U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 2nd best Downtown in Colorado is....
Colorado Springs 9 19.57%
Boulder 17 36.96%
Pueblo 4 8.70%
Fort Collins 7 15.22%
Grand Junction 1 2.17%
Durango 4 8.70%
Other, please elaborate in a posting! 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM

12,170 posts, read 20,920,900 times

Advertisements

I agree with about Colorado Springs and have said that for years about the size of their downtown.

One thing this thread has done it got me to think about what I value in downtown's. While I like the downtown's in Aspen, Boulder, Telluride and Manitou Springs they are nothing more then glorified malls in my opinion. Where Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo and even Fort Collins are actual business and government centers with shopping and restaurants as well. That is why I would classify them as the top downtown's in the state over cities like Boulder and Aspen.

My actual ranking would be:

1) Denver
2) Pueblo
3) Colorado Springs (despite its size for a MSA of 600,000 people)
4) Fort Collins

I took this picture when I was at the Wells Fargo Building yesterday, its my favorite highrise in Pueblo, so I decided to post it here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM

9,375 posts, read 18,176,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I went with Durango. For me it was a toss up between that and Boulder. I went with Durango because the downtown portion really is a bigger tourist destination and draws thousands from out of state every year while downtown Boulder is more of a locals' haunt. Plus I just wanted to give a small town a nod, considering people often zero in on the bigger towns and overlook some awesome places in the state.
Yes I too also contemplated between Boulder and Durango, but my heart leans towards Durango. Given the size of the town the downtown is bigger than expected and some stores and restaurants stay open later than expected. The look and feel of it makes it easy to imagine what it was liek a century ago. It's got a lot of charm and a very historic feel to it.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 PM

5,435 posts, read 8,079,739 times
I completely overlooked Downtown Golden!!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,180,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
One thing this thread has done it got me to think about what I value in downtown's. While I like the downtown's in Aspen, Boulder, Telluride and Manitou Springs they are nothing more then glorified malls in my opinion. Where Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo and even Fort Collins are actual business and government centers with shopping and restaurants as well. That is why I would classify them as the top downtown's in the state over cities like Boulder and Aspen.
This is correct about some of the tourist towns you mentioned, but I lived in Boulder for 30+ years and it has a real downtown. City government, county government, post office, bank, lawyer, realtor, massage therapist, insurance agent, clothing stores were all downtown. Downtown Boulder is more than the 4 blocks of the Boulder Mall. I've always thought Pueblo had a much nicer downtown than Colorado Springs. I do like the downtown area of Colorado City & Manitu Springs, but as you said, not real downtowns. I now live downtown Golden.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 PM

10,612 posts, read 10,987,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes I too also contemplated between Boulder and Durango, but my heart leans towards Durango. Given the size of the town the downtown is bigger than expected and some stores and restaurants stay open later than expected. The look and feel of it makes it easy to imagine what it was liek a century ago. It's got a lot of charm and a very historic feel to it.
Right. Colorado really only has one big city, and that's Denver. Colorado Springs and Fort Collins are medium and small cities, respectively.. I consider Boulder to be part of the Denver metro area (which is sacrilege to some) and Pueblo and Grand Junctions to be large towns. All these cities/towns are too big to have the "cool" small town downtown feel and not big enough to hang with Denver. They are all great in their own right. But outside of Denver, it's the small towns that make Colorado awesome. At least that's my opinion.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Right. Colorado really only has one big city, and that's Denver. Colorado Springs and Fort Collins are medium and small cities, respectively..
Agreed.

Quote:
I consider Boulder to be part of the Denver metro area.
Agreed.

Quote:
Pueblo and Grand Junctions to be large towns. All these cities/towns are too big to have the "cool" small town downtown feel and not big enough to hang with Denver. They are all great in their own right. But outside of Denver, it's the small towns that make Colorado awesome. At least that's my opinion.
I disagree with this, especially with Pueblo. With a MSA of 160,000 people Pueblo really is a small city and with the amentias downtown has it has a "city" feel more then a "town" feel to it. I mean just look at the grant application for the convention center/ Riverwalk that was approved. It will consist of doubling the size of the convention center to over 100,000 square feet and adding on a arena that can be used for concerts and larger conventions as well as for the PBR University. How many "towns" have anything like that in their downtown? Not to mention the performing arts center and performing arts theater along with the business district and historic shopping district. I know downtown Denver is in another league (for now) but I would say that downtown Pueblo is a crown jewel for the state as well and attracts many out of state visitors and that was why we got the first grant as well because the state agrees with that.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,007,883 times
Wink Well, maybe

Quote:
… downtown Pueblo is a crown jewel for the state as well and attracts many out of state visitors …

With due respect, I'm curious, how many out of state tourists does Pueblo attract—or even know it exists?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM

9,375 posts, read 18,176,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
With due respect, I'm curious, how many out of state tourists does Pueblo attract—or even know it exists?
I've driven through Pueblo a few times on I-25 and all I remember is seeing a giant old steel mill and remembering how unexpected it was to see that. Honestly Pueblo has never really been on my radar, though I have heard they got good green chile up there and coming from NM that's a big plus in my book. Perhaps I'll make a stop in downtown Pueblo for lunch on my next trip up to Denver.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
This is from the grant and was supported by a third party analysis. That was why Pueblo ended up getting all the money they asked for with the application as this downtown does have a positive impact on the state.

Existing Components of the RTA Project already attract a substantial level of out-of-state tourism visits, over 300,000 visitors annually, with an estimated 20 to 30 percent coming from out-of-state. With the addition of new venues and expanded facilities, current estimates are expected to more than double (ranging from 30 to 60 percent, depending on the venue).

Visitors to Pueblo currently travel from a relatively extensive trade area, stretching from California to the Midwest, and from Canada to Mexico. Development of the Pueblo PBR University and Heritage of Heroes Project will not only increase its penetration within this existing trade area, but expand the overall boundaries of the trade area, thereby increasing its impact.

This is a link to the urban renewal page. They have a link to the grant that is in a PDF format.

Pueblo Urban Renewal Authority | Making our community a better place to live, work, and play

KRDO 13 talked about it as well:

http://www.chieftain.com/downtown-pu...a4bcf887a.html

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-08-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I've driven through Pueblo a few times on I-25 and all I remember is seeing a giant old steel mill and remembering how unexpected it was to see that. Honestly Pueblo has never really been on my radar, though I have heard they got good green chile up there and coming from NM that's a big plus in my book. Perhaps I'll make a stop in downtown Pueblo for lunch on my next trip up to Denver.
FYI the steel mill is not in downtown but the south side and is one of the main reason Pueblo is here. In fact they are the most profitable they have been in their 140 year history and has helped "build the west" and continues to do so today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or