U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM

25 posts, read 149,276 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on having to drive that far for more than a few years, hoping to be able to start working for myself within 5 years of moving to CO. I have 2 Jetta TDI's that get 40+ MPG so fuel costs would not be that bad. You are right the drive would suck, but to get a decent amount of land at a good price you got to do whatever it takes. Once I move to CO I have no plans of ever moving again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM

20,831 posts, read 39,036,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR516 View Post
Anyone know much about Peyton and the surrounding area? I've just noticed there are places for sale there with a good amount of land 40+ acres for fairly cheap. Is the land there horrible for anything as far as living/growing even lawn grass? Just trying to figure out why things there are so cheap. I doubt I would find a job there, but I have no problem driving up to 2 hours one way to get to work. As far as MJ goes I know it is in a county that has the 2nd most medical grows in the state. It is a good ways from Nederland, but from what I have seen much cheaper to live there.
My apologies for misleading you with my post, it was meant for another thread.

There isn't much out in Peyton, it's dry prairie, few if any jobs. The land is horrible for anything due to lack of water, so not much grows, and the wind can be very strong. You need 40 acres out there to support the well you'll have to pay thousands to drill. Forget that I even mentioned Peyton, I was posting that for another person in another thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 AM

493 posts, read 701,530 times
if the water problem could be solved, though, 40 acres in the right county is enough to start a new town devoted to cannabis - the 21st century industry!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:35 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,119 times
I just drove through Peyton on Monday morning heading from Colo Spgs to I-70 headed back east to western PA (1437 miles, 22 hrs). Yep, not much out there on those plains for sure. Felt kinda' like a "high plains drifter" pushing my big Tundra along eastward with nothing but rollling hills & open horizon ahead.

Not as "boonies" as many other areas in CO, but still out there away from civilization for sure. Hopefully, the civilization there is hospitable because I'm sure you'll be noticed as an outsider.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My apologies for misleading you with my post, it was meant for another thread.

There isn't much out in Peyton, it's dry prairie, few if any jobs. The land is horrible for anything due to lack of water, so not much grows, and the wind can be very strong. You need 40 acres out there to support the well you'll have to pay thousands to drill. Forget that I even mentioned Peyton, I was posting that for another person in another thread.
Actually I had just been doing some research that day and happen to see how cheap houses/land were in the Peyton area as compared to other places. You just happen to have posted about Peyton @ the same time I came to ask about it.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
if the water problem could be solved, though, 40 acres in the right county is enough to start a new town devoted to cannabis - the 21st century industry!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrus View Post
Turns out there is nice little model for this sort of thing. Garden City http://www.city-data.com/city/Garden-City-Colorado.html
on the outskirts of Greeley. a 10 acre tiny town set up "wet" in 1938 after liquor prohibition ended. now has mmj shops and seems to be looking forward to recreational cannabis. might be a DUI gauntlet to run into/outof it.
probably best to avoid Greeley. Ft Collins 33 mi away probably ok, after voters repealed mmj prohibition. it might appreciate some newcomer growth.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,664,754 times
As I understand it towns can opt out of A64 and I heard that Co Springs is trying to do just that. This is hearsay so do your own DD. Jobs? Become a potrepeneur. Business is booming. But you know what they say about pioneers.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
As I understand it towns can opt out of A64 and I heard that Co Springs is trying to do just that. This is hearsay so do your own DD. Jobs? Become a potrepeneur. Business is booming. But you know what they say about pioneers.
That is what I want to do, but I still have to have a job to pay bills while I get started. Wife, kid, and 2 dogs that I have to house/feed while I get things going.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM

from the looks of the denver post classified ads, there are plenty of network admin openings in the denver area. it should be possible to find generally affordable family housing there, if you're careful about the neighborhoods. its centrally located for "base camp", while you adjust to the altitude and get to know the front range and the land. if you're just making a quick visit, it might be best to focus there to learn the city. maybe make a few cold calls around town to pick up job applic. keep eyes open for all opportunities. bring a suit just in case.

think hard about doing network contracting/consulting. good wages for go-getters and some independence in assignments. your TS clearance gives you a leg up on the competition. nice transition to owning your own business. many companies will hire temp contractors w/o benefits to see if they are good enough to take on as employees w/benefits. you can shop around to buy health insurance on your own. more importantly, you have a chance to see if it is a company you want to work for. the growth in colorado will be accompanied by a growth in networking that won't slow down for a long time. consulting/contracting companies are used to hiring temps from around the country. some may offer group insurance plans. clients may still want drug tests, but maybe not so many and maybe more lenient on the results, if they need your skills. so polish that resume, get out there, and have fun with it! just take it easy in the altitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or