Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,377 times

Advertisements

I came across this article on yahoo this morning and I thought it was kind of silly:

Legal pot in Colo., Wash. poses growing dilemma - Yahoo! News

I don't know how long the link will stay active but to summarize, most state agricultural extensions are federally funded and cannot give advice about how to grow MJ. Gardening can be very difficult in Colorado so I thought I would create an open thread for everyone to pool tips on growing anything, but esp MJ. When I first came to CO, I thought gardening in all this sunshine would be a snap. It can be very difficult, esp at altitude. Challenges include: alkaline soil and water, extreme variations in temperature, lack of CO2, low atmospheric pressure (contributing to dehydration of plants), excess UV light (too much of a good thing), hail, wind, and hungry deer. At the beginning, I had the same experience. I would plant something, and initially it would take off. But then, as the plant matured, it would struggle and then die. At first, I thought it was my home made compost so I switched to a commercial bagged potting soil. Same result, good initial growth,struggle,death. I experimented for a while before I determined the cause. I bought a cheap, digital PH tester and discovered that my well water was alkaline. Since it's so dry, I had my plants on a drip. The water would evaporate very quickly and the lack of atmospheric pressure contributed to this. As the water evaporated, the minerals in the water were deposited in my soil and accumulated until the alkalinity of the soil became toxic to my plants. If you google "soil acidifier" you'll see that there are different ways, natural and chemical, to bring down the ph of your soil. I've had success with pine needles, peat moss, and diluted urine (added bonus is increase in nitrogen). Also, I use plastic sheet ground cover to keep the moisture in the soil. Black sheet plastic also warms the soil and encourages root growth in the spring. I put my drips in first, then cover the row with plastic. I keep the drips under the plastic but near enough to the plant so I can peek in through the hole in the sheet where the plant stem is and make sure the drip is functioning properly. In the summer, it will get too hot so cover it with whatever ground cover you have, pebbles, tree bark, mulch,etc,etc. You have to pay attention to your basics, soil nutrients, moisture content, ph, hours of sunlight, etc,etc but if you do, you will be awarded with a nice garden. I gave up trying to grow tomatoes at 8000 feet until a neighbor suggested that I try Siberian Reds. I bought some seeds on ebay and now, I'm getting a crop. Also, if you are new to Colorado and you are not on city water, don't assume that you can have a garden here. Rural water is strictly regulated. If you have an in-house permit for your well, it means just that; you can only grow inside your house. You need an augmentation certificate or a domestic well to legally water an outside garden. Feel free to contribute your gardening tips but if you want to rant about legalization, please post to the other threads about moral/legal issues. I'd like this to be about gardening and the challenges/solutions we face as high altitude gardeners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I would use a greenhouse, growing season is too short here, nights too cool. Have fun. Watch out for those black helicopters.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Whether inside or out

Marijuana can grow outside in the Rockies with little more than water. If the colloquial term, there is a good reason it is often referred to as "weed." It is a tough and adaptable plant.

In its more preferred climates, it can be found growing wildly in such as roadside ditches. More ideally, it prefers milder climates, such as in Humboldt County, California, and thus one of the reasons so often widely grown there. Although it will tolerate conditions far from preferred, obviously, as any plant, it will welcome nurturing towards providing that it likes best.

If not a necessity, greenhouses will work quite well in this climate. Baring that, then just a happy spot in your home. Due certain, uhm, concerns in the past, these plants have often been quite successfully grown in closets, attics and so forth. Then, proper ventilation is required, but also lights with the proper spectrum and intensity. This applies to any location without enough natural sunlight.

There is a great deal of knowledge on this subject floating about, and having been published in a number of books. The aspiring gardener would be well advised to at least learn the basics before proceeding. Your plants will thank you for the effort, and an excellent result expected.

ps. Do not overlook the exact type of seed used. From that all else will be determined, if naturally influenced by the growing environment. There are two basic strains: indica and sativa. With many variations in what the final result will be, as well as adaptability of the plant for various conditions. Consider this closely. Look online for seed purveyors, such as in BC.

Last edited by Idunn; 02-25-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Never grow from seeds, it's impossible to tell whether they are male or female. (male being useless).

Always grow from a cutting or seedling. Obtaining these legally however, will be the challenge. You can't just (yet) walk into a store and buy one.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Marijuana can grow outside in the Rockies with little more than water.
Have you ever tried to grow it? If so, at what altitude?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Never grow from seeds, it's impossible to tell whether they are male or female. (male being useless).

Always grow from a cutting or seedling. Obtaining these legally however, will be the challenge. You can't just (yet) walk into a store and buy one.
That's true, but I think the plant is a stronger plant from seeds. especially if you keep your own (segregate one male plant with one female plant ) seeds. From seeds you could end up with 50% or more males (to be destroyed), or, if you're lucky all females. It's a chance you take, but worth it in my opinion.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Possible

Quote:
If so, at what altitude?

About 7,600 feet in elevation. It can be done.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Is this the mary jane forum or the Colorado forum that primarily focuses on relocation?

Looking at the forum, if I was interested in moving to the state it would look like pot is the main interest of life in Colorado. Probably time for some of this to get moved or consolidated into other threads.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,089 times
It's not THAT hard to determine sex but I do agree with using clones because it's a sure thing and it eliminates a step and saves time.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Is this the mary jane forum or the Colorado forum that primarily focuses on relocation?

Looking at the forum, if I was interested in moving to the state it would look like pot is the main interest of life in Colorado. Probably time for some of this to get moved or consolidated into other threads.
It was meant as a thread for new-comers to Colorado about the challenges of high altitude gardening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado