U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM

463 posts, read 978,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbobb View Post
What about fleas and ticks? Does the altitude effect dogs?
I had 7 dogs. Over the span of their lives, I doubt I picked more than a half dozen fleas off them and I never used those poison collars or treatments-all natural. In the rare case that they got a flea, they usually contracted them from pikas or other ground rodents. The pack would hunt them, they absolutely loved it and I couldn't break them of the habit (they were a hunting breed). I gave up-didn't want to spoil their fun. A bigger problem occurred when they would accidently ingest a flea from a rodent that they caught. The fleas have parasites and the larva ends up in the dogs bowels as an adult hook worm. How the worm gets there is not a topic of polite conversation so ask Dr Kettering (excellent vet) if you want the gory details. There is a very effective oral treatment that will kill the hook worm but I can't remember the name of the med as I type this. You know if your dog is infected b/c you will see what looks like a piece of rice on/near it's anus. It's actually a segment of the adult hook worm. Also, the Kings are great (Cottonwood Vet Service). They are in that little strip center near the Missing Sock laundry.
My dogs LOVED the altitude. BV was paradise for them. No humidity, v few, if any, fleas or ticks, no mange. Be careful about walking them up by four-mile. There seems to be a lot of porcupines up there so I stopped walking up there-check out the pix on DrK's bulletin board if you want to see what happens when a dog meets a porc. There is an informal group of people who walk their dogs by the fair-grounds near Greg and Rodeo Drive. Love them while you have them. Truth is, we don't deserve them. I miss mine terribly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbobb View Post
What about fleas and ticks? Does the altitude effect dogs?
PS There is a wasp or fly that occurs with rabbit populations and it carries a parasite. The wasp lays an egg in the skin of your dog that turns into an angry boil that won't heal. When the boil gets big, you will notice it. If you very gently squeeze the boil, you will evict the tenant, a small worm. Be careful not to squish the worm or you may cause an infection. Swab the boil w/ disinfectant afterwards and it should heal nicely. Can't remember the name of the parasite-acuteSomethingLatinEtc-but a vet will know. I had to remove 2 of these from my pack and it's not a job for the squemish. If you decide to do nothing, the larvae will morph into an adult wasp and fly away, leaving the boil to heal naturally. We have these in South America and a human friend had one and didn't even feel it. The larvae secretes an anticoagulant that has anestetic qualities so the host, dog or human, doesn't even know that it's there until the boil gets big.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,985,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
PS There is a wasp or fly that occurs with rabbit populations and it carries a parasite. . .
Don't know if it's the one you're talking about, but tularemia (sometimes called rabbit fever), spread by tick and deer flies, is a disease to be aware of throughout Colorado.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Don't know if it's the one you're talking about, but tularemia (sometimes called rabbit fever), spread by tick and deer flies, is a disease to be aware of throughout Colorado.
No. I was referring to a species of Bot fly:

MediRabbit

Not sure which species we have here but they populate near rabbit colonies.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,689,879 times
"My main concern is finding a simple job that gives me health insurance within 12 months of living there."

Read more: Cajuns moving to Buena Vista this summer!

Oh boy, I wish you the very best of luck finding ANY job little lone with health care insurance.
I've had friends that have lived in Chaffee County for 10-12 yrs get "economically eliminated" over this past 5 yrs.
If you're a local the job is already gone.
Best to move with a solid job in place.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM

City Market offers benefits for full time employees as does Copper mountain (75 minute commute each way), Climax Moly mine near Leadville (60 minute commute) and the prison. You have to be full-time though. It's not easy to find a good job but you could say that about anywhere right now.

Last edited by Lugnuts; 02-21-2013 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
"My main concern is finding a simple job that gives me health insurance within 12 months of living there."

Read more: Cajuns moving to Buena Vista this summer!

Oh boy, I wish you the very best of luck finding ANY job little lone with health care insurance.
I've had friends that have lived in Chaffee County for 10-12 yrs get "economically eliminated" over this past 5 yrs.
If you're a local the job is already gone.
Best to move with a solid job in place.
It's a small town not exactly close to any major population centers. Other than the brief boom in summer from rafting, I can't imagine what else would be around there that would provide jobs, other than the few small businesses in town?

It's another Colorado town where you need to either bring your job or bring lots of money to make it there long term.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Be prepared for the shock that Colorado medical costs tend to be on the high side. Also, rural Colorado living also means often having to go to the metro areas for anything beyond fairly routine medical treatment.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-28-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,614,384 times
Jazz, there's the relatively new (2008) Regional Medical Center in Salida that offers mammograms, hospice, orthopedic sports medicine, chemotherapy, a birthing center, surgery (including gastroenterology and cataracts) and rehabilitation. Their new facility has a CT scanner and an MRI. Didn't have the radiation oncology that we needed last summer, darn it, so we had to drive to Denver for that.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Jazz, there's the relatively new (2008) Regional Medical Center in Salida that offers mammograms, hospice, orthopedic sports medicine, chemotherapy, a birthing center, surgery (including gastroenterology and cataracts) and rehabilitation. Their new facility has a CT scanner and an MRI. Didn't have the radiation oncology that we needed last summer, darn it, so we had to drive to Denver for that.
Yes, I was aware of Salida's new regional medical center. Rural Colorado medical care is certainly more sophisticated than it was 30 years ago, but, as you note, there are still numerous specialized treatments and procedures that can only be performed at metro medical facilities. I, and most everyone that I know in rural Colorado who has lived here long-term have wound up having to go to Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, or Salt Lake City at some point for specialized medical needs. In my case, there was a time when I was having to make a nearly 600 mile roundtrip to Denver several times a month for specialized treatment--nearly 600 miles and 12 hours on the road for a treatment that took less than an hour once I got there. Thankfully, that only lasted for about 6 months--back when fuel was way cheaper than it is now. If I had the same medical condition today, though, I would still have to go to Denver or Salt Lake City for treatment. That hasn't changed. Unfortunately, many potential residents of rural Colorado never think about that possibility before they relocate here--or they think that such a thing won't happen to them--but, sooner or later, it usually does. Oh, and as I've posted before, be sure that your insurance will pay if you have to be medivac'ed by helicopter out of rural Colorado. The going rate is about $200 per MILE. Buena Vista to Denver would probably be about $15K-$20K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado