Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:48 PM

32 posts, read 200,622 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has heard if the Denver area is not such a great place for asthma sufferers? My 4 yr old has asthma and it seemed to get worse after moving to Phoenix. We heard that sometimes the altitude in Denver can be hard on people. Do most people that are there for a visit actually feel different because of it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 10:42 PM

49 posts, read 305,340 times
I’ve never lived in Denver, so I can’t personally testify about any of this city’s circumstances. However, I do personally know elderly people who moved from a state which had a much lower elevation than Denver's. They did experience more/intensified asthma-related health problems, and after being there for only a few months. However, they claimed that Denver’s air pollution, its existing varieties of airborne allergens, (and along with the mile-high elevation, the combination of all), is what made living there difficult/not enjoyable for them. This did require them to move out of Denver, and medically needed to do so not too long after getting there.

If moving to the Denver area is a future requirement/plan of yours, you might consider looking into any of the, (more than several), communities which border Denver, and of which, have elevations considerably less than that of Denver’s .

Old 06-08-2006, 07:16 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Denver ranked 55 with a score of 78.8 out of 100 cities by the the Asthma and Allergy foundation of America in 2006. For comparison Phoenix ranked 18 with a score or 92.2. If you want the link pm me and I can send it to you. There are deffinetly better cities but you will be moving to much better place for asthma.

Also keep in mind that Ft Collins, Colorado Springs and Greeley all made lists for some of the cleanest air among American cities so air on the front range is generally better then some other regions.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 AM

648 posts, read 2,940,734 times
Hey there- My son was diagnosed w/ asthma when he was two years old. We have lived in Colorado Springs all of his life. There are many different triggers of asthma. His is allergy related, so we treat his allergies and he does fine. If you have anymore questions, let me know I would be happy to answer them. BASHP

Old 06-14-2006, 06:03 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
http://nationaljewish.org/ is the premiere research hospital for lung, allergy and immune illnesses.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:22 PM

21 posts, read 351,637 times
I didn't suffer to much with the air but I felt tired alot in Denver. I wouldn't recommend it to someone with any type of health complication. Also the dryness causes your skin to crack and wrinkle really bad and moisturizer won't help. Beware to those with sensitive skin!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM

12 posts, read 93,742 times
For me, Denver was the best place to be for asthma.

From birth to age 15 I lived in the mid-west--Missouri and Kansas--and I had miserable asthma problems in the spring every year. I used to have to be rushed once or twice a week during springtime to the ER for asthma attacks. I had a permanent doctor's order to be excused from P.E. classes in school every spring because of this. All I had to do was run up a flight of stairs too fast and I would be in serious trouble. My family moved to Denver when I was 16 and I can say that the entire 11 years I lived in Colorado I never once had asthma of any kind, ever. Not sure if it was the altitude, the thinner air, or the relative lack of pollen-producing trees in the immediate vicinity or a combination of all the above, but I never enjoyed a spring until I lived in Colorado.

When I moved to Florida 18 years ago, the asthma started up again, in the springtime, but nowhere near as bad as when I was a kid. Clearly, at least for me, Colorado was wonderful for my asthma. Maybe it will be for your child.

On the other hand, my Dad, who never had allergies or asthma in his life, developed them while living in Denver. I guess everyone is different....

Old 10-07-2006, 02:48 AM

171 posts, read 879,897 times
Question Colorado's & asthma and allergies?

Hi All,

Four out of five of our family members have asthma and allergies. I was wondering what if any effect Colorado's fours seasons, weather and/or elevation might have.

Is there a worse allergy season there, etc? Can anyone share their experience in this area? What are the do's and don't there, etc? I have an appointment coming up with one of the children's doctors and plan to ask them about it too. Any pointed questions I should ask them as well?

Two of us have allergies that induce asthma, one has exersize induced asthma and the last one has a combination of both (poor thing). Please help! Thank you kindly.
Kali

Last edited by Kaligirl; 10-07-2006 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-07-2006, 07:00 AM

117 posts, read 531,732 times
Kaligirl - not being a local ( yet!!) but on reading in one of the travel books - Colorado has been a destination that was thought to be helpful in curing asthma - the arid dry climate was supposed to be ideal?? My son has slight swimmer's induced asthma - from swimming year round in indoor pools - well let's see what others have to say.

Old 10-07-2006, 04:26 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
Kali -

I empathize greatly with your family situation. It must be very difficult to see particularly small ones with allergies/asthma or any chronic challenge, for that matter. As someone with allergy/exercise induced asthma (even hard laughing sets it off) & ragweed/animal allergies, I'm very interested also in whatever info anyone can furnish for those of us just sometimes trying to catch a breath.

I found this article of the worst 100 places in the US for asthma, which I'll link below. Should you not be able to access it, please PM/email me & I'd be happy to send it directly, if you can't find it on "aafa dot org". The biggest complaint in the comments Re: the article, was that no one can find an article entitled the "Best 100 Places for Asthma/Allergies", but we should all keep searching, as there must be something out there.

The oddest thing is how we all differ so greatly. Interesting that the place I was born in PA is listed as the #1 worst & I don't have asthma/allergies there AT ALL - never did. Also, Atlanta is #4 & Seattle is #54 & I had no problems in either place. But, Boston which is #70 on the list is the absolute worst place for attacks for me. Due to the severity of the breathing problems I've had recently, this is the first time I've ever delayed moving until I can find a place where I can be assured I'll easily breathe. I don't want this to be a complaining post, but just to state that there are many of us out here with similar issues as you/your family so perhaps we can all info share thus helping each other.

I also find it odd that several desert/arid climate places are on the bad list, like Vegas or CO Springs/Denver. Years ago, people used to move to those climates TO breathe. So, perhaps it's a comment on the industrialization of many US towns (I do live 1-mi from the Big Dig!) & also, it would help to know statistics details - how many chain smokers are included in that particular study, for example? Or how many who've never exercised or have food allergies, thus exacerbating symptoms?

I'd like to share 2 last things, if you don't mind.

1. Firstly, my dr said this is the first year he's seeing patients (he's worked all over the world), some in their 70's/80's, who are suffering from allergies/asthma for the first time in their lives. He indicated that 50% of the patients he's currently seeing are for allergies/asthma, MANY first timers & some so severe (with accompanying headache/nausea/vomiting/dizziness/fever), they must be escourted into his office! Sounds like flu symptoms, no, but he assured me they're suffering severe allergies, often times triggering asthma attacks. I don't know if that's a US problem, a local New England problem, a MA problem or a Boston problem.

2. Secondly, I'd like to share something that worked greatly for me in the past. I suffered until I was 23, then had accupuncture for 6-wks after which my allergies disappeared. I began chiropractic care at the same time & within 6-mos, my asthma completely disappeared & I could stop the 3 different asthma meds I was taking daily (Theodur, Ventolin & Proventil). Neither asthma or allergies returned until I moved back to Boston 20-yrs later.

So, thank you for your post as this is a reminder to me that I should return to my holistic dr's for some care. I hadn't thought about it before you posted, so cheers for that. Also, I do live in a big city where these are easy-to-find, albeit very expensive options & not insurance covered. I know some others live in smaller towns, so perhaps holistics aren't available. I also realize everyone's body is vastly different, what works for 1 will not help another & also, perhaps I just lucked out & found great practitioners 20-yrs ago. But, I still wanted to share in the event it helps just one of us out there.

Hope your family is feeling better soon. I'd also like to say the same to all those out there who are having a challenging asthma/allergy season & to encourage everyone to share even the smallest info they have in Re: to allergy/asthma control. I, for one, would be most grateful!

Here's to the first frost... Baltic_Celt

Here's the article:
http://aafa.org/pdfs/FinalPublicList_AC_2006.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado