U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM

12 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

Would the drive from conifer be awful beacuse of the distance or is it a generally unpleasant trip. Its about an hour right? My work area will probably come close to a 100 mile radius around home, and put me in a different place on almost a daily basis, so I guess itll be more about where the better half finds work. I plan on tackling some of these the logistical questions while im out there just to get a person feel for the travel. Sorry I have so many questions, I can say it enough how much I appreciate those of you being supportive. I don't know if there is a way to private message on this but if there is ill definitely get you guys each a ticket to one of my shows while im out there (if you like bluegrass) haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_ct View Post
Thanks for the input. I have pretty much ahave a secure offer in boulder with plenty of work availble in my field. My wife ob the other hand is going to have to do alittle searching. My average commute now is alittle over an hour plus travel between offices and jobsites ( I put 65,000 miles on my work vehicle last year ), so I don't know if that can help yall add a few towns to our list. I am also very active musician (im actually playing some shows along the way to help pay for the trip.), im assuming boulder has plenty of acoustic musician friendly places to play right? This may seem alittle weird to ask, but in CT, pretty much every town can be summed up in one or two words (I.e. wealthy, happening, artsy, farmtown, urban, quaint). Is anyone willing to try to do that with some of the towns we yalkes about. (I know it seems wrong) but I also know theres towns here that I would steer any newcommers away from. Thanks so much for the help. Im glad someone mentioned conifer, thats also on our list.
I think when you visit you'll gain an appreciation for the terrain you don't have right now. Looking at a road map doesn't put in perspective the terrain and things look closer than they are. Colorado is about as polar opposite as can be to how everything is laid out in CT.

Once you break the edge of the mountains on the west side of Denver and climb in elevation, you almost immediately drop away from the city and you get into rugged terrain with a lot of elevation change. If you do move up into the mountains west of Denver Metro it's easy to be 4000 ft above Denver with an entirely different way of life and weather. Living up there and having to come down all the time for your work and other activities can be a pain in the butt.

Boulder. Here is how I sum it up. One, bring money. This is a town for the pseudo intellectual academia elite. Second, if you believe that obama is an all knowing, all feeling, all caring god that will provide you with everything you will ever need, enjoy bongo drum music and other "alt" types of music, think that humans are a scourge upon the earth(except those in Boulder of course), enjoy hanging around pseudo intellectual academics that have never done anything in the real world and like recreational drugs, like lots of rules and a "progressive" government, this is the town for you.

Realistically if you are going to work in the Boulder area, that is probably the best place to live or in a similar area on the prairie. Conifer and all the towns along US285 are unrealistic for you if you will be working in Boulder. I could easily see with traffic, depending on where your house is, you could end up with a 1.5 hour commute and not a fun one either.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_ct View Post
Would the drive from conifer be awful beacuse of the distance or is it a generally unpleasant trip. Its about an hour right? My work area will probably come close to a 100 mile radius around home, and put me in a different place on almost a daily basis, so I guess itll be more about where the better half finds work. I plan on tackling some of these the logistical questions while im out there just to get a person feel for the travel. Sorry I have so many questions, I can say it enough how much I appreciate those of you being supportive. I don't know if there is a way to private message on this but if there is ill definitely get you guys each a ticket to one of my shows while im out there (if you like bluegrass) haha!
Distance, traffic, elevation change and weather are problems. Due to the dramatic elevation change on that side of Denver it is the crossroads for weather patterns to collide and due to temperature changes, wind races up and down the mountains from the continental divide down to the prairie, so you have some extremely wicked wind in that area. That's why Denver International Airport is way out on the prairie 30 miles from the edge of the mountains.

It's also why the "foothills" up above Denver have never really taken off as a place to live. You can experience 4 seasons all in one day and maybe in an hour. Add in the commute and it's not for most people.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM

397 posts, read 588,461 times
There's a way to private message people on here. Just click on their screen name and there's a list of options. I just sent you a DM.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink If in the mountains

Boulder = liberal
Nederland = alternative

As asked for, each of these towns in the nutshell of a word. With that, naturally, leaving out a lot of nuance. Others will of course have their preferred terms; in the case of Boulder, perhaps: heaven, cesspit, heathen, etc.

Since apparently with at least one job in Boulder, I wouldn't consider something as far removed as Conifer. That makes far more sense if commuting into Denver. From Boulder it is a drive of about one hour, and one I would only highly recommend to an enemy. If, however, your wife ends up working near Denver, then of course this equation changes.

You'll find a good many people have opted to live in the foothills and commute into town. If not always so, most have the resources to do so, as it can be expensive. Particularly if the area happens to be in close proximity to the goods, services (and jobs) so many seek. One reason Conifer, et al, happen to be as popular due rather decent access via US 285. It is a lovely area, although my feeling others actually preferable.

As you'll soon discover when looking into this, Boulder is expensive. Real estate there will cost you a small fortune. That entirely aside from the ambience of the town, which some love and others loath just as much. In practical terms, you might find yourself for one reason or another living somewhat removed, living perhaps in Louisville or Broomfield.

If the mountains are calling you, from Boulder one of the best options in a town would be Nederland. Jamestown to the northwest, and Rollinsville to the southwest, are also potentially possibilities. Either being smaller than Nederland, which is not all that large at 1,337 residents; presumably this being but the town proper, with more calling it home on the outskirts. There are unincorporated, at times near subdivisions, between there and Boulder; but if a real town then Nederland is about it. It is a charming place in a beautiful setting which sees a certain number of tourists primarily in summer. I often like to refer to Nederland as the last best refuge for hippies in Colorado, and at least a little truth in that. Ward might feel insulted, and contest as much.

Do not discount the commute into Boulder. That town resides at an elevation of 5,430 feet, and it is uphill all the way to Nederland, at an elevation of 8,320 feet. It is a beautiful drive along Boulder Creek in a deep and striking canyon basically all the way. The road is well maintained, as it sees a fair amount of traffic (more people live off it than might be imagined), but it does snow in winter, and that is a canyon. Expect roughly a thirty minute drive between the two in good conditions, and longer after a recent snow.

The tradeoff might be worth it. Boulder has long since instituted growth boundaries in its notable green spaces surrounding the town. But that town having continued to infill, and now pushing the boundaries of small city with a population of near 100,000. Compared to that, you'll be well out in the woods in Nederland, yet still some services there and even a decent local grocery.

Although, if I might, one might wish to push on a bit further west in exploring the quaint hamlet of Eldora. It lies not far west of Nederland, but in the river canyon far below the ski area of the same name. There is even a proper main street and downtown, if quite brief. The greater town is composed mostly of cabins scattered in the vicinity. It remains as I imagine Nederland once was. This would entail just that much more time added to your commute. Although when not down to Boulder, then perhaps just a short drive to visit the "big city" of Nederland. It might begin to seem as much in comparison.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default I would agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Having lived in CT, I think you'll be in for a surprise as the population density is very different in Colorado. It is either very rural or very suburban or urban with not a lot in between.
I agree. It is very different. I was stunned when I moved here from a Boston suburb.

a. When you leave Hartford and head towards Boston, there is a town and then another and... until you arrive at Boston.
b. When you leave Denver and head towards Kansas City, there is Aurora and then 600 miles of prairie dogs. And, not a tree in sight.

a. When you stand in the center of a New England town there about 5 roads leading out of town. There are myriad ways to navigate between towns.
b. When you stand in the center of Bailey, there are 2. Really, one road, but it goes east-west. There is only one to navigate.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 12,126 times
Great info! That all was extremely helpful.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
Nederland is a right choice for what you are looking for; but if you want other places to look at too I'd suggest Eldorado Springs, Hwy 93 between Boulder and Golden and Hwy 36 north of Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado