U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,392,322 times

Advertisements

Didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. I'm seriously thinking of moving back to Fayetteville. I miss my friends and the area there. OR back to Ridgway. Will decide this summer. All I know is I have GOT to get out of Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Didn't mean to hijack the OP's thread. I'm seriously thinking of moving back to Fayetteville. I miss my friends and the area there. OR back to Ridgway. Will decide this summer. All I know is I have GOT to get out of Delta.
Can't blame you on that. Not a big fan of Delta or Montrose.

You can always look at North Central PA. We've got mountains, wilderness, trees, water, 4 seasons with very pleasant summers and moderate winters(N. Central PA misses a lot of the lake effect snow and also the Atlantic ocean storms), nice towns, no gun or hunting or fishing hassles, no tax on pensions, no sales tax on most food and clothing, very friendly people and reasonable real estate. Where I live there is plenty of shopping, restaurants and services but there are larger cities within 45 minutes via I-99. NYC, Philly, Toronto, Pittsburgh and DC are within 4-6 hours drive if you need the big city.

We also have a big Christmas festival, a national level motorsport rally in June, a summer festival, local theaters with tons of concerts and plays and a plethora of other events and things to do. Our town of 3000 people even had a mountain living magazine that started up about 7 years ago that now has a readership of around 100,000 now and covers the whole local mountain region.

I might have missed Colorado sometimes, but never regretted leaving. It's inexpensive to live here and it's more fun with plenty to do outdoors. Local people are very nice and helpful. I kayak on the local Pine Creek and local lakes, ride the 65 mile long Pine Creek gorge trail, snowshoe, hike and have a place to target shoot.

Pine Creek Gorge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pine Creek Rail Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,593,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Can't blame you on that. Not a big fan of Delta or Montrose.

You can always look at North Central PA. We've got mountains, wilderness, trees, water, 4 seasons with very pleasant summers and moderate winters(N. Central PA misses a lot of the lake effect snow and also the Atlantic ocean storms), nice towns, no gun or hunting or fishing hassles, no tax on pensions, no sales tax on most food and clothing, very friendly people and reasonable real estate. Where I live there is plenty of shopping, restaurants and services but there are larger cities within 45 minutes via I-99. NYC, Philly, Toronto, Pittsburgh and DC are within 4-6 hours drive if you need the big city.

We also have a big Christmas festival, a national level motorsport rally in June, a summer festival, local theaters with tons of concerts and plays and a plethora of other events and things to do. Our town of 3000 people even had a mountain living magazine that started up about 7 years ago that now has a readership of around 100,000 now and covers the whole local mountain region.

I might have missed Colorado sometimes, but never regretted leaving. It's inexpensive to live here and it's more fun with plenty to do outdoors. Local people are very nice and helpful. I kayak on the local Pine Creek and local lakes, ride the 65 mile long Pine Creek gorge trail, snowshoe, hike and have a place to target shoot.

Pine Creek Gorge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pine Creek Rail Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tioga County, PA Visitors Bureau and the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

I second that Wanneroo. I'm happy to be in eastern Pennsylvania where the Pocono's are at my doorstep and the beach is less than a two hour drive away.

I haven't regretted leaving CO for one second.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 AM

13,290 posts, read 25,455,947 times
Of course I vote for Jim to move to Ridgway. The day I spent in an around Delta was about 105 degrees, and I'd taken two kinds of allergy pills and have never felt so head-sick, then bounced around in an SUV to "see the desert" and couldn't open my eyes because of the burning. That said, it did seem... dreary.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Of course I vote for Jim to move to Ridgway. The day I spent in an around Delta was about 105 degrees, and I'd taken two kinds of allergy pills and have never felt so head-sick, then bounced around in an SUV to "see the desert" and couldn't open my eyes because of the burning. That said, it did seem... dreary.
I enjoyed living in Grand Junction, but I wouldn't have wanted to live in Delta (too small).

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I enjoyed living in Grand Junction, but I wouldn't have wanted to live in Delta (too small).

Actually for me, too big. And the people are horrible. Decided I'm moving back to Ridgway this summer. So get ready for goodbye cows, hello paradise!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,251,685 times
Quote:
I've about had it with the high cost of everything, the liberal politics, and unfriendly people here.
High cost of living compared to Arkansas? Well yeah!!!! High cost of living compared to NYC, L.A., San Diego, Seattle, SF....mmmm not so much. IMO, Denver strikes a good balance between cost of living and natural beauty/weather.

Sorry to hear about people being unfriendly. That was not my experience. Everyone was sooo laid back and easy going. None of that snooty, uptight, SoCal, "look at me and my Cadillac Escalade with chrome spinners" crap that we get here in Phoenix.

Last edited by Scottay; 02-22-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,420,129 times
Quote:
Actually for me, too big. And the people are horrible. Decided I'm moving back to Ridgway this summer. So get ready for goodbye cows, hello paradise!
I would definitely prefer Ridgway over Delta too! After living in W. Colorado (Grand Junction) for 7 years, we had to get out of there, but seriously considered Montrose, Durango, or Ridgway/Ouray if we could have found work.

I will say, that after living in Oregon now for almost 5 years I finally feel like I have a good group of friends. It takes time. I do miss my family and much of Colorado, but I also love in here. I think it's good for you to not give up entirely on Colorado, since you do seem to love much of it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM

10 posts, read 15,032 times
JIm, I'm glad you've decided to move back to Ridgway. That said, I read your posts a long time ago, when I was going through my thought process about moving to SW CO, and I recall some of what you didn't like about Ridgway -- the long, cold winters, for one? What are your thoughts about how you'll deal with the downsides, once you move back? By the way...your experiences and your adventurous spirit were among those that kept me thinking and planning. I moved to Durango last August. It's not perfect, but it's darn close. And the people here are very friendly. Plenty of howdy and how are you and chitchat in the grocery store and such.

Good luck! Let us know how your move back to Ridgway goes.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 11,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I second that Wanneroo. I'm happy to be in eastern Pennsylvania where the Pocono's are at my doorstep and the beach is less than a two hour drive away.

I haven't regretted leaving CO for one second.

Amazing how different folks have such vastly different outlook on things. That's what makes life interesting after all!

I live in SE PA and HATE the humidity with a passion! I want to move to CO to enjoy outdoor things because here I hibernate indoors all summer long.

Good luck in your search Jim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or