U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,065 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Recently got a job in Eagle Colorado and will be relocating soon. Looking for advice on living in any town between Glenwood Springs and Edwards/Avon. Initially I was thinking Edwards due to proximity to Vail/Beaver Creek, and it seemed to have more amenities there - but prices are making me think otherwise. Some friends recommended Glenwood Springs. Things that matter are schools, overall quality of the town, availablilty of natural foods, gyms/yoga, and probably most importanly job opportunities for my spouse (she works in the finance sector - I realize this might be difficult). I'm assuming all of the towns have roughly the same access to outdoor activities and things to do for children (I have a 3yo and a 1yo). Natually cost of living is a big factor as well.

Any general thoughts on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
2,709 posts, read 5,676,837 times
Reputation: 4727
The commute through Glenwood Canyon to Eagle is lovely in the summer and a mess in the winter. If you are working in Eagle live there too, it's a great community to raise a family, Eagle Ranch is a family mecca for the valley, you could even look at Gypsum's Cotton Ranch, but Eagle is a better match for kids.

There are plenty of yoga/gym things in Eagle, Gypsum, Edwards and Avon. For natural foods, there is a farmer's market in Eagle Ranch in the summer, one in Edwards too and a huge one in Vail. Basalt has a Whole Foods and Glenwood has a small Natural Grocers.

Your wife will have more luck finding a job in Edwards, Avon or Vail over Glenwood.

The paper Vail Colorado | VailDaily.com News and craigslist: high rockies classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events are the best places to look for rentals in the area. I do suggest you rent for the first year, this area can be fickle for jobs and hard to adjust to for folks that are use to regular amenities of normal towns, but it's an amazing place to live if you can manage it. Congrats on the job and welcome to the Valley.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
 
9,809 posts, read 17,514,280 times
Reputation: 7471
Let me guess, you'll be working at the airport.

For starters this area has a very high cost of living. Single family homes are very pricey, especially compared to local wages. That is something you will just have to deal with and there is no easy way around it.

Eagle/Gypsum has grown up enough it now has a lot more housing, shopping and services than it did 10 years ago. It's functional enough to live there now and not have to go anywhere else. It's also cheaper than Edwards. I like Edwards, enjoyed living there, would live there again, but bring money. It doesn't have the selection of family type homes Eagle does. The schools in the Vail Valley don't have a great reputation, so people that can afford it send their kids to private school.

Glenwood Springs is fine, it's a larger town, but also 30 miles away through a canyon that is not pleasant in winter and that has often closed for weeks at a time due to rockslides. You would have to decide if it's worth it for you dealing with that everyday.

In regards to jobs for your wife, there are plenty of banks around and often they need people due to a lot of turnover because of living costs up here.

Keep in mind this is no normal area. All of the towns listed are support/service towns for the high end resorts of Vail and Aspen where the million and billionaires go to play. It's also a very desirable place to live due to the skiing, scenery, lifestyle. Hence a high cost of living and few full time jobs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 AM
 
2 posts, read 17,065 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks for the replies...both very helpful. I'll go ahead and scratch Glenwood Springs off the list based purely on the commuting comments. Eagle would naturally be my first choice but I was mostly concerned with the lack of job opportunities for my wife. The comment about the schools was a bit of a shock...I was under the impression that the local options were ok (Brush Creek anyways). Eagle Ranch looks like it might be a nice option. I'm a little concerned about the lack of natural foods in the wintertime as I'm a bit of a health nut.

Really looking forward to the move. We currently live in one of the highest cost of living zip codes in the US so we shouldn't be too startled with prices in CO.

and good guess on the airport thing...what gave it away?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 AM
 
Location: On the sunny side of a mountain
2,709 posts, read 5,676,837 times
Reputation: 4727
You'll fit right in with all the health nuts here, this is a very health conscious area, plenty of people ski well into their 80's and beyond. Osage Gardens in New Castle does a year round CSA, they were also at the Winter Farmer's Market in Edwards this year. Osage Gardens | The Four Season Family Farm of the Roaring Fork Valley and Colorado River Corridor City Market, our major grocer has a good selection of organic and local.

Many of my friends have kids in school here and are pretty happy with the public options, some do send their kids to St. Claire's too. I think the kids in the area are generally well educated good kids, but as always parental involvement is a big part of the equation.

Eagle is 15-20 minutes from Edwards and just a few minutes more to Avon. If your wife is in banking there is a plethora of banks in the area, as well as some small investment firms. It is hard to find a professional career unless you move here for that reason, but it's not impossible due to high cost of living and lots of turnover.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,290 posts, read 7,505,598 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

Eagle/Gypsum has grown up enough it now has a lot more housing, shopping and services than it did 10 years ago. It's functional enough to live there now and not have to go anywhere else. It's also cheaper than Edwards. I like Edwards, enjoyed living there, would live there again, but bring money. It doesn't have the selection of family type homes Eagle does. The schools in the Vail Valley don't have a great reputation, so people that can afford it send their kids to private school.
I'm curious wanneroo when the last time was that you actually lived in the Vail Valley? When I was teaching in W. Colorado, the schools overall in the Vail Valley didn't have a terrible reputation. We had 2 students in my teaching program that did their internships at Vail Valley schools and they had far fewer issues with behavior problems, lack of parental involvement and test scores than many of our other cohorts in the program. This was in 2006-2007.

To the OP, just like anywhere in rural Colorado, schools aren't funded as well as the bigger districts and cities. However, this doesn't mean the quality of education is poor. Do a little research on the schools in the areas you are considering and I bet you'll be satisfied overall.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
 
9,809 posts, read 17,514,280 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapabearUH60 View Post
Thanks for the replies...both very helpful. I'll go ahead and scratch Glenwood Springs off the list based purely on the commuting comments. Eagle would naturally be my first choice but I was mostly concerned with the lack of job opportunities for my wife. The comment about the schools was a bit of a shock...I was under the impression that the local options were ok (Brush Creek anyways). Eagle Ranch looks like it might be a nice option. I'm a little concerned about the lack of natural foods in the wintertime as I'm a bit of a health nut.

Really looking forward to the move. We currently live in one of the highest cost of living zip codes in the US so we shouldn't be too startled with prices in CO.

and good guess on the airport thing...what gave it away?
I would still look at Glenwood, just to see it and see what you think. But yes there is the commute issue.

I grew up with US Army Aviation and am familiar with the high altitude training at the airport.

Also Denver is 2 hours away, so anything you lack, it's always a nice trip to get out of town as it's easy to get cabin fever in the mountains. There is a Whole Foods in Denver West right on the west side of Denver Metro. There are farmer markets in the Vail Valley in summer and most of the local stores are reasonably stocked.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
 
9,809 posts, read 17,514,280 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm curious wanneroo when the last time was that you actually lived in the Vail Valley? When I was teaching in W. Colorado, the schools overall in the Vail Valley didn't have a terrible reputation. We had 2 students in my teaching program that did their internships at Vail Valley schools and they had far fewer issues with behavior problems, lack of parental involvement and test scores than many of our other cohorts in the program. This was in 2006-2007.

To the OP, just like anywhere in rural Colorado, schools aren't funded as well as the bigger districts and cities. However, this doesn't mean the quality of education is poor. Do a little research on the schools in the areas you are considering and I bet you'll be satisfied overall.
2007, but I am very well connected locally with family and friends and I was just back there recently. The opinion is that private schools are the way to go. The main issue is there are so many children of illegal immigrants, they speak spanish, many times have no interest in english and come from varying backgrounds of education not up to standard. So hence the teachers are constantly juggling all this in the classroom and the kids are not learning all that well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,290 posts, read 7,505,598 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
2007, but I am very well connected locally with family and friends and I was just back there recently. The opinion is that private schools are the way to go. The main issue is there are so many children of illegal immigrants, they speak spanish, many times have no interest in english and come from varying backgrounds of education not up to standard. So hence the teachers are constantly juggling all this in the classroom and the kids are not learning all that well.
That is definitely an issue in the area, but hard to avoid completely in almost any W. Colorado location. I can definitely see where private school might be a better option, if you can afford it. I believe there are some good charter schools in the district too, so worth looking into.

When looking at school performance online, Eagle Co. Schools ranks slightly above the state average. So, while there may be some issues, it's clear that the quality of education is still good. Here is a good link that shows these results. You can click through and look at performance, accountability, etc. https://edx.cde.state.co.us/SchoolVi...te=3l17zxygs_4
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
 
1 posts, read 7,930 times
Reputation: 12
Live in Glenwood Springs, send your kids to Rocky Mountain.

Our family lived in Edwards, AND Glenwood Springs, & now lives in Jackson, WY. There is no friendlier, or accessible town than Glenwood. The school in GS is so/so-

It really is a one of a kind place. Something very special about it-more families so there is less of a resort town mentality where ppl come and go, get their fill and leave.

Best
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top