U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 38,122 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I live in coastal NW Florida, and my family is thinking of relocating to CO. We would have to live someplace close enough to commute to Denver b/c of my husband's work.

One of my daughters has asthma. She's 8 years-old and okay now, but it was very severe when she was younger and (for those of you familiar with the disease) even now doesn't make it through the fall/winter without regular inhaled steroids.

Any ideas on how the higher altitude will affect her? The problem is compounded by the fact that where I live is below sea level so we're talking a HUGE adjustment here.

And a separate question--any of you formerly from very warm places and happy in Colorado now? My husband and I aren't from FL (not even from the South) but we've been here awhile and my kids have always lived here. How long does it take to adjust to the cold?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,270,760 times
im also going to CO from FL and looked alot into altitude pretty much ive noticed everyone is different....some dont notice the change, others get sick and then get used to it after couple weeks and some dont get used to it ever.......

Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,203,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRuMRideR420 View Post
im also going to CO from FL and looked alot into altitude pretty much ive noticed everyone is different....some dont notice the change, others get sick and then get used to it after couple weeks and some dont get used to it ever.......
Less rag weed here means better asthma for alot of us

Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 AM

I'm actually not worried about things like ragweed---my daughter's asthma is not allergic except for dust mites, which are actually much better there than where we live now. Her main trigger is getting sick.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM

9 posts, read 30,192 times
I have allergies and asthma too and am considering moving there. I would love to know how it might be. I'm living in the worst city in the nation for allergy sufferers so i figure anywhere i go will be an improvement. But how does the high altitude play into that? No ragweed is definitely a good thing for me.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

17 posts, read 52,811 times
I do not have allergies or asthma, but when I moved here from FL, my lungs and sinuses loved the dry, clean air (mind you, I live outside of Denver though). In FL I lived at six feet above sea level, and moved to 7800 feet. It took a good month before I began to feel normal again, but it takes many up to three months. While adjusting to the altitude, you will feel tired and dehydrated. Try to take naps when you can and drink lots and lots of water. The thinner air may trigger some asthma attacks, but the air quality is so much better here than in Florida -- maybe her condition will improve.

As for adjusting to the cold, I think people really are over-dramatic about winters here. I used to live near Chicago, so I know what a truly nasty winter feels like! Even in the deepest cold and snow, it is usually sunny. The wind can be brutal at times, but the worst weather usually doesn't last for more than a week at a time. I think your kids will love Colorado -- I've never met a kid who doesn't LOVE the snow. The joy of snow days when school is cancelled is a joy no kid should go without.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM

Hey, thanks!
This is helpful. We love the beach, but my kids are dying to live somewhere that snows. The better air quality is a huge plus for us, too.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM

205 posts, read 899,273 times
I have read up on Denver Childrens hospital and would move out there just because of the hospital....not only is it ranked #4 nationally, but it has a whole center with special programs dedicated to my sons condition. He is two years old and while we get help for him because he is disabled, the specialty care he receives here is subpar.

The Jewish Medical Center is there also (which I honestly had never heard of) for my older son (4 yrs), who has asthma & food allergies. We currently see an allergist who is over an hour away (closest that takes our insurance) and who barely speaks understandable English...as you can imagine I don't think he gets the full care he should.

Thank you all again for your suggestions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
COFLOWER: Thanks for the correction.

There is news in today's paper about the new children's addition, at the downtown location.
- Headlines: Patient-friendly design | hospital, memorial, building - Gazette.com

Old 12-11-2007, 11:44 AM

88 posts, read 281,586 times
MIke,
I totally agree with you. I keep getting from my friends here in Texas "Oh, the weather there is terrible!" and "Oh the cold and altitude will kill you, with YOUR asthma!",
During my trips up there interviewing and looking at real estate, I did much better than even I anticipated, because of the drier air. And as far as cost of housing, yeah, what I'm looking at is more than here, but with a finished basement, it actually is almost double the square footage, so in my mind, that sort of evens things out.
It may be very cold, and snowy there this past week, but we have had either ridiculously warm temps with high humidity, or cold, overcast, gloomy and misting. In fact, yest evening there were some tiny snowflakes mixed in. Then the wind shifted to south, and now it is 70 degrees with 99% humidity!!! Get me out of here!!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,752 times
It's true for me too, Livecontent. I too have asthma, and when I moved back to the east coast I couldn't believe how much more it affected me. I grew up here and had problems ever since I was a little girl, and when I moved out west I noticed I was getting better. Doctors told me it was just because I was "growing" out of it, and that sometimes as you get older (although I am only 31 now) it gets better. I have a big problem with molds,as well some other things, and not only does it affect my breathing I also get alot of headaches. My husband has joint pain, and like you too the weather out here plays a big role. We moved back here 2 1/2 years ago and have nothing but problems.

Anyway, pittnurse70, I am not really sure what you are trying to say about the Re: houses that you posted. Obvioulsy the price is the price. I am not new to buying houses, I've owned 2. What I was trying to say is that I can look up houses on the internet all I want in my price range, and find ones that look decent. But, what they wont tell you is that it is right next to the pawn shop and accross from the dump. I was just curious if it was unrealistic to buy a house under $200,000 in a nice family friendly area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado