U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionofmali View Post
...Anyone else have any thoughts?
You're only young once, pull the trigger on it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You're only young once, pull the trigger on it.
Great choice of words of advice. "Ready, fire, aim."

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Great choice of words of advice. "Ready, fire, aim."
Yep, it's just that easy. Plan, budget, go. Thanks for helping him.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep, it's just that easy. Plan, budget, go. Thanks for helping him.
I don't think you read the sequence that I quoted very carefully . . .

Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink Option Plan B

One of the wonderful things about youth is the ability to better bounce back from the occasional fall. Strictly from an age standpoint, no better time than this to venture forth on a dream.

Only expect that sometimes they tend to vanish before our eyes. You may land a good teaching position in Colorado swiftly. If not, you might, perhaps, exist on $15k for a year. If maybe only nine months, six, or less due some catastrophe. Your proposed budget allows little to nothing for the unexpected, something that in one degree or another can invariably be expected. So, what then?

A Plan B could entail the adaptability in finding a waitress position or something similar if a teaching position is not quickly secured. Ideally it would also provide a contingent if worse comes to worse, and some fallback you can return to to recover. Back to Connecticut with Mom and Dad if need be? Just have some idea.

I entirely second the notion of seeking a position within the mountains. Who knows, it might even prove easier than in the competition of all assuming the Front Range market best. Besides which, commuting does blow. Not to mention that areas within the mountains closer in to Denver and Boulder are expensive precisely because people figure they can have it all, and still the job in the city. But still the commute with everybody else. Besides which, if you really want to be there, looking at the snow-capped peaks of the Rockies from the plains is a poor substitute for being there within them.

On that note, though, realize that despite dreams to the contrary that even if finding work there that you may in time (and maybe soon) find the mountains are not for you. A lovely postcard of the Maroon Bells in summer is not the same as digging your car out yet again from a snowbank on a frosty morning. And while Denver can and does occasionally get a little nippy, I've seen a January in Summit County where the high temperature never once broke zero. Mountain living can be absolutely wonderful, if often harsher. And if without a healthy bank balance, as in necessarily working, it invariably demands sacrifices in various ways: less house for the money, higher cost of living, less options in shopping, etc. There is no way of knowing in advance how you will feel about this in time.

It is a beautiful dream. One surely worth pursuing, and all the more before tied down with a family or other responsibilities. But do have a Plan B.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
When you are 23, everything seems very easy, but usually in life things cost twice as much as you expected or took twice the time you expected. Also at that age, one thinks the world will just cooperate with whatever dreams you have, when in reality the rest of the world has their own lives and isn't going to hand you everything on a platter.

I was in school in Connecticut for a while growing up. It was an interesting experience and I got a lot out of it. What I remember is how well the teachers were paid in comparison to most other places in the USA. I remember the teachers were practically high fiving one another over how good they had it. Our school day only went from 8 AM to 2:12 PM every day and there were 20 snow days available, which they made sure they used those suckers.

If this was 2005, it would be one thing. But this is the obama statist economy where prosperity and success is bad and with deficits and unemployment double the Bush or Clinton years, in general, not to mention the horrendous cost of living and stagnant wage growth. There isn't a single person I know in Colorado that hasn't had their whole world and financial stature totally rocked in the past 5 years. The job market is very tight, pay is stagnant, living expenses high and there is tons of competition because of all the dreamy people that want to live in Colorado.

If I was in your shoes and if you have a job, I'd keep it and get some decent work experience down, as well as more education. It's easy to say you'll just move to Colorado and everything will be fine, but I don't believe it will be that easy.

For starters you need to visit, not as a tourist, but as someone looking to move there and second, I would have a job before you move.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 28,218 times
Mike: thanks for the encouragement!

Idunn: Thank you for your advice on my situation. I agree that a plan b and c is very important. If I can't find a teaching job, I plan on doing day care in some capacity. If that doesn't work, I would be willing to look at any marginal job to help tide me over to the next hiring season. If all that fails, yes, I could move back to CT. My family is not rich but is very supportive and encouraging so I know that if all else fails, I could move home.

Your point about pursuing my dream before I am tied down is one that sticks in my head. I know that relocating is a risky proposition, but I think I am in one of the better situations to try it. I have decent savings, no debt, no family or other responsibilities to hold me back. Obviously if I can't find a job before I move, it will be more risky, but I might take that risk.

Sometimes I think about it like this: if I wait for the circumstances to be absolutely perfect for me to move, I don't know if I ever will be able to.

Waneroo: thank you for your words as well. It definitely is a dream, but I am aware I have some work to do to make it a reality. As I said in my OP, I have visited the state before and am planning a week long trip out there this spring with living there in mind.

Sorta going back to my OP, if I am moving: what are some areas that I should see?

I have visited Colorado on a road trip and fell in love with the mountains and the kindness of the people (compared to the northeast). However, I didn't get to spend much time in any large city besides Denver. Seeing as I might have to live in one of those places, any ideas?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Most of the Front Range is where most of the jobs are, lots of school districts, use our search tool to find threads on teaching. A particularly good person to read is a guy named stealthrabbit who has recently posted really good stuff about timing and other aspects; find his posts with the advanced search and using his screen ID as one of the search terms.

Front Range is COLO SPGS to Fort Collins, along the I-25 corridor. LOTS of school districts throughout.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM

101 posts, read 130,815 times
jazzlover has got to be one of my all time favorite posters from any message board i've regularly read over the past fifteen years.

thelionofmali has actual *career* experience, no debt, is willing to make sacrifices, plans out his actions, seeks advice from others, and has backup plans in case things go south.

and he still shouldn't move out here? jazz is telling him to save up two years of salary?

Quote:
Sometimes I think about it like this: if I wait for the circumstances to be absolutely perfect for me to move, I don't know if I ever will be able to.
this.

do people on this board remember what it was like to be young and try something new? jeez, man, go for it. you've got a lot more going for you than a lot of other people your age i meet around here, and most of them still find a way to make it work for them.

teaching can be a hard field to break into here, but who knows what turn your career path may take if you don't land a teaching gig out here. i've met a number of people with backgrounds in education who moved onto something else for whatever reason (not always due to not being able to find a teaching position).

this dream is going to be a lot harder to achieve when you've got a family/mortgage/jaded perspective however many years from now.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
I did 90% of my travelling and adventuring before turning 30, when I was carefree, single, carless ( no car ), and often jobless. Surprising how little money is required if you are flexible, innovative, and willing to live simply. What I could have done with $15,000! Once you get tied down ( spouse, kids, mortgage, job ), real adventure is a bit harder to come by. Do it now or forever regret what might have been. On the other hand, if you've already acquired the American addiction to security that has been programmed into you your entire life, then you might want to consider hunkering down right where you are, and get your rear and your career in gear. But from reading your post, I don't think the latter applies to you. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or