U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:25 AM

12 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
New to the forum, I'm glad I found it. Im sure theres threads just like this some where but here I go anyway:
So this june mr and my family are renting an RV to travel from CT to CO in search of our future home town. The trip is going to cost about $5000 so coming out again before the move is for sure is probably not an option.
So basically I would really appreciate any info on towns we should be looking at while we are there. As of right now we feel like we will be looking in the greater Boulder area, and though we havent visited yet, we are interested in Nederland. So heres a bit about our situation, where do you think we should check out?
My wife and I are 23, we are VERY outdoor oriented, and have a 3 year old son. I am a specialized electrician and my wife is in the biomolecular science field. To be on the safe side lets assume our first jobs out there will netus about 100k total a year.we do own a home here that we expect to turn a decent profit on when we sell. Right now we live in a town of 1300 people, with a pub, and a music venue, but we are ten minutes from a major grocery and thirty minutes from a major shopping town. Idealy wed like to be in a similar sutiation in colorado. We would rather have to drive further to get to town than to be cramped up with neighbors. Proximity to outdoor recreation is a must. Any any tips or info would be awesome!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM

397 posts, read 588,461 times
I think Nederland would fit the description of what you are looking for. I also think maybe Conifer, Pine or Bailey would as well. I moved with my husband and 3 boys from NYC and wanted exactly what you wanted...small town but close to grocery stores and within a reasonable drive to major shopping, nightlife, and the like. Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 AM

129 posts, read 216,393 times
The big issue you will run into will be finding jobs in those small towns. Unfortunately, the jobs are just not there in the little mountain towns ... and if they were, they wouldn't be so little anymore!

If you live in Nederland and your wife is lucky enough to find a job in her field, it will be a minimum 30 minute commute pending no weather. More likely the position will be just outside Boulder, making it a 45 minute commute.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:26 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Having lived in CT, I think you'll be in for a surprise as the population density is very different in Colorado. It is either very rural or very suburban or urban with not a lot in between.

Once you climb into the mountains west of Denver and Boulder, there isn't a whole lot going on, so if you do live in the mountains it will mean a commute down to the population centers on the prairie and that commute is not always easy.

The job market is competitive in Colorado because everyone like yourself wants to move there, so I would get some good job offers first. Those job offers might make living up in the mountains unrealistic.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM

356 posts, read 513,556 times
Are there any jobs in Boulder for a specialized electrician and a biomolecular science? You employment prospects would determine where you can live, not the other way around.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input. I have pretty much ahave a secure offer in boulder with plenty of work availble in my field. My wife ob the other hand is going to have to do alittle searching. My average commute now is alittle over an hour plus travel between offices and jobsites ( I put 65,000 miles on my work vehicle last year ), so I don't know if that can help yall add a few towns to our list. I am also very active musician (im actually playing some shows along the way to help pay for the trip.), im assuming boulder has plenty of acoustic musician friendly places to play right? This may seem alittle weird to ask, but in CT, pretty much every town can be summed up in one or two words (I.e. wealthy, happening, artsy, farmtown, urban, quaint). Is anyone willing to try to do that with some of the towns we yalkes about. (I know it seems wrong) but I also know theres towns here that I would steer any newcommers away from. Thanks so much for the help. Im glad someone mentioned conifer, thats also on our list.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM

P.s. to ELCO5280,
Not sure what that comment was for, but it didnt have anything to do with any of the questions I asked. Obviously im not going to move somewhere without a job, hence me offering our occupations as a way of getting some insight into the local industry.
Thanks

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM

397 posts, read 588,461 times
With a job offer in Boulder, that is a game changer for my response. I don't think that Conifer, Pine or Bailey would work for you. The commute would be awful on a daily basis. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM

129 posts, read 216,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_ct View Post
P.s. to ELCO5280,
Not sure what that comment was for, but it didnt have anything to do with any of the questions I asked. Obviously im not going to move somewhere without a job, hence me offering our occupations as a way of getting some insight into the local industry.
Thanks
I've only been on this site for about a month, but nearly every thread about moving to CO has been from someone who does NOT have a job lined up in the area. None of us assume that one does when they do not post it, and it really is a make or break thing here.

It might be obvious to you that you will not move without a job, but it isn't to us.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
With a job offer in Boulder, that is a game changer for my response. I don't think that Conifer, Pine or Bailey would work for you. The commute would be awful on a daily basis. Good luck with your search.
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Its super comforting to know theres people on here willing to help strangers.thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado