U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 AM

42 posts, read 148,259 times

Advertisements

We just got back from one week there in Denver and met many people that I asked that same questions and all of them said there asthma improved. One friend we have that lives in HR said her son had terrible problems and after moving to Denver hasn't yet had to use the nebulizer. She has lived there 2 years. I did a test with my son't allergy medicine last week I didn't give him it and he did great once we got back home he is back on the med's. I think the constant damp humid weather is terrible for the lungs I'm sure research would prove that wrong but even living in San Diego once we get some damp wet weather and in June gloom when it is humid my son has problems. I guess it just depends on the indiviual I know after spending a week in Denver my sinuses were great. Good Luck
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM

85,030 posts, read 98,929,643 times
There may be a temporary improvement in one's asthma out here. The reason there were so many TB sanitariums here is that it was thought at the time that the dry air was good for TB. That did not prove to be true.

I work in a pediatrician's office. We get our share of asthmatics and admit our share to the hospital. Part of the problem here is the altitude. It is hard to get an o2 sat above 97 or so with normal lung function, with asthma is goes down quickly. There is not as much oxygen in the air here. We see lots of people w/sinus problems. Do not expect to move here to improve your respiratory health.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,172,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego mover View Post
We just got back from one week there in Denver and met many people that I asked that same questions and all of them said there asthma improved. One friend we have that lives in HR said her son had terrible problems and after moving to Denver hasn't yet had to use the nebulizer. She has lived there 2 years. I did a test with my son't allergy medicine last week I didn't give him it and he did great once we got back home he is back on the med's. I think the constant damp humid weather is terrible for the lungs I'm sure research would prove that wrong but even living in San Diego once we get some damp wet weather and in June gloom when it is humid my son has problems. I guess it just depends on the indiviual I know after spending a week in Denver my sinuses were great. Good Luck
wierd isn't it. Normally, I have to keep my albuterol on a string around my neck, its in my suitcase, and I never packed it. As far as the kids with asthma, I have no doubt that(pitnurse) you see alot of it, its your career. The one thing you would not see would be all the people who feel better here, because they would not visit if they felt fine. Just a theory. Any Body else feel better here, any doctors who have seen this? Possible that I don't have asthma at all, maybe just symptoms that are similar. Thoughts? This is a no brainer if I can breath here. You just have no idea what its like to have an attack. Like a fish out of water.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM

Well, yes, of course we see people who come in for problems. But it is an incontovertible fact that there is less oxygen in the air here. And I said, it may cause a temporary improvement in symptoms. It also depends on what triggers your asthma. With allergies, if you move, you will not have problems for a while b/c you have not been sensitized to the allergens in your new area. But then they come back with a vengeance. And BTW, we see more asthma probs here than I did in Illinois or PA.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 PM

23 posts, read 158,796 times
This may be a naive question - I was hoping that by moving from Phx to Denver (with cleaner air quality), my overall lung health would improve. I am living with Valley Fever (a cavity in my lung due to inhaling the dust in the soil in AZ). I plan to have the cavity surgically removed this year, then move to a 'cleaner air' state. The fresh mountain air is so desirable to me now. Do I have to live by the foot of the mountains to get that, or would the SE Denver suburbs do?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 PM

Check out some of the threads on Denver/Boulder air quality. Also do a Google search. You may change your mind about the clean air here. I'm not telling you not to come here, mind you, just come with all the facts.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,252 times
Question asthma above 7000 feet

I was told by a respiratory therapist who treated my son that we should move down to the Denver Altitude. He has been to the ED numerous times and sent back to Evergreen on oxygen. Every time he becomes ill, a cold is never just a cold anymore and we have him on Maitenance medication. His oxygen levels have dropped well below 90% even on a full ltr. He said above 7000 feet seems to be the cut off. Is this True? I recently seperated and moved back down to Denver. He still becomes ill, but doesn't seem to require oxygen down here. Anyone with training have an opinion? Thanks

Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnsn View Post
I was told by a respiratory therapist who treated my son that we should move down to the Denver Altitude. He has been to the ED numerous times and sent back to Evergreen on oxygen. Every time he becomes ill, a cold is never just a cold anymore and we have him on Maitenance medication. His oxygen levels have dropped well below 90% even on a full ltr. He said above 7000 feet seems to be the cut off. Is this True? I recently seperated and moved back down to Denver. He still becomes ill, but doesn't seem to require oxygen down here. Anyone with training have an opinion? Thanks
That sounds right to me. Even at Denver altitude, you have less oxygen in your blood that at sea level. The higher the altitude, the less oxygen. I don't know exactly where the cutoff point is. I would imagine an RT would know that.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM

53 posts, read 454,343 times
I have asthma and I moved to Denver last spring.

I have not noticed any difference in my breathing capacity nor lung function as a result of the move. We moved from sea level.

However every person is different. Especially asthma sufferers who are triggered by allergens. It may not neccessarily be an altitude issue, but if the allergens that trigger your allergens are worse in Denver your astham will likley get worse, if on the other hand they are better, then likely you will feel better here. Being a semi arid region there aren't as many natural allergens as many other areas, however this is a large city and due to watering and lawn maintanence and plantings there are many introduced allergans that are not native to this area.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM

45 posts, read 252,993 times
Smile Asthma & Allergies

I have problems with both, but my asthma is practically non existent here in comparison to when I lived in Montana (more humidity there). The climate here is a lot drier & that seems to make a big difference in my asthma. But I am also allergic to molds, which are higher in MT due to the higher humidity. When I moved here I went from using my inhaler 4-6 times a day, gradually down to once every 2-3 months. Which I attribute to the difference in climate & help from a chiropractor. Everytime I go back to MT I have to begin using my inhaler again within the first 24 hrs, & it usually stops within the first day of coming back to CO.

As far as my allergies go I do think they are better here. Although it's kind of hard to tell. When I visit MT I am on the family farm & around horses, hay, cats/dogs, etc. all of which I am allergic to. So it is always a relief to come back to CO & get away from all of that. I'm not sure how much different it would be if I was in MT, but in town & away from the farm. However I do still have occasional problems here in CO, mostly when the wind blows hard & gets everything all stirred up in the air. Goldenrod also seems to be a bad one for me, & it was EVERYWHERE this year after all the moisture we had this winter/spring.

If you know what you are allergic to you can sign up for free allergy alert emails at www dot pollen dot com. It gives you information on the days pollen count for your area & what the predominant pollens are for that day.

I hope this helps!

Kelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado