U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 918,928 times

Advertisements

I use to frequent this thread a lot learning about different areas and try and get a feel for the area my wife and I were moving to. I did notice a lot of whining though on these threads. But I was living in ATL and got a job in NOCO, long story short the job went away shortly after arriving here. I thought I would share my thoughts for those that are "tired" of life elsewhere.

Weather: Fantastic, sunny all the time, no humidity, I wish it would snow more, the skiing is a lil rough right now. I do wish there were more trees in the front range but, oh well.

Cost of living: More than the south, but still not too bad. Utilities are a lot cheaper and the AC doesnt run constantly. Housing is high and the houses are jammed next to each other, but you have a lot to keep you busy. Taxes are pretty low compared to the north east.

Entertainment: Really good, good restraunts in Denver, Boulder, Ft Collins, Loveland. Its really easy to get to those areas as well. THere is always something going on somewhere. Low crime, traffic is low. Major sports teams ect...Also Im big into out doors so Im in Heaven, the wife is into shopping, theatre shes happy as well.

Economy: Compared to GA the economy is stronger, but jobs are tough to come by. My wife has an advanced degree and works retail, so do most of her co workers. Every interview I've been on the feed back is overwhelming # of apps. Everybody wants to be here.

Overall: Great place to live, Im glad im not close to Denver, but I enjoy it here more than anywhere else Ive lived. BUT if you are not happy where you are and if you think packing up and leaving so you can smoke weed, you are wrong. The job market is tight here, there are great jobs but everybody wants to be here. We are here for now, but if a better opportunity arrises Im not gonna stay in CO just to be poor and happy. Id rather just visit if it comes to that. Hopefully not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,130,568 times
Interesting post. I live in Atlanta. Thinking about moving for a better job and Denver was on the list of big cities to consider, but I have always wondered if the pastures out there were really greener than here (I live ITP in ATL). I have visited Denver a couple of times for a few days at a time, but never long enough to get a good feel for everyday life there.

I did not know that the job market was that tight there.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM

1,246 posts, read 918,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Interesting post. I live in Atlanta. Thinking about moving for a better job and Denver was on the list of big cities to consider, but I have always wondered if the pastures out there were really greener than here (I live ITP in ATL). I have visited Denver a couple of times for a few days at a time, but never long enough to get a good feel for everyday life there.

I did not know that the job market was that tight there.
It is extremely tight, and that can go for anywhere I guess. In ATL it was pretty tight with the amount of recent grads trying to find work. I dont know if things have improved or not there.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,398,038 times
Good post. I've lived here for 3 1/2 years after retiring and moving from Arkansas, and about to move back. I've about had it with the high cost of everything, the liberal politics, and unfriendly people here.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM

463 posts, read 978,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I use to frequent this thread a lot learning about different areas and try and get a feel for the area my wife and I were moving to. I did notice a lot of whining though on these threads. But I was living in ATL and got a job in NOCO, long story short the job went away shortly after arriving here. I thought I would share my thoughts for those that are "tired" of life elsewhere.

Weather: Fantastic, sunny all the time, no humidity, I wish it would snow more, the skiing is a lil rough right now. I do wish there were more trees in the front range but, oh well.

Cost of living: More than the south, but still not too bad. Utilities are a lot cheaper and the AC doesnt run constantly. Housing is high and the houses are jammed next to each other, but you have a lot to keep you busy. Taxes are pretty low compared to the north east.

Entertainment: Really good, good restraunts in Denver, Boulder, Ft Collins, Loveland. Its really easy to get to those areas as well. THere is always something going on somewhere. Low crime, traffic is low. Major sports teams ect...Also Im big into out doors so Im in Heaven, the wife is into shopping, theatre shes happy as well.

Economy: Compared to GA the economy is stronger, but jobs are tough to come by. My wife has an advanced degree and works retail, so do most of her co workers. Every interview I've been on the feed back is overwhelming # of apps. Everybody wants to be here.

Overall: Great place to live, Im glad im not close to Denver, but I enjoy it here more than anywhere else Ive lived. BUT if you are not happy where you are and if you think packing up and leaving so you can smoke weed, you are wrong. The job market is tight here, there are great jobs but everybody wants to be here. We are here for now, but if a better opportunity arrises Im not gonna stay in CO just to be poor and happy. Id rather just visit if it comes to that. Hopefully not.
Interesting read. Well said. Please follow-up your experience after your unemployment runs out! I'm curious to see if you'll morph into one of the "whiners"

Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,594,540 times
I'm 46 years old.
My mother and I when I was twelve moved from our multi generational homestead in southern IL (part of the greater St.Louis Mo metro plex so she could be nearer her sister in Sterling,CO (northeastern CO) . The culture shock of moving from the lush greenery and thick hardwood forests to a barren, brown treeless landscape was intense to say the least.

As I grew into young adulthood I went to and graduated from Northeastern Jr. College in Sterling and moved to the Denver metro area where I lived for the next eight years until I met my wife who was born and raised in Great Falls Montana.
While in Denver I completed my Masters degree and lived a decent life.
I then moved to Helena Montana in 1994 where I excelled in both life and love.

We decided to move back to Denver in 2008 for an employment opportunity.

I just couldn't deal any longer being out west.
We both found opportunity in eastern PA so we moved.

I'm extremely happy to be back in a location that not everyone is dying to move to.
The lush greenery and hardwood forests are right out my backdoor.
I missed the humidity which I have plenty of here. After all it's the humidity that keeps everything so lush.

During my years in Colorado I tried in vain to really truly connect with the beauty that is to be found amongst the high desert prairie and the mountains but the cost of living, the landscape which I don't prefer and the culture all created an insurmountable barrier to be able to reach a true connection with the state.

I was always meant to be east of the Mississippi River and finally again I am.

Colorado is a beautiful state in it's own right but I never connected with it.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Good post. I've lived here for 3 1/2 years after retiring and moving from Arkansas, and about to move back. I've about had it with the high cost of everything, the liberal politics, and unfriendly people here.
Dang Jim, so you are bailing out? Thought you were going to hang around for a while.

Can't blame you though.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Jim, besides being near to family in CO (a double-edge sword!) were there things that actually drove you away from AR? Would you go back to the same town/area where you lived?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Wow, Jim, what's up? I've been reading your threads off and on the past couple of years. I believe you had just moved to Western CO during the time I was living in Grand Junction .... It always sounded like you loved it. Why the change of heart?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM

95 posts, read 153,212 times
Jim, We will all miss your posts and observations. Here's wishing you all the best for the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or