U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 20,141,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionofmali View Post
how it effects the school as a business(?) but I do care how it effects my kids.
Affects
Do the kids pay you? No. The school system does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,822,753 times
thelionofmali wrote: Do I tell them my intentions and resign early ?... Or do I go on the road trip and try to find a job in Colorado, sort of behind my schools back ...and screw them over if I get it?

By all means, hold on to your current job until you've obtained another one, and tell them nothing of your plans. By looking for another job you are in no way doing anything behind someone's back, nor would you be screwing them over if you got another job and resigned. Strike those erroneous notions from your thinking. Zig Ziglar, the noted motivational speaker would call those those thoughts...stinkin thinkin!. It is possible, at this very moment, that your present employer might have your name on a list of employees to be cut in the next wave of austerity measures. If that was happening, do you think they would tell YOU about THEIR plans? You owe it to yourself to do what's best for you. If you don't look out for your own best interests, you can bet your last dollar that your employer ain't gonna do it for you. And unless you are a billionaire, the government ain't gonna do it either.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-19-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM

24 posts, read 28,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Affects
I KNEW someone was going to bust me for that one! haha

I suppose you both are right about that. I find that I am too nice, naive, or unassuming for much of this world! Still, this is one thing I should be selfish about.

I will try to contact someone in my union to find out about my rights.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM

825 posts, read 1,600,603 times
As I was going over some of these posts it occurred to me that the experience of my daughter is on point here. Eight years ago this spring she graduated from a fine but small midwest college with an unmarketable undergraduate degree in history. After working for a few months at a big box store, she took off for Denver with nothing but a name of a prospective room mate and a vague plan involving internships and graduate school that even today she cannot articulate. After a few months when the internship petered out and registration deadlines came and went she took a job with a national company. A year or so later the company left the state, but paid her a rather surprising severance.

She immediately took a retail job and banked her severance while most of her former co-workers lived off theirs. Within 18 months she was given her own branch store to manage. After another 18 months or so (we are up to '07 or early -'08), the imminent bankruptcy of her employer became apparent; an acquaintance told her of a fairly new start up company with an office in Denver that was hiring. Starting at the bottom there she was promoted twice in the first year. Today, she is an executive with that company responsible for 125 or so people in her division.

Lucky? Yes - but she made her luck. She lived within her means, crummy apartments and all. She still drives her 20 year old Buick. She works hard. She never sat on her behind. She used that severance pay and her savings to buy a house (her, virtually the only Anglo in a Hispanic neighborhood). She owes exactly nothing except the balance on her house. She has equity in her house at a time when so many are upside down. And money in the bank.

But look at the story she could have told: Two employers who failed through no fault of her own. Stuck in an expensive city with a worthless degree. How easily she could have fallen into the grad school/student loan trap and racked up tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. Or endless credit card debt.

On the topic of employment, she hires people every week and says she could use more. Their requirements are not extreme - a college degree of any kind whatsoever, an ability to show up for work on time and sober, and a willingness to follow through and perform the work. Apparently that is too much for a lot of people.

If you can't follow a dream - even an ill defined one - when you are young, then you never can. Just do not be surprised if it takes you somewhere far from where you expected to be.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM

356 posts, read 512,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Lucky? Yes - but she made her luck. She lived within her means, crummy apartments and all. She still drives her 20 year old Buick. She works hard. She never sat on her behind. She used that severance pay and her savings to buy a house (her, virtually the only Anglo in a Hispanic neighborhood). She owes exactly nothing except the balance on her house. She has equity in her house at a time when so many are upside down. And money in the bank.
Great story! Reminds me of a quote of Buffett's "Our country's social goal should not be to put families into the house of their dreams, but rather to put them into a house they can afford,"

If your living expenses are well under what you earn, with minimal debt, you can afford to be more flexible and take bigger risks.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 PM

20 posts, read 32,187 times
Can one commute from Boulder to DTC or is that insane?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 PM

6,516 posts, read 10,165,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesedona View Post
That would be beyond insane - 45-50 mins right now. During rush hour it'd be closer to 80-90 mins.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM

13,219 posts, read 24,276,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesedona View Post
Boulder is certainly lovable, but it isn't worth that commute IMO (especially at the price you'd have to pay). I got stuck doing it both ways during morning rush hour more times than I care to remember, and I'd have to leave ~ 75 minutes prior to get to Boulder on time from DTC.

Visit Boulder on weekends, or get a job there, or in the US 36 corridor.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 PM

10,053 posts, read 13,921,844 times
To give you an idea of time to get from one to other side, Parker to Boulder is 2 hours, 4 hours on snow day, 65 miles approx. Live close to work if you can.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,981,025 times
Several of my friends do that commute because Boulder is home and they are fully established there (some of them for decades), and they were offered jobs in the tech center that were too good to turn down.

They all agree the commute is awful, but worth it for them - if any of them were rootless and looking for where to live and call home none of them would choose Boulder knowing they would be commuting to the tech center. There are plenty of good places to live nearer the tech center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or