places would you recommend that we check out in our very short visit?
I'm doing much the same thing, except I'm retired on a decent fixed income with medicare. coming from flatland heat/humidity (six month summer) prohibition to mile-high (or higher) climate to enjoy some cannabis with my retirement . I've followed all the A64 task force meetings, watched the Denver Post Marijuana Forum, and browsed web sites for CO counties, cities, and towns. it seems to me that the most logical places to settle will be localities with current mmj dispensaries. those places have already adjusted their ordinances, set up licensing operations, and established community (and law enforcement) attitudes. the mmj shops will be first in line for recreational licenses, too. a few counties and towns have established outright bans, but most seem to just be setting temporary moratoriums until the probably statutes, taxes, and licensing mechanisms are in place and the feds' response has been heard (or not, if the feds wait for the first shops to open in 2014). only a few, like Nederland, are actually getting ahead of the game.

i sympathize with anybody trying to find a decent job these days. i sincerely hope you grab anything you can for now, then follow the self-employment dream. i would suggest the Pueblo area might be the best long-term economic growth opportunity with currently affordable housing. unfortunately, the city does not allow mmj and the sheriff's attitude does not seem amenable to mj in any form. however, Pueblo West and Canon City do have mmj and seem more progressive. Colo Springs is a boom-town within commuting distance and will likely bounce back quickly out of recession to offer short-term employment, as long as Ft. Carson does ok with the sequester. CS is probably unrecognizable from when I was stationed there in the 70's, but the cannabis seems to flowing freely, just like the old days.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM

in addition, i would certainly avoid the eastern and northern CO socially conservative areas - at least from the cannabis perspective. can't hazard a guess yet about their economic outlooks. you could also look up the county-wide votes on A64 and focus on those with the highest approval counts.

as a likely new resident, i look forward to voting in future elections to solidify legality and help to establish responsible cannabis use (vap's, edibles, and careful driving). i sincerely hope the state senate does not approve the 5 nanogram dui statute. it looks to be an arbitrary test without supporting research.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:45 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
i sincerely hope the state senate does not approve the 5 nanogram dui statute. it looks to be an arbitrary test without supporting research.
That is one of the residual effects of legalization. The anti's want to do anything they can to "punish" those who choose to consume cannabis. Since they can no longer arrest them for use or possession, they want to enact standards that are political rather than scientifically based. The existence of cannabis metabolites in the urine, hair, and body fat are indicators of past use, nothing more. Could be weeks ago dependent upon the amount consumed or could be days or hours ago. Instead of focusing on actual THC levels in the bloodstream, the only true indicator of intoxication as obtained via blood draw, they want the easy way out so they can still punish those using what they consider an unpopular & still illegal drug in their mind.

It will take some time for the authors of the laws to catch up with all of this when they see that the sky doesn't fall and communities don't turn into zombie infested dens of sin simply because of a personal choice made by those who choose to consume.

Testing for intoxication while operating a motor vehicle is a necessary component of any scheme for the regulation of any intoxicating substance. It should however be fact & science based, not a half baked scheme that in essence incriminates those who have consumed the substance days ago & are no longer intoxicated.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM

SoButCountry wrote: Testing for intoxication while operating a motor vehicle is a necessary component of any scheme for the regulation of any intoxicating substance. It should however be fact & science based, not a half baked scheme that in essence incriminates those who have consumed the substance days ago & are no longer intoxicated.

A more meaningful test would be performance based. Insisting that X amount of any substance ( alcohol or MJ ) is intoxication is mostly BS that applies to some but not all people. Let's face it, there are some people who are better drivers at a low level of legal intoxication than many drivers with absolutely no intoxicants in their system. Let's get the dangerous drivers off the road, intoxicated or not.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
SoButCountry wrote: Testing for intoxication while operating a motor vehicle is a necessary component of any scheme for the regulation of any intoxicating substance. It should however be fact & science based, not a half baked scheme that in essence incriminates those who have consumed the substance days ago & are no longer intoxicated.

A more meaningful test would be performance based. Insisting that X amount of any substance ( alcohol or MJ ) is intoxication is mostly BS that applies to some but not all people. Let's face it, there are some people who are better drivers at a low level of legal intoxication than many drivers with absolutely no intoxicants in their system. Let's get the dangerous drivers off the road, intoxicated or not.
I agree with you CW, however from the pragmatic point of view, establishing a limit & testing for it is the only objective way to measure intoxication. How do you test somebody for performance when they're pulled over on the side of the road? Driving test?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
I agree with you CW, however from the pragmatic point of view, establishing a limit & testing for it is the only objective way to measure intoxication. How do you test somebody for performance when they're pulled over on the side of the road? Driving test?
seems like the old sobriety test would be good enough.
walk a straight line, stand on one foot and touch your nose, etc.
of course, i can barely do those things sober and straight.
as a 62-year-old, i already drive slower than most of the traffic
and might be profiled for that.
a lot of us might change to bus and taxi, so we can toke instead.
a toke followed by a snack in the front porch rocker gazing at the
scenery, then a nap. that's one way to retire comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or